PDA

View Full Version : Game Idea

rubber-chicken
11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Game Idea
Hi, i have a great idea for a new game, but i dont know where to start, i could do ll the modelling etc. but my idea is based around tv show, how would i go about getting this strated or even see if it would be possible to do?

chris

Brain Trepaning
11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Of course it would be possible. The real question is whether or not you would be capable. Only time will answer that one...

I would start by asking the producers of the show if they want a game made.

AdamAtomic
11-09-2005, 08:48 PM
The first thing I would do is check out the different cheap/free game engine options out there. There are lots of websites and threads dedicated to this topic, we don't need another ;) These options should include modding for more expensive engines, since that is usually free and sometimes quite powerful.

The best way to start is to pick a simple game idea, like Pong, and try to build that in your game engine of choice.

If you get that working you will learn a LOT and be prepared to tackle a more complicated game idea.

DeadBoy
11-09-2005, 08:57 PM
I've done some work in the entertainment industry, and can tell you one thing I've noticed: no one will let you make money on their idea without getting theirs. That obvious fact aside, you could (as suggested above) send a letter to the production company AND the network that broadcasts it and ask for permission to do a not-for-profit game based on their characters.

As for the actual creation of the game, find yourself a level designer or a programmer. Many people here at work are making their own games, and use the Unreal Engine to play them. This engine comes for free with Unreal Tournament, and there are hundreds of tutorials on the web for it. But you won't be able to play your game by itself or on a console unless you have the thousands it cost to buy the standalone version of it (at least, thats what ive been told). But a buddy of mine made an entire game on it complete with cinematics and credits.

Good luck. You've got your work cut out for you!

Wayne Adams
11-10-2005, 01:30 PM
My wife is currently nagging me to do characters and a design document from one of her favorite shows (I wont say which but it would actually make a decent game) The way she plans it is that I do some concepting, a little modeling, and the document then she writes the producer and shows them the work. (I humor her, as I've told her for the last five years, it takes more than one man to build a game.) However. If something like a well written design document with a few good soild pieces of work impress the people who run things, (and they don't just take the idea for themselves) then you might have something. factors to remember:

You can not copyright anything, since you do not own it.

The document was be well written, but contain just enough to interest. Do not lay everything out for them.

Give it a shot. Don't write the whole game yourself because thats just senseless. Put together some stuff to ooohhh and aaahhh over and then see if they would like to front some dough on producing the thing.

DeadBoy
11-11-2005, 05:16 PM
The tough part is writing the producer and showing them the work. To do that you must write a variation of what beginners call a query letter, a short one-page pitch of the idea. And chances are, it will never make it to the producer. It will first go to his secretary, who filters the "undesirable mail." Then, if it gets past her, it goes to his PA (or intern), who filters it even more.

One way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to come up with the simple query letter- these are typically ONE PARAGRAPH long. I know, it's hard to do, but tighten your idea so that he doesn't have to hear your whole life story before getting to the meat. Then, let them know that you are creating this game as a demonstration of your abilility, and will not in any way attempt to make money or publicly distribute the game. Then say that if for any reason they would not like you to make this game, to reply to them as soon as possible and you will cease. Send this by certified mail so you have proof they received the letter.

Bet warned, most likely they will say no. But if it's a lesser-known show, you may have a shot. Just check and make sure they already don't have one in the works.

Good Luck!

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.