PDA

View Full Version : wip: first character

DWIEMER
02-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Hi,

It's been a while but i've been tweeking a lot. Still not finished with the head. When the head is finished i'll concentrate on the rest (need more detail).

Any comments really appreciated!

gr. dwiemer

http://www.dwiemer.com/cgtalk25.jpg
http://www.dwiemer.com/cgtalk26.jpg
http://www.dwiemer.com/cgtalk27.jpg
http://www.dwiemer.com/cgtalk28.jpg

BASSit
02-26-2002, 07:18 PM
WOW ! The head is really looking much much better now ! I think itīs because of the new mouth, donīt know...

I would left the head as it is - maybe just deleting some polys as shown in the little pic below ! Nothing else at this moment . . .

DWIEMER
02-26-2002, 07:25 PM
i changed the head proportions, nose, mouth and eyes.
I need to tweak the area around the mouth, but there not poly's, nurbs. The cv's their are a bit messed up, there are to many to handle easily but otherwise i don't get the details in other area's

thanks for the compliments

gr. Dennis

leigh
02-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Hey man, this guy is looking cool! He's looking quite different from the last time I saw him....
Suggestions:
I won't comment on the head too much because you said you're still tweaking it. But I will say that you need to take a close look at the shapes of the polygons on and around the chin. There is some strange pinching there - as if he were made out of clay, and the sculptor had dragged his fingers through the wet clay there. Strange comparison, I know, but it's the only way I can describe it. That often happens from 3-sided polys as opposed to 4-sided ones. Anyway.... you're still tweaking that.
The clothes are looking good!! They are hanging in a natural way - they look soft. The creases around the groin are improved. The way the pants pull towards the turnups is good. Are you going to use a soft-body dynamics engine on the clothes? That helps a lot with the animation side of it...
The one thing that bugs me a bit about the body are the shoes. They seem to be a bit too small, and too high (not flat enough). They need to be quite a bit longer, I think.
I think you should then concentrate completely on the head (the ears need a lot of work I think - the shape isn't quite right), tweak it to perfection, and voila! A lovely human mesh!
Then, I say COOL, START TEXTURING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am waiting in suspense for updates.........
Keep up the excellent work!:) :) :)

leigh
02-26-2002, 07:40 PM
a bit more to say.....
I know this might sound a bit strange, but have you noticed that his clothes look very thick? Is he supposed to be dressed up for winter? Because one gets the impression that his clothes are made from very thick materials.
Did you model his clothing seperate from his body, or is it all one model? I personally, would model the clothing seperately, so that I could use Motion Designer on it seperately - that way, you could get the definition of his body showing through his clothing. This is useful not only for animation, but even for still renders.
Also, and I know the head still needs quite a lot of work, but why did you model the hair? Why not use a hair engine? Or is he supposed to have a cartoonish look? Hair renderers like Sasquatch are very very very cool for hair - I really recommend them to everybody! Otherwise, like I said, the head needs quite a bit of work still. But I think you should finish off the body first so that you can concentrate solely on the head. When you get to that stage, post the head, and everyone here can help get that perfect too!

:D

DWIEMER
02-26-2002, 07:59 PM
> It's all one model, several nurbs surfaces. I thought i'd make the clothing bend around the body using deformers

> the clothing is indeed thick, he's going for the winter urban look, it's all denim and wool.

> i modelled the hair (btw needs more detail) because i thought to make it good using transparancy maps (like Stahlberg) but it's probably better with paintfx.

> for the head: a need to tweak the area around the mouth, the eyelids and tweeking / stitching his ears. Any other suggestions?

> He's going to be a mix between cartoon and airbrush

thanx for the helpfull advise! appreciate it a lot

gr.dennis

leigh
02-26-2002, 08:07 PM
Hey cool man.
Demin and wool - well, that's exactly what I thought it looked like - so well done there!
A mixture between catoon and airbrush - sounds great. Am really looking forward to seeing that. He has that sort of street / hip hop look to him, so I'm sure it'll look awesome.
Keep the updates coming!!!

DWIEMER
02-26-2002, 09:03 PM
thanx a bunch! a have a busy week (lot of last minute jobs) so i'll probably update it this weekend. I'll let you know.

Looking forward to the zits on your model :) or in nicer words: the progress

Do you do 3d for work or is it a timeconsuming obsession with a lot of dreams? How long are you 3d-ing?

gr. Dennis

leigh
02-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Check out my update this morning. No zits yet, but there are some skin blemishes.
I am a full time visual effects artist, but it's an obssession too!!
;)
Been 3d-ing for about 3 and a half years.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.