PDA

View Full Version : reflection question

cvliv
11-09-2005, 06:48 PM
i have a fresnel reflection working on the floor of this render. i was wondering why the item in section one is reflected as a large black panel and the stuff in section 2 reflects as it should.

and ideas?

PhillipCrond
11-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Make sure your ray depth (in render settings) is set above 4.

cvliv
11-10-2005, 03:01 PM
did that with no change in the result. on differenc is that the stuff in section 2 is modeled and textured and the stuff in section 1 is not. i dont know why that would make a difference. but if that gives any clues....

dann_stubbs
11-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Make sure your ray depth (in render settings) is set above 4.

what are the ray depth, reflection depth and shadow depth of the scene? (in render settings)

also what c4d version? (helpful with the new bugs being found in 9.5)

dann

cvliv
11-10-2005, 03:11 PM

i have cranked ray and reflection depth up to 10 just to see if that cured it. i have not cranked up shadow depth...

dann_stubbs
11-10-2005, 03:16 PM

i have cranked ray and reflection depth up to 10 just to see if that cured it. i have not cranked up shadow depth...

so i guess it did not... is the texture on a polygon plane or is it mapped to the actual big wall polygon.

if it is a polygon plane just holdingthe texture can you try moving it a bit further away from the wall

dann

cvliv
11-10-2005, 03:24 PM
FIX!!!

these coolers are built with a glass layer in front of the poly with the texture. when that glass layer is removed it renders fine. here is what the offending material looks like. why would this not show up properly in reflections and only reflect its base color?

dann_stubbs
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
FIX!!!

these coolers are built with a glass layer in front of the poly with the texture. when that glass layer is removed it renders fine. here is what the offending material looks like. why would this not show up properly in reflections and only reflect its base color?

not sure - was the glass layer intersecting the polygon mapped layer? did you try moving it further away and see if it cleared up?

how bout making a new different "glass" shader that is more standard settings and then if it works and reflects - slowly add back the setting you changed to see where it goes wrong.

dann

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.