PDA

View Full Version : DreamWorks Animation Announces Cast for 'Kung Fu Panda'

Shaderhacker
11-10-2005, 12:20 AM
"GLENDALE, Calif., Nov. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- DreamWorks Animation announced today that two-time Academy Award(R) winner Dustin Hoffman, international superstar Jackie Chan, and award-winning actor Ian McShane are joining Jack Black in the cast of the computer-animated comedy "Kung Fu Panda." In addition, award-winning actress Lucy Liu is currently in talks with the studio to voice another main role."

I can't wait to see this movie. I always was interested in it the first time they told us when I was working at PDI. It should be pretty cool! :thumbsup:

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=PR&Date=20051109&ID=5268160&Symbol=US:DWA

-M

jasonsco
11-11-2005, 05:19 AM
We have a lot of great stuff (IMO) that's coming out over the next couple of years, but this is one I'm definitely enjoying myself.

umfridus
11-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Another voice cast consisting of big name movie stars who may or may not do decent jobs at voice acting. What else can be expected from a Dreamworks amination feature? I'm getting tired of this.

sporadic
11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Well, at least Jackie Chan has done voice overs. He's dubbed *his own* movies from Chinese to English.

FloydBishop
11-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Another voice cast consisting of big name movie stars who may or may not do decent jobs at voice acting. What else can be expected from a Dreamworks amination feature? I'm getting tired of this.

It's not just Dreamworks. Many of the CG studios use only big name talent for their projects. I agree that it is over done.

I think the voice work in many of the Dreamworks films has been pretty solid though. The voice work in "Madagascar" stands out in my mind as one of the best for the voice talent.

jeremybirn
11-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a strong cast. I'm glad they are giving some asian actors a chance if it is a kung-fu movie.

In addition, award-winning actress Lucy Liu is currently in talks with the studio to voice another main role.
That's surprising, studios don't usually announce prospective casting decisions before the deals are done.

-jeremy

angel
11-12-2005, 03:09 AM
It is all about marketing. Sadly, there are people out there that will not give a movie a chance because it doesn't have big Hollywood stars in the cast and the suits know this. They are just trying to appeal to a larger audience.

-

P_T
11-13-2005, 04:52 AM
I think using a well known actor with a distinctive voice is not such a good idea sometime. Me and some of my friends kept thinking Don Lino was Robert deNiro, Oscar was Will Smith and Fender was Robin Williams instead of the other way around.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2005, 04:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.