Samiad
11-08-2005, 10:26 AM
http://www.4dtutorials.com/Abstract_Laser_Lights_in_Maxon_Cinema_4D.html

How do i do this in R9

None of the options are availiable..

:-(

Srek
11-08-2005, 10:42 AM
This has changed with 9.5. You can now use any kind of object for a light, not only the preset shapes. For this tutorial you might like to use an Area Light with shape set to cylinder.
Take a look at the 9.5 addendum for more information.
Edit: Small correction, use the Line shape instead of the Cylinder shape, only line area lights support visible light.

Cheers
Björn

Samiad
11-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Don't suppose anyone can give me a few pointers on steps to take to do this?

Im struggling..

Really Appreciate it

JamesMK
11-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Well, unfortunately a cylindrical arealight will not help you in this particular case, since they don't support visibility (at least not the fuzzy kind of visibility you're probably looking for)

SO, I would suggest you use a parallel spot instead.

Add a light object, and set its type to "Parallel spot", activate visibility. On the 'visibility' tab of the light AM settings, switch off the top falloff option, activate 'use gradient' further down on the same tab and play around with some colours there. The 'outer radius' value on the details tab will let you adjust the thickness of the effect, and the various falloff and distance options on the 'visibility' will take care of the rest of your tweaking needs.

STRAT
11-08-2005, 11:30 AM
thats a damn good point.

why have plain old tube lights gone? i used these all the time for my archi neon lighting. ever so easy to adjust and use.

Srek
11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
thats a damn good point.

why have plain old tube lights gone? i used these all the time for my archi neon lighting. ever so easy to adjust and use.

An Area light set to line will work exatly as a tube light, only more flexible.
Cheers
Björn

STRAT
11-08-2005, 12:15 PM
An Area light set to line will work exatly as a tube light, only more flexible.
Cheers
Björn

i hate to ask pain in the ass nube questions, but how do i emmulate my beloved tube light (neon style) with a line area light?

STRAT
11-08-2005, 12:18 PM
never mind, figured it out :p

but how is it more flexable srek? it looks allot more finiky to control than tubes lights were.

i liked the near/far clip options, which i dont get now. and of course, near/far clipping is different than the fall off types.

also, i just created a curvey spline. i put this as my light emmitter, but the visibility options are dissabled. why is this? same difference as a straight line isnt it?

Srek
11-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, you are right, Near Far clipping is not available with Area lights, but the new option to use a gradient instead of an inner and outer color adds a good deal to the functionality.
Cheers
Björn

Srek
11-08-2005, 12:29 PM
also, i just created a curvey spline. i put this as my light emmitter, but the visibility options are dissabled. why is this? same difference as a straight line isnt it?

only line area lights support visible

Cheers
Björn

STRAT
11-08-2005, 12:41 PM
thank you there

nycL45
11-08-2005, 01:05 PM
i hate to ask pain in the ass nube questions, but how do i emmulate my beloved tube light (neon style) with a line area light?

Well, I must resurrect STRAT's question. I selected Area Light, selected Area Shape:Line. I tried a cylinder & cube (both C'd) and tried dropping these, individually, into the Details tab:Object box. They were rejected. Pages 9-17 of Add'm9.5 offered little help. If a curvy line, a la neon, is wanted, use Sweep Nurbs and Line?

Srek
11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
If you have set the Area Shape to "Line" the Object link field is grayed out. The link field is only available for the Area Shape option "Object / Spline". With that option active you can drop either polygon objects or splines in the link field, but no parametric objects.
Cheers
Björn

nycL45
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
If you have set the Area Shape to "Line" the Object link field is grayed out. The link field is only available for the Area Shape option "Object / Spline". With that option active you can drop either polygon objects or splines in the link field, but no parametric objects.
Cheers
Björn

Ok, I'm worse off than I thought. I have not figured out how to use a "Line" Area Light as a tube light. Could you give a few more hints? Thanks.

STRAT
11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
nycL45 - i been making neon for years in C4D, perhaps we should get a neon thread going in the lighting and rendering forum?

just done these as a test -

http://www.nikclark.com/strat/cgt/neon.jpg

nycL45
11-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Very nice, STRAT and do take the lead, man. If I can lend a hand, let me know. For sure, we, the peeps, will learn a lot from your thread.

STRAT
11-08-2005, 03:43 PM
damn, and i was considering early retirement from thread starting :p

ok, got more time tomorrow, i'll start a simple neon thread :)

nycL45
11-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Now that's the spirit. See you tomorrow. I'm exhausted from twisting your arm.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.