PDA

View Full Version : Creating pipes and wires

tin-tin
11-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Whats the best method for creating wires and pipes like this http://www.3dm3.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=48

I've tried to do this in 3ds max but have had no success.

GradiusCancer
11-10-2005, 02:52 AM
in maya, I usually draw out a curve and extrude the shape I want out along that curve. Possibly lofting is what you're looking for? Not sure. For less curved out stuff, I'll start with a cylindar or whatever shape I need, and extrude out detail as I go along. Sometimes a heavily modified torus is the answer.

SHEPEIRO
11-10-2005, 10:28 AM
lofting is ok for getting the shape, but will need alot of optimising, as for fittings like the bits that hold the pipes to walls and joints, i would create these seperatly, texture them, place, then add to pipes.

if you do all this befor lofting then you can array the fittings along the pipes, saving time.

tin-tin
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info on lofting found loads of tutorial on 3ds max manual, a little practice is needed. Extruding with meshsmooth works great too, GradiusCancer,Shepeiro U guys rock :thumbsup:

Wayne Adams
11-10-2005, 01:12 PM
create a line shape in 3dsmax then under its options check renderable, generate mesh, and then set the thickness. no lofting, no fuss, no muss. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR GAME ART UNLESS YOU ARE NORMAL MAPPING OR OPTIMIZING THE CRAP OUT OF IT.

Ivars
11-10-2005, 02:51 PM
renderable splline works perfect for games. There's a tickbox for "adaptove" or "optimized" or something like that. (don't remember exactly) that will only tesselate the pipe in the bends. Best thing ever. Really miss i t in Maya :(

SHEPEIRO
11-10-2005, 03:22 PM
yeah maxes splinez sucks, athough i have found if you set them up with one poly loop between vertexes then use an optimise modifier , after messing around with settings it can come up right, good for alot of pipes, but useless for anything but pipes with beveled right angles. also mucks up any generated uvws,

i havnt used lofts for a while, but actually i think they are better tnan i said earlier, i was remembering max 4 or somethting, i think that the adaptive lofts wont need any optimising, should work like splines in maya like ivars said, should.

ninjacore
11-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Use Splines. make them renderable and generate a mesh, put the amount of sides down, use INTERPOLATION to turn the amount of loops down. u dont need to faff about with the obscene optimize filter.

if your on max 8, check out the sweep modifier !

Bing. your done.

tin-tin
11-10-2005, 06:58 PM
All the suggestion you guys given me work, been busy practising and I've learnt something new today. I don't need to optimise it, its for hi res stuff for normalmaping, I'm pretty cool with it now. thanks all you guys for helping me.

EricChadwick
11-10-2005, 11:18 PM
WireBundler is a good tool to have...
http://www.neilblevins.com/soulburnscripts/soulburnscripts.htm

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 11:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.