PDA

View Full Version : Can Photoshop CS2 address 4GB RAM?

.src.visualisation
11-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I've just had to work on some huge presentation boards on my new computer (see sig) and I came across a problem I didn't expect. Simply opening and saving files took absolutely forever, never mind transforming.

I have the option of upgrading to 4GB RAM, but I don't want to do it if Photoshop won't address that amount. I'm dual-booting XP and XP x64 if that makes a difference.

tb582
11-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Photoshop does not really have anything to do with limiting the amount of RAM that is used, There are a couple different things you could try, Photoshop CS2 is a 32bit app, and when you have it running at a 32bit OS it can access the first 2GB of RAM on the computer, but if your using xp pro WITH sp2 then you can set the 3GB switch in the boot.ini file, which allows Photoshop to use up to 3GB of RAM, Microsoft knows that this "switch" doesn't work with all computers...).

If you wanted to run Photoshop CS2 on your computer with a 64-bit processor and running xp pro x64, that has 4GB of RAM or more Photoshop will use 3GB for its image data. you can see the actual amount of RAM Photoshop can use in the Maximum Used By Photoshop number when you set the Maximum Used by Photoshop slider in the Memory & Image Cache preference to 100%. The RAM above the 100% used by Photoshop, which is from approximately 3 GB to 3.7 GB, can be used directly by Photoshop plug-ins (some plug-ins need large chunks of contiguous RAM), filters, actions, etc....

IF you wanted to get really CRAZY and go up to 6GB the RAM, above 4GB is used by the OS as cache for the Photoshop scratch disk data, and data that was previsouly written directly to the hard drive by the Photoshop is new cached in this "high RAM" before being written to the hard drive. So if your working with files large enough to take advantage of the extra 2GB of RAM the RAM cache can really spped performance of Photoshop.

Possibily another option:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 04:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.