PDA

View Full Version : File size issue (70MB file!!!)

mcapewell
11-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi there,
I've been working on a file in motion builder 7 for the last couple of weeks and all has been going well until this week.
The file i'm working on has 2 characters, throwing the other around the scene.

Last friday, the file was 27mb, but yesterday it jumped to 43mb and today it's now 70mb and i'm now having trouble getting this file to load (currently it crashes at the end of a 20-30 minute wait).
I'm using a dell precision 380 with 2BG of ram, so i was under the impression that it could handle it. but i'm now guessing not after waiting most of the afternoon for it to crash.

does anybody have any ideas as to why the file size is inflating like this? have i forgotten to do something obvious?

I've animated it in 2 parts (mainly due to me not being able to figure out how to get the characters connected beforehand, which is now sorted).
the first part was the main character going through his motions.
the second part is the 2nd character reacting to the first.

i haven't plotted any animation from the control rigs to the skeletons, mainly because i reckon at some point i might have to adjust the 1st characters movement to make the 2nd fit better.

To quote penelope pitstop "Hey-yelp!!"

_mg_
11-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Are you using multiple takes? If you copy data from one take to another you will increase the file size by that amount i.e. if it was 27mb and you created a new take by copying the source take your file-size will double.

If you're working in story mode, adding a track and inserting the current take will prroduce the same result. It seems to write out a new animation 'block' for tracks in Story - they don't reference animation in the take.

We've averaged around 500mb to 1gb files on certain projects with 4 to 8 characters, sets textures and actors! Your computer should be more than capable with handling files like this.

I usually get long load times from textures not loading correctly or external files i.e. movies not being found immediately.

mcapewell
11-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Are you using multiple takes? If you copy data from one take to another you will increase the file size by that amount i.e. if it was 27mb and you created a new take by copying the source take your file-size will double.

nope, i'm just doing a straight animation with one track per character

If you're working in story mode, adding a track and inserting the current take will produce the same result. It seems to write out a new animation 'block' for tracks in Story - they don't reference animation in the take.

We've averaged around 500mb to 1gb files on certain projects with 4 to 8 characters, sets textures and actors! Your computer should be more than capable with handling files like this.

I usually get long load times from textures not loading correctly or external files i.e. movies not being found immediately.

Bloody hell! those are huge files sizes!

Well after having another day of frustration, i've got next to nowhere.

I tried again to load the file, with some options turned off, such as poses, video (textures) etc, but no joy.

i went back to a previous version, re-deleted the spare character i had, and the size jumped again from 40mb to 70mb

i reloaded it again (which in itself is taking 15-20 mins each time), changed the one texture i have in the scene from 2048x1024 to 1024x512, selected the spare character, it's control rig, mesh, skeleton, the lot. also selected spare poses saved within the scene, the spare character track in the story editor window, everything i could think of.

the file size went down from 40mb to 10mb, but then failed to load afterwards.

i did the same thing again and deleted the material applied as well, plus a couple of markers, file size was slightly smaller still, but again failed to load.

what on earth is going on?!?!

because i have no idea how this is happening, i'm worried about what might happen down the line or on a different file. i don't know how it got into this mess and i really don't want it happening again, but i don't know what to do to avoid it.

If it was a texture issue (though it seems to hang when it gets round to trying to load clip 3, which is a short corrective track for the cracters head, gonna try and delete just that next), could i rename that file so MB can't find it but possibly load the file anyway?

Thanks for the help so far _mg_, good things to be aware of.

if only i could talk to someone at alias directly about this, but i don't think my company will pay out the $1000+ for full tech support for one (big) question.

can someone point me to the nearest cliff?

thanks

_mg_
11-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Don't go near the cliffs!

Yeah they were big files, glad we're down to a more manageable 100-200mb bracket.

Off the top of my head - your texture sizes sound Huge! try getting them down to around 512x512 or less.

Try saving the file with 'embed media' checked (this wraps all the external files into the fbx) then save it with a different name with it un-checked. Compare the sizes. Unchecking embed media is much safer, and creates smaller files.

Texture issues were my no.2 problem with Mb6.01 it seems to be better in 7 however. Mb7 has a convert to tiff feature on save which might be inflating your tex sizes

Are you using external fbx files in story mode? When you say that it's 'stalling on loading clip2' it did that to me whenever i used external files in version 6 (including the failed load after save). I've yet to try it in 7.

Curtis Garton from Alias is usually around this forum so i imagine you might hear from him. I'd definitely email Alias with your system and log it as a bug.

Hope you find a solution!

mcapewell
11-09-2005, 04:27 PM
well, now i have some kind of success.
i deleted just the texture and material and that seemingly troublesome clip 3.
file size now = 19mb and it actually loads.

i knew the texture size was rather large, but until it started breaking, it hadn't seemed to be a problem.

still, so far, so good.

thanks again for your help and comments, i owe you a pint (if you're ever in the UK).
i feel like i can have a brighter day tomorrow.

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2005, 04:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.