PDA

View Full Version : texture prob. Uv's change when animating

kriscain
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi,

I have a character.. Modelled/rigged and animated,
I've put a cylindrical map on him and texture. Looks great. Prob is
as soon as I play back animation the texture goes everywhere???
Why is this? Something I missed or a bug?

Any help would be appreciated as its driving me nuts!

CharlesVarenne
11-09-2005, 08:32 PM
It is because you probably use some 3D texture. Just link the 3D UV information to your model or put a 2D texture instead and thats should be fix.

kriscain
11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi,

Ive created a separate Shader and link it to my mesh... still doing the same as soon as I play back on Timeline... using a 2D texture map from photoshop on a straight lambert...
Any further ideas?

anthonymcgrath
11-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi,

I have a character.. Modelled/rigged and animated,
I've put a cylindrical map on him and texture. Looks great. Prob is
as soon as I play back animation the texture goes everywhere???
Why is this? Something I missed or a bug?

Any help would be appreciated as its driving me nuts!

look at the order of stuff you've done here mate - modelled/rigged/animated THEN textured him? basically the cylindrical projection is doing exactly that - projecting AFTER its calced the animation so your texture is simply going to slide across the model

Ideally you should model/texture/rig (texture and rig kind of go hand in hand with small tests I've found) and then animate dude. Dont know if maya 7 has allowed ppl to work non-linearly like the FANTASTIC way XSI has modelling planes but thats the general workflow :/

I heard at a maya/fusion forum in london this week that you can build a 'copy' of the character thats referenced in - when you edit points on this copy or add/amend textures they ripple thru to the rigged model - dont know how flexible this is - probably not very :(

best thing to do now - export out the animation (build a char set, make a clip then export the clip). detach your rigging (make sure char. returns to bindpose), texture up the character as best you can. Re-rig him and then import your character anim clip back onto the character..

thematt
11-10-2005, 08:43 AM
ok..this is really basic and well explain in the doc, but to avoid the swimming just go to your bind pose(hopefully you've texture him there) then select your character go to texturing->create texture reference object. done.

have fun

cheers

kriscain
12-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey,

Sounds stupid but I really have left texturing to the last point.
My tutor said it was possible to texture him at this stage...
i can scrap all the animation but really can't be bothered to re-rig and re-skin weight...
Anyway around this??

Would really, really be appreciated for a solution.

Ta

anthonymcgrath
12-15-2005, 10:09 AM
If your running maya6 you can actually just do the delete all non-skin history command. that'll allow you to texture the model up and kill all the nodes so your just left with the binded skin :)

i think the command is in the edit smooth skin menu under animation.

lovisx
12-15-2005, 03:39 PM
if you graph input output connections of the shape node of your mesh, you'll notice the last thing in the history of the shape node is a grayed out node with the name of your shape node but Orig added at the end. You copy your mesh then delete the uv history and then plug the copy mesh where the Orig mesh is. Just hook the copy mesh into the place where the orig is hooked via connection editor. To delete the uv history delete the nodes that appear in the history in the channel box editor. So take cutUV or whatever other uv history you have write it's name in the sel query, press enter then delete.

what this does it it feeds the mesh with the right uvs through the entire history stack, and gets rid of any swimming.

probably a bit complicated but it's a nice way to not have to worry about when you do uvs.

kriscain
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
awesome help here guys.

lovisx, what is the sel query?
Is this mel related?

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.