PDA

View Full Version : Parametrical slide

Media
11-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi all.

I am very fond of the Slide (loop) script thats in csPolytools (or meshTools(?)). After installing Max 8 i now see the connect has this function parametrically. Great! However when closoing the dialogue box you cant slide anymore. Is it possible to access the code for connect and create a paramerical slide function from it? One that will work on any loop? I sure hope so. I cant code so i am hoping one of you supergurus can do this.

:)

Cheers!

- Media

marktsang
11-09-2005, 02:30 PM
you can try edge constarints to slide loops

turn on constraint to edges and move the loop

mark

Light
11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
You can also use Offset feature of Orionflame (http://www.orionflame.com) which lets you to slide a single edge loop with a specified amount along the surface normals.

Light

Media
11-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi. I am aware of both of your suggestions. However, sliding a loop with edgeconstraints isnt what i am looking for. This option does not take the objects topology in concideration (As the slide will). Ill have another look at Orion Flame, Light. I just installed Max 8 and havent installed any plugins yet. :)

The 3 modeling tools i really like but miss are Slide loop (with parameter controll), Solid chamfer and a chamfer with edgerounding as XSI has (with different corner options). I think MODO has this too.
I hope max can put this at some point. Oh well :)

Cheers!

JHN
11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
well for the chamfer part check out this gem (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2685307&postcount=5)!

Cheers,
Johan

Media
11-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey Johan. Ive already got that one installed on my system. Its brilliant when i want a mesh/turbosmooth modifier in my stack. However i miss just beeing able to pick a loop (say the edges of a box) and chamfer them x times and get a perfect rounded quad corner (not that fancy star that does nothing but harm :) ) As i said XSI has this so the algorithm exists.

But again thanks for the tip!

M,-

Light
11-12-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi. I am aware of both of your suggestions. However, sliding a loop with edgeconstraints isnt what i am looking for. This option does not take the objects topology in concideration (As the slide will). Ill have another look at Orion Flame, Light. I just installed Max 8 and havent installed any plugins yet. :)

The 3 modeling tools i really like but miss are Slide loop (with parameter controll), Solid chamfer and a chamfer with edgerounding as XSI has (with different corner options). I think MODO has this too.
I hope max can put this at some point. Oh well :)

Cheers!

You can slide a loop with Orionflame's Offset. Solid Chamfer is on my to-do list. Can you please give some information about chamfer with edgerounding?

And dont worry about installing Orionflame to a clean install of max. Orionflame is installed into 3 folders of which 2 are macroscript and ini file. The rest is core code put under stdscripts. There is also an uninstaller which makes things easier. :)

Light

Media
12-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Light! Im sorry this took such a long time but i couldnt fint the XSI video that had edge rounding(fillet if youd like) in it. But now i found out that Carrera 5 has the same function (and Maya i believe) so here is a video that shows it. I think this would be really handy in Max.

Cheers.

Edge rounding - Carrara 5 (http://server2.eovia.com/demos/carrara5/new_tools_bool.html)

Light
12-07-2005, 09:18 PM
You can do the same by using Continuous Chamfer feature of Chamfer X. Here (http://www.orionflame.com/discover/Modeling/Edit%20Edges/Chamfer%20X%2005.avi) is the video showing how it works.

Light

Rivendale
12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi Media, there is a feature in PolyBoost called SwiftLoop with wich you can slide loops interactively and also place a loop at a specific point. The good thing about this tool is that it can slide in two ways. You can either slide with relative distance to the sides for all verts in the loop or make the distance the same to the sides for all verts as the vert on the loop that you are dragging. It is very useful to have both these options. Check out this video that among other things shows this tool in action:

http://www.cmlcreative.com/Videos/PolyBoost2_1_video.avi
More info at: www.polyboost.com (http://www.polyboost.com)

cheers,
CML

Media
12-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Allright :) The problem now is which one of the two packages i am going to go for. Back when i was using max 7 i downloaded demos of both your products. They had some issues that i found a bit difficult to use (workflow issues, undo problems) but you have both probably addressed alot of those things now... They would be great christmaspresents though! LOL.. Ok, anyway thanks for both your answers. Ill download the latest demos of both and make up my mind... Wouldnt it be gereat though if you put your products together and nested it with polyspeed? Max would kick a**!

Cheers!

Media
12-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi again Light. I have now downloaded the demo, and looked at the video you provided. And it almost does the trick. What i mentiond earlier in this post but forgot when i showd the Carrera example is that in XSI you have different corner options when beveling. Diamond etc which makes a better topology. Your script basically does a chamfer of the edges as you could do in regular chamfer by chamfering once and chamfering the next edges again and so on. AND the max chamfer is somewhat flawed. What it should do when chamfering more than 2 is to actually give you a 90 degree segment before actually starting the radius of the chamfer otherwise you will get shading errors when turbo/meshsmoothing.

What i would like is a chamfer that

1. gives you a parametrical radius option
2. gives you a step option (x chamfered edges within the radius)
3. gives you corner options. I.e. Diamond, regular, connected...

Another thing you can do in the XSI bevel is to invert the chamfered edges so instead of getting a nice rounded corner of a box the bevel would invert and give you the opposit - a concave/halfpipe edge. Pretty neat.

Unfortunately my XSI demo has expired so i cannot give a more thorough explenation and i have search the net for som more in depth explenations and tutorials but cannot find them.

But, the bevel/chamfer options in XSI are really good so if you get the chance to have a look do so because you might get some really good ideas from it.

Ok, enough ranting :)

Cheers!

Light
12-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Media,

These sound like neat ideas, but I will have to take a loot at Softimage to see how they work, which I will as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have further requests.

Light

Media
12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
A paralell discussion about the edgerounding idea is going in this thread. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=255871&highlight=edge+detect) The script that follows is actually getting close to the XSI method. It leaves better geometry in the corners and will meshsmooth alot better than regular chamfer.

Light
12-15-2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks alot, I will be sure to compare that method with XSI's and will add it to Orionflame's Chamfer feature one way or another.

Thanks again,
Light

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 03:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.