PDA

View Full Version : Help on texturing

LecturerAlan
11-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi All

I am having a real nightmare, I just want to put a label on a beer bottle, I want a dielectric shader for the glass and a lambert for the label.
Can any one help please.

Alan :bounce:

yann22
11-09-2005, 03:44 PM
hi, use a layered shader:

- create a tif with an alpha for the label in PS
(the alpha has to be inverted for Maya,
i.e. label = black / background = white)
- map the tif to the lambert's color channel and
- the "out alpha" to the lambert's transparency (all three RGB channels),
- create a glass material and a layered shader node
- put (MMB) the label over the glass material in the layered shader node

LecturerAlan
11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi RabbitRun

I have tried it but for some reason I am getting this result, you know, life was so much easier with Lightwave (I`ll go and wash my mouth out later)

LecturerAlan

yann22
11-09-2005, 10:23 PM
you're doing just fine :applause: it looks like you haven't inverted the alpha, the label should be black in the alpha channel and the unwanted background should be white, Maya is a bit funny about this...

LecturerAlan
11-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi RabbitRun

Nope still not working, I do feel I am on the cusp of success though
So where do I plug the Glass shader into transparency or colour, and can I use
the fabulous Dielectric material instead of a Phong ?

Oh, and should I use projection, normal or stencil for the texture map on a nurbs surface.
latest render update, what the hell is going on

Many Thanks

LeccyAl

doms
11-10-2005, 11:36 AM
I think you need the stencil option (best of luck with Maya, theres very little thats intuitive about it)
Wow "fabulous dielectric"? haven't heard it called that for a while, try the l_glass Mental Ray shader http://home.broadpark.no/~rslettli/mentalray.html.

yann22
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Forgot something: in the file node of the label material under "color balance" set "default color" to white (transparent).

Generally I would first try all this out with a more simple setup, as in pic one, which will give something like pic2, when applied to a sphere. The alpha made in PS controls the transparency of the material.

yann22
11-10-2005, 01:36 PM
... and if you got that working, you can plug the Lambert into the layered shader (MMB default) and the Phong next to it, to get something like this. For a simple Phong glass shader, you would plug in both the color and the transparency, since you want to control both paramenters for the area not covered by the label.

You don't really need a 3d projection for a label on a bottle, especially with nurbs you can quite easily adjust the placement and size with the interactive placement option. As for the dielectric material, I am not sure how it would work with the layered shader node or the mix8layer node.

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 01:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.