PDA

View Full Version : Game Art: Texture Quality Article!

Riccard
11-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi Guys!

I donít know if I need to present myself here? I do it anyway - Riccard Linde!
I would like to share some information with you, something I hope someone will find an interest in.

As a continuum for my book Game Art: CDC by Charles River I have completed a small article about the Quality of DDS compressed textures in game development. The article highlights some areas and concerns about the dxt1 compression and DDS in general, it also provides some thoughts / and used / proven working techniques of maximizing the output within a development phase cycle.

I hope something can be learned from it, enjoy.

http://www.riccardlinde.com/ddsarticle.html (http://www.riccardlinde.com/ddsarticle.html)

TheShow
11-07-2005, 10:56 PM
This is a good article, thanks for posting. I use DDS daily but was unaware of how exactly it handled the compression and how much a little noise helps. I'll be looking for that book. . .

Riccard
11-07-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm glad you liked it,

I should also mention, something I didn't do in the article:

There is a dither function in NVIDIA's DDS export tool, however it has a very precise dither algorithm so it will create a very structured pattern that can easily be followed and detected by the viewer.

As always, there are many roads leading to Rome! But I didn't want to make the article to deep or expand on the topic to much.

Thanks again.

Alex McGilvray
11-08-2005, 12:48 AM
good info, thanks for posting :)

requiem2d
11-08-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi Riccard!

Thanks for posting the article, will be looking forward to this undisclosed project! Maybe something to mod ;)

Good luck with the book, seems like it has some great content, might have to check it out myself !

SHEPEIRO
11-08-2005, 01:10 PM
usefull stuff cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 01:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.