PDA

View Full Version : lighting and shadow density?

cvliv
11-08-2005, 03:35 PM
i have a project where i have to recreate the inside of a convience store. it is a stylized render so reality is of no concern. as everyone knows convienience stores are well lit from all over the celing. i have a grid of many omni lights evenly lighting the scene. they are all turned to like 15% or so. in order to reduce rendertimes i would like to select 6 or so of these lights to cast shadows and turn the shadows off on the other lights. the problem is that when i do that the shadows are very light, after all there are less shadows being cast. my question is: can i turn the shadow density up on these 6 or so lights so they cast a darker shadow? it seems a value of over 100% is not accepted. is there any other way to acomplish this goal?

thanks

STRAT
11-08-2005, 03:41 PM
i have a project where i have to recreate the inside of a convience store. it is a stylized render so reality is of no concern. as everyone knows convienience stores are well lit from all over the celing. i have a grid of many omni lights evenly lighting the scene. they are all turned to like 15% or so. in order to reduce rendertimes i would like to select 6 or so of these lights to cast shadows and turn the shadows off on the other lights. the problem is that when i do that the shadows are very light, after all there are less shadows being cast. my question is: can i turn the shadow density up on these 6 or so lights so they cast a darker shadow? it seems a value of over 100% is not accepted. is there any other way to acomplish this goal?

thanks

in 9.5 you can up the shadow density over 100%

if not, then render out a shadow pass, then you can adjust it's density in photoshop quite easily then.

cvliv
11-08-2005, 04:10 PM
the best way to composite those is to set the shadow pass layer to multiply? am i correct?

JamesMK
11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
the best way to composite those is to set the shadow pass layer to multiply? am i correct?
Correct it is.

jsls
11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes the shadow pass should be set to multiply, funny topic, I remember like about 2 years ago I was in a 7-11 and noticed how everything was fully lit and how there were no shadows anywhere to be found....and I thought, now thats weird!

cvliv
11-08-2005, 04:33 PM
yes, i thought the same thing. and with the contrast almost non existant, the render can leave something to be desired........ shadows! HA!

thanks y'all

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.