PDA

View Full Version : MI file referencing AND .MA-Scripting

chris.scherer
11-09-2005, 06:29 AM
Hello there,

I am looking to assemble over 200 render scenes from about 80 individual components, each available as a .mb file. Now, with Maya ASCII this is no great deal, assembling scenes from a database by writing the referencing-tags into a text-file is trivial.

The benefit, of course, is that these "assembly files" are ridiculously small. The problem is, that the amounting data weighs in a 500 mb per scene, something that for one reason or the other wont render with Mental Ray for Maya.

Now, the proven workaround is to use Mental Ray standalone, as the standalone memory management seems vastly superior. At least it renders and is dependable and safe at that.

The real problem now is that each .MI file translates into a whooping 480 megabytes file, with 200 scenes that just floods our RAIDs and causes discomfort, as each file is needed to generate only about 40 MB of imagery.

----------------------------------------
So far the story, now for the questions:

Is there a way to save the components as .MI and assemble scenes by referencing like Maya ASCII files ???

In Maya ASCII files, how could I run scripts after the referencing ? I would need to select hierarchies and apply shaders (UseBackground etc.), and somewhere in the online-help I caught a glimpse of "script nodes", though no further information was aquired that time...

Sanctuary
11-09-2005, 03:16 PM
... Is there a way to save the components as .MI ...

Load Mayatomr.mll then File > Export (choose mentalRay format) > here is your .mi file

for the referencing part i think you can use $include tag (do some research about mental ray file format)

chris.scherer
11-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply,

$include seems to get me halfway there. Unfortunately I fail to break up the lines succesfully. The files include a wealth of data, like rendering options and other libraries.

If I export the MI files via MayatoMR this one is shared in all files, for example, flooding the shell window with warning messages concerning the redeclararion.

My guess was that I only need the geometry data and the corresponding instancing information. Add to that the shaders (wich would require MtoR again) and I stand confused.

Currently I experiment with a "nude" scene, that is basically a default Maya-Scene with default-light and persp-camera and a given output file name. Into that I $include, right after the mayatomr-library, the geometry files wich Ive stripped of all rendering options. The resulting images are blank, not even in the alpha shows anything up...

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 08:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.