PDA

View Full Version : Independent Gaming on the Xbox 360

RobertoOrtiz
11-09-2005, 02:50 AM
"This year's IGC had a surprise in store for those participating. At the IGC, and no-where else in the entire US at that time, were several prototypes of the upcoming XBox 360. While looking at games from a distance or checking out screen shots is one thing, playing with the next-gen system provided more than bragging rights. It gave me first-hand opportunity to experience what the 360 is all about. Now of course the media at large is totally ignoring the independent presence on the platform, and who is to blame them? Certainly as good as Marble Blast looks on the 360, but it isn't going to compete visually with Perfect Dark. On the other hand, Perfect Dark in my book immediately goes into the 'Yet another FPS' category, and while it might look great, I'm not likely to give it more than a casual glance.

At the IGC I took opportunity to monopolize the one 360 system connected to a HD TV, playing Wik for more than an hour and playing an additional hour with some of the other titles (I also played a bit on the non HD TVs um...just for comparison!). I've also had the singular experience of playing one of the indie games not on display at the IGC, Outpost Kaloki X. So with that amazing amount of background let me take you for a ride of what my few hours of experience on the system has taught me. "

>>Link<< (http://www.gametunnel.com/html/section-viewarticle-135.html)

-R

Nadril
11-09-2005, 02:57 AM
Now, this is something I like to hear. It's going to be a lot of fun seeing what indie titles will pop up, considering that (IMO) right now the 360's launch titles are serriously pathetic.

Fides
11-09-2005, 04:41 AM
What does 'indie' mean in this context? At the end of the article they mention "Getting to them to where they can download the games might be hard,".

So is indie mean that these are games you download, straight to the XBox 360 hard drive? Are they free?

I hate labels.

Ninjas
11-09-2005, 02:54 PM
"indie" is short for independent, i.e. usually a few guys working together to make a game. The games are usually $19.95, but some games are free also.

gavin_hughes
11-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Now, this is something I like to hear. It's going to be a lot of fun seeing what indie titles will pop up, considering that (IMO) right now the 360's launch titles are serriously pathetic.
which system hasnt had poor titles at lunch...
ps2, xbox, psp, gc, ds.. all had crappy starts. only counsole that had great tiles at lunch was the ill-fated dreamcast. the PS3 and Rev at this point will share the same crappy lunch. its innevitable, no dev will dive head first to invest their money until they see how well the system performs in its first few months or first week even....

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2005, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.