PDA

View Full Version : Judge Issues Injunction on Mich. Game Law

RobertoOrtiz
11-10-2005, 04:32 AM
Quote:
" A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction Wednesday stopping a Michigan law that bars retailers from selling or renting violent video games to minors from going into effect until a lawsuit filed by the gaming industry is resolved."

>>link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051110/ap_on_bi_ge/video_game_lawsuit;_ylt=AgqNto_TWx8NCM7GGYNOS5es0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-)

-R

Monkeyman04
11-10-2005, 04:46 AM
Well good. I hope that law doesn't pass, cause as the article said, it would be infringing on our First Amendment right.

xino
11-11-2005, 04:19 AM
Why anyone would want to stop this is beyond me. So the supporters of this want GTA, Leisure Suit Larry, and the like to be accessible to 8 yr. olds? Even I'm not even a parent. Go figure.

Sometimes I'm sad to live in a country where it's perfectly fine to decapitate someone fictionally, but if you talk about sex, it must be 18 or over. No wonder our kids have sexualy problems like they do.

mangolass
11-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Why anyone would want to stop this is beyond me. So the supporters of this want GTA, Leisure Suit Larry, and the like to be accessible to 8 yr. olds? Even I'm not even a parent. Go figure.

Minor means under 18, not 8 year olds who probably can't afford to buy games. And this isn't about M rated games, it's about games that are "violent" ~ as in, most video games ~ being off limits to most teenagers, and therefore probably not stocked on store shelves.

LT

PhantomDesign
11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Something like this would prevent 16 year olds from purchasing Half Life.

pgp_protector
11-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Something like this would prevent 16 year olds from purchasing Half Life.

Is that bad ? There mommy can still buy it.

PhantomDesign
11-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Is that bad ? There mommy can still buy it.
What about current game rating systems? It seems to me that a blanket restriction based on some ambiguous standard is a bit ridiculous. Next thing you know, toy guns will be banned.

PhilOsirus
11-12-2005, 02:23 AM
The problem with this kind of law is that it relies on vague words. It does not say the ESRB should be considered when speaking of what a violent game is or is not, it just says "violent games". The US is not know for passing such extremely vague laws, thanks to their constitution. The ERSB has been doing a MUCH better job than any other entertainment rating board associations for other mediums.

JDex
11-12-2005, 02:48 AM
This law would make great games that are made for kids and older like Kingdom Hearts, and even games from our youth that some have called violent, like Pac Man (believe it or not) illegal to sell to minors.

The only way that I think this kind of law would be fair (get ready... extreme comment), is to make it illegal to sell anything to a minor. If you want parents to have control over what their children are exposed to, make it illegal to have commerce interactions with minors just like contracts made by minors are null and void.

If some kids are incapable of making moral/ethical/intelligent decisions about whether to go on a killing spree after purchasing and playing Kingdom Hearts, well then all kids shouldn't be able to purchase a candy bar... because they may make a pipebomb from it.

Now, seriously folks... I believe there needs to be restrictions that are content based, but in a world where extremists are every where (extremists of all types) how do we strike a balance that pleases and protects the most people?

There is only one solution, buy a MMORPG (if you're old enough to buy anything), buy a kilo of cocaine (legal if you're wealthy and powerful) and play the MMORPG until you die. It is the only solution.

pgp_protector
11-12-2005, 04:16 AM
What about current game rating systems? It seems to me that a blanket restriction based on some ambiguous standard is a bit ridiculous. Next thing you know, toy guns will be banned.

No, the equivilent would be that Children couldnt buy the toy guns, but there parents still could.

Cyborgguineapig
11-12-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm 21 now and Half-Life came out in what 1998, do the math I was about 15 when I bought Half-Life. Between the period when i turned 18 and present day I don't have as much time to play/purchase games as I once did, you know because we grow up a little, get jobs, college ect. One day (if these people keep pushing this safecode crap and laws) we might not have any kids playing games at all. Factor in America's children maturing at a quicker age nowadays and the importance on increasingly challenging youth, by the time their 18 and able to buy that mature title, they may not be interested in buying it at all. Plus there will always be ways of friends borrowing games from friends older than them anyways, I'm not saying I'm for minors playing violent video-games, I'm basically saying that this law is impracticle and all 18yr old-related laws in that matter in the US are not curved to the rate at which children are evolving.. . Sexually and mentally the average 16 yr old of today is like the 18 yr old of yesterday.

My stand on this law is that it will hurt the game industry. Morally speaking its not good for young kids to play violent games but I played them at a young age and look how I turned out:DEh it built character. We don't want to hide everything from the eyes of the new generations, that rediculous and it feeds a generation of lifeless people without character or perspective or individual personality. And also, event though life and death are 10 second intervals within games, they can teach us what NOT to do when near, around or in general proximity to a red metal barrel:p

And I will tell you from a kid who was exposed to such evil of violent games and the deep dark portals of the internet, ever since I first clicked on a link to O*****.com or R*****.com or F**** of *****I have valued driving safely on the road and through hours and hours upon hours of Gran Tourismo and other racing games and hand on driving experience associated, I can say I well know how and when the limit of a cars handling can be pushed to that breaking point where you can lose control. So as I see that kid drive 105+ mph down the fast lane past me all I can think is that he's probably not seen the faces of death videos like I did when I was like 16-17. Visual images that are drilled into my brain every time I decide I want to exceed faster than the speedlimit. Consequences a shielded child who has never been exposed to would not even think about.

Thats my Long $.02

Bsmith
11-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I bought FarCry (xbox) at EB games a couple of weeks ago, and they checked my I.D. and I'm 20 years old. I was kinda like wtf?

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2005, 07:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.