PDA

View Full Version : Get Visual Studio 2005 Express for free

DevilHacker
11-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Microsoft releases Visual Studio 2005 Express for free
On Monday 7 november 2005 Microsoft announced the release of Visual Studio Express 2005 on MSDN for free. The downloadable versions can be downloaded the coming year for free. The license doesn't expire after a year, so developers obtain a lifetime free license.
[MORE (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=126606&SiteID=1)]

ShadowHunter
11-08-2005, 10:54 PM
I've been using the betas for a while now. Really great debuging tools and superb IDE overall, plus comes with the leading C++ compiler in the industry. Can't wait to get my hands on VS 2005, so much new stuff to play with :drool:

AmbiDextrose
11-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Well, I really don't like the IDE but the debugger is second to none on any platform.

lovisx
11-08-2005, 11:14 PM
can this be used for maya api?

BinarySoup
11-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I looked through the vc express faq and feature walkthrough but couldn't find any info on wheter or not some of the code optimization techniques has been crippled in the express version as compared to the pro version? I heard that they were crippled in the beta versions, which is why I ask.

Goon
11-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Has anyone been able to download this? I've dl'd the install file, but can't connect to microsoft to get the full installation.

-Vormav-
11-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Ooh, sounds nice. I'll definitely be taking advantage of this.

scorpion007
11-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Goon, you can download the iso's manually from here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/

if you dont want to use the installer to download.

scorpion007
11-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know where the Registration link is? It says you need to register to get a key, but I dont see where you do that?

Goon
11-09-2005, 12:04 AM
woo!
thanks scorpion

BinarySoup
11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know where the Registration link is? It says you need to register to get a key, but I dont see where you do that?
likely registration will be done from within the installer.

scorpion007
11-09-2005, 12:10 AM
ok, I will see if that is the case, 52% downloaded lol :)
Goon, no problem

ShadowHunter
11-09-2005, 12:18 AM
ok, I will see if that is the case, 52% downloaded lol :)
Goon, no problem
I think it's after the install completes and you run VS Express for the first time that it will prompt you. It might be on the "Start page" tab in the IDE. I still have beta 2 installed so it might have changed since then, once I get time I'll upgrade as well :)

ThE_JacO
11-09-2005, 12:19 AM
I looked through the vc express faq and feature walkthrough but couldn't find any info on wheter or not some of the code optimization techniques has been crippled in the express version as compared to the pro version? I heard that they were crippled in the beta versions, which is why I ask.

in the express version it probably still is, although how much difference it would make to your code varies greatly (if most of the work is algorithmic in nature, and there's little play with memory management or complex frameworks, which is what most trivial 3Ddev work is, the optimization wouldn't have much impact, if not none at all).

you can, however, always download the free toolkit from MS, which is command line based but a fully featured and free optimized compiler, and when you're off debug mode just recompile with that (apparently now there's a certain amount of support for makes as well, although limited and unconventional).

OR, you can just download the toolkit and use eclipse for IDE ;)

BinarySoup
11-09-2005, 01:45 AM
well I am using vc toolkit 2003 for my windows programming needs (assuming this is what you where referring too). anyway, it's based on vc7, and in vc8 there has been vast improvements on whole program optimization and special register optimization (mmx, sse) which will be of great help to me. I'll download it either way, just wondered if anyone knew of (possible) differences in code generation between pro and express.

RobertoOrtiz
11-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks man!

I am downloading it now.
-R

BinarySoup
11-09-2005, 02:43 AM
finally found a comparison chart between express and other distributions, and no, there does not seem to be any crippling in code generation other than not being able to generate 64 bit code.

here it is if anyone's interested

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/compare/default.aspx

Nadril
11-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Oh, this is cool....

I'm going to have to try it out. Have been learning C++ at school (on visual basic. would this complier be about the same? :D) and it should be fun to do some stuff at home.

edit: I'm stupid, visual basic is on that list! :D

daHund
11-09-2005, 11:22 AM
I've been using the betas for a while now. Really great debuging tools and superb IDE overall, plus comes with the leading C++ compiler in the industry. Can't wait to get my hands on VS 2005, so much new stuff to play with :drool:

since when does visual studio ship with the icc? :rolleyes:

the only downside is that the c++ version doesn't come with atl or mfc. so its not realy that usefull at leased for beginners. maybe the qt 4.1 os will build on visual studio again - that would make this package really usefull.

ShadowHunter
11-09-2005, 04:26 PM
since when does visual studio ship with the icc? :rolleyes:Since when does every computer have an intel inside? Trust me this compiler can't be beat for versatility. The ARM assemby that it spits out is up to 50% faster than previous versions which alone makes it worth it for me (and it should for you too). Some major improvements were made, so it might even match Intel's compiler on an intel box. Run some benchmarks if you don't believe me. And above all it's free for you to download with or without VS.

Thalaxis
11-09-2005, 06:46 PM
the only downside is that the c++ version doesn't come with atl or mfc. so its not realy that usefull at leased for beginners. maybe the qt 4.1 os will build on visual studio again - that would make this package really usefull.

That's not much of a downside. In fact, some might call it an advantage ;)

mummey
11-09-2005, 06:55 PM
What I would like to see (though I'm probably only dreaming) is how it compares with XCode, unbiased of course.

daHund
11-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Since when does every computer have an intel inside? Trust me this compiler can't be beat for versatility. The ARM assemby that it spits out is up to 50% faster than previous versions which alone makes it worth it for me (and it should for you too). Some major improvements were made, so it might even match Intel's compiler on an intel box. Run some benchmarks if you don't believe me. And above all it's free for you to download with or without VS.

i don't think its much faster than befor. at leased the betas wasn't on my system.

but even if it is, my main dev platform is linux. so i get icc for free too and can't use visual studio for compiling. but its a nice ide if you have visual assist installed.

the only thing i need now is something like coWindows. that would make development of linux apps with visual studio much much easier ;).

Thalaxis
11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
What I would like to see (though I'm probably only dreaming) is how it compares with XCode, unbiased of course.

I'd like to try out XCode sometime, myself.

CiaránMurphy
11-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Well in 2 or 3 months there will be Intel macs... get one, put windows on it and then you'll have the best of both worlds. Downloading VS now. I personally found Xcode a bit strange and hard to navigate but that was version 1, haven't tried V2

Thalaxis
11-09-2005, 10:51 PM
I'll probably just wait until I can put OSX on my own box ;)

CiaránMurphy
11-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Anybody have problems after installation with components not registered?

I uninstalled the betas as indicated and downloaded cd image and installed from there.
Installation went fine, but when I started it up I got error messages about a particular framework not being loaded, asking if I wanted to remove it from startup. Unfortunately the framework was the IDE designer... so I could code & compile but not visually edit forms. Same in VB and C#. Have downloaded C++ as well but doubtful. I have a completely virgin machine that I'll try it on tonight. Might try the streaming install but doubt it will make any difference. This is lame!

ysvry
11-11-2005, 03:17 AM
if this all works like bought from the shop its great, when will microsoft do a 3d rendering and animation app for free?

DevilHacker
11-11-2005, 03:28 AM
Hey Everyone;
Now that you got the free download, go on over to Microsoft’s “Coding for Fun (http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/)” website to get some ‘fun and educational’ tutorials…

One thing I saw on the site was this interesting quote. The stuff at the beginning we already know, but it gets interesting when it comes to the Rewards for Registering, including the Visual Studio Express DIY Kit.

Express is free for one year
Until November 7, 2006, we are promotionally discounting the downloadable versions of Express to free (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/default.aspx#pricing). This doesn’t mean that the product turns off after a year, but rather that as long as you download the product before November 7, 2006, you can get it for free and you can use it forever.

Rewards for Registering
The other big news announced at the Visual Studio launch is the availability of the Visual Studio Express DIY Kit, which is a set of benefits (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/register/default.aspx) you get for registering Express and includes:

250 royalty-free stock photography images from Corbis, Free Windows Icons from IconBuffet
Free eBooks including: Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition: Build a Web Site Now, Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition: Build a Program Now!, and Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition: Build a Program Now!
3rd party components from VSIP partners
And we have more benefits coming soon
Want More Information?
Take a tour of the newly revamped Visual Studio Express Edition (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/) Web site, read the Frequently Asked Questions (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/default.aspx), and as always, please tell us what you think :)

We hope you enjoy Visual Studio Express as much as we do!

Sincerely,
The Visual Studio Express Team

mummey
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Anyone know if the Pro Version is out?

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.