PDA

View Full Version : Low poly car model made for 3D racing game in Director

markke050505
11-09-2005, 12:14 AM
This low poly car model is made for a 3D racing game project that I am doing at the moment.
Because it is for Director Shockwave, therefore the actual texture on the car is limited in someway,
some of the channels and features in material editor does not work in Shockwave 3D.

modeled and rendered in 3D MAX 7

C&C welcome.

http://deostijl.au.org.tw/images/car_low.jpg

slice56
11-09-2005, 12:32 AM
looks good, whats the count?

DevilHacker
11-09-2005, 01:28 AM
WOW!
Very nice.
I dont guess I could get ya to post a wireframe?
;)

nealb4me
11-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Pretty good, I think you could redirect some polygons to the front bumper though. It's extremely angular compared to the rest of the car.

markke050505
11-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Polygon count: 8824 (count triangles)
I will post the wireframe in next few days or so.

Thanks for C&C

SHEPEIRO
11-09-2005, 11:05 AM
8,800 tris, phew thats alot for the amount of detail acheived, i think you could reduce that by at least half and get the same results. probably the first place you could get rid would be the wheels, remember if you have a 1000 poly wheel thats 4000 in total, half your poly count, but the wheels only take up a 20th of the overall image in the one below, and i would say a tenth at most! possibly look for a design of wheel that will work at lower res.

check out my 12,000 tri lambo murch (link below) i know its neary 50% more tris but i have modelled, windscreen wipers, badges, lights, body panels etc.

also if you are designing for web based distribution, your mesh will be a larger file at that many polys, i would say halve it and you will get the same results.

nice design anyway

markke050505
11-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I have noticed that the poly count is very high, the reason for that is I am testing the ability and limitation of Director on handling 3D object and trying to get the most out of it. If I have to cut the poly count, wheels will be the first to sacrifice. Later on I will use this model as a base to turn it into a high poly car model for the cut scene in the game.

here is the wireframe

Thank you for C&C

http://deostijl.au.org.tw/images/car_low_wire.jpg

OriK
11-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Whoa!!! SHEPEIRO was right. You can really half your polycount. The car has so many sharp edges and flat surfaces. The best conditions for a real lowpoly car without to forgo the level of detail.

SHEPEIRO
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
still there are alot of unused edge loops, for example the edge loops runninig from front to back just above the wheel arches, could be greatly reduced, instead of three loops use one, perhaps splitting to two infront of front wheel, this will save alot for starters and will not mean any distinguishable difference even in cinematics.

also you have some round the front bumper which are doing nothing because of the way you are using your smoothing groups.

you have a very clean almost all quad mesh, but dont be affraid to use some triangles in there to bring edge loops together where the mesh becomes too dense, i can see several places where this would be possible.

i know you said you are seeing what director is capable of but wasted polys are wasted polys

and the front bumper deffinatly needs some added roundness or detail.

looking forward to see what you do

slice56
11-09-2005, 06:59 PM
yea like shep said, you have alot of wasted polys. That car could be around 6000 and barely have any nickeling. Just be a little smarter with your polys (put them in areas that have curvature ie. window bevels, rubber trim roundness etc.).

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2005, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.