PDA

View Full Version : Plugin project

Oman83
11-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm looking to take advantage of everyone expertise here. I'm in my 4th year of a computer science degree and i'm hoping to create a plugin for maya for my final project.
Below is my general specification. The main thing i want to be able to do is scan in an image such as blue prints or a even a simple scale drawing and from that have the plugin generate the walls very quickly. To do this i will need the system to be able to detect where a user clicks on an image, tell what colour has been clicked on and then identify the rest of the shape formed by that colour. That way if the image is a simple black and white scale drawing and the user clicks on the black walls, the system will be able to isolate the shape of the wall and create it. Then it will just be a cause of adding height to it.
I hope this makes sense. So if anyone could tell me if this is possible it would be a real life saver. If it's not going to be then i need to know soon before i waste several months and fail my degree. :sad:
Thank you so much in advance

--------
The general purpose of this project is to further develop a 3D animation application such as Maya or Lightwave 3D by way of a plugin. This plugin will aid a user in creating a 3D model which will represent a given building. This will work in stages and is outlined as follows. The walls will be created from an imported image such as blue prints. It is hoped that it will be possible to develop the system to generate the walls with minimal user input. The user will have to identify the walls probably by clicking on them and define the height by simply inputting it via the GUI. Once the walls are created constant elements in a room such as windows and doors will be added again with minimal user input. The dimensions of the windows will have to be specified but the location will be decided by simply clicking the mouse on the desired section of the wall. Doors will be somewhat constant in shape and therefor will only require a location. Time allowing it is hoped to include the ability to generate other constants such as electrical sockets, switches and even radiators in a similar way. Further customization such as choice of colour and even textures is hoped to be included.

Oman83
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Any help, please!

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.