PDA

View Full Version : Here is the final version of Bovis the cow.

stooch
11-08-2005, 08:51 PM
The animation has been done but here is the final version. It was a really fun and relatively smooth project (aside from the stupid bug with bounding boxes and reset geometry)

I rigged nulls for his eyeballs and conntected the xform to lightwave nulls and then used a distance to null gradient for the iris. Its no doll eyes but i wasnt going for ultra realism. Just another solution for toon eyes.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84270&stc=1

btw the rig was done in about 2 hours, full armatures and expressions with no weight effectors or fuss with bones of any kind. I did use the trick from a cosman cd for scaling the geometry down for better binding and then morphing them out to the final shape. worked like a charm.

messiah rocks.

Wegg
11-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Very cute. That worked out well. Now render it in Messiah. :cool:

aforetaste
11-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Wow! Very nice.

Your hard work has paid off.
Thanks for sharing. It's a great education to watch this process from start to finish.
I hope others pick up on your offers.
Thanks!

stooch
11-08-2005, 11:33 PM
thanks for the feedback, yeah im eager to get crackin in messiah next, i just love node based shading networks so im curious as to what i can squeeze out of the renderer. Lets see how messiah does at high res ;) heh heh.

Another thing that i forgot to add:

The eyeballs are oval, so as you rotate the eyes up and down - to get the iris null closer to the surface of the eyeball, I used an expression to offset the iris on the z axis using the rotations of the eye. (the iris null is parented to an eye null that is centered in the eye ovals) So as he looks down, the expression pushes the iris closer to the surface, its not perfect but it works good enough. And im sure i could use bump maps to further control the iris highlights in LW, including some radial noise to paint the retina some more. Im sure i can make MUCH better eyes in messiah though, so I am interested to see how that works out.

Oh yeah, another thing, when parenting the eye nulls to the bones for the head. I parented a transform null to the head bone and placed it at the center of the eye ovals, rotating it to align it with world coordiantes. Then parented another null from origin to it - keeping orientation BUT NOT TRANSFORM. This is my eyeball null, its positioned by the parent but keeps its rotation the same as origin, making it easier to deal with. Then I aimed the eyeball null using the iris as an effector at a "look" null. (well to be exact, to an offset null that is parented to the "look" null to prevent crossed eyes)

The look null is parented to a transorm null between the eyes (placed the same way as the eye nulls). I then rotate the "look" null using an armature with a handle offset infront of the face, to aim the eyes. further plan is to develop another constraint to have the head follow the rotations of the eyes, but with a frame offset (so that the head trails the eyes). A slider would control the amount of this trailing effect or reduce it to 0 and animate the head directly. Now i have to figure out the preset library and start saving these setups...

pblacklock
11-09-2005, 02:19 AM
awesome work

quick question for ya... whne you transfered to lightwave did you used point oven or simply messiah plugin in lightwave?

thanks
Paul

stooch
11-09-2005, 03:56 AM
all messiah. the connection needs some work but its useable

dOMINUSMess
11-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Haha, Fun!

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 05:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.