PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Ray Collision Expression

Darter
11-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Hereís an expression which calculates ray collision without ray point objects and uses a cross product vector to orient the moving object.

The whole setup can be moved and rotated at any angle and the expression will keep working correctly.

All ray points maintain a constant Y distance from the surface objectís XZ plane, allowing use of the Distance port.

Just tweak the User Data settings and watch the blue cage change.

If anyone encounters any problems or has any suggestions, feedback would be welcomed.

tcastudios
11-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Way cool! Works fine with D2P for an animated "sea" as well!

Cheers
Lennart

Darter
11-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks Lennart, that sounds interesting. I hadn't thought of D2P. Off to give it a try...

Darter
11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Okay, I just realised that when the Cone object was replaced in the hierarchy, the expression was inverting the new object. I've replaced the file with an updated version, which temporarily solves the problem by inverting the Object Null.

I'll post a fine-tuned version when I've sorted this out.

Darter
11-09-2005, 09:54 AM
I've solved the problem with the Object Null axis and the expression is now working properly. The file has been updated.

moka.studio
11-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for sharing Darter,
this is very nice,
I am at awe at your xpresso skills !

JoelOtron
11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks for sharing Darter,
this is very nice,
I am at awe at your xpresso skills !

Same here! Thanks.
Take a look at those xpresso nodes and prepare to go cross-eyed.

Darter
11-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks moka-j and JoelD, I really appreciate the feedback. I thougth it was just me in here for a while!

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2005, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.