PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Launches New Affordable GPU

RobertoOrtiz
11-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Quote:
"hough there's been some general price depression all around, our conclusions from the previous "best GPU bang for the buck" shootout still hold true: GeForce 6600GT and Radeon X700 Pro cards are good for the $150 range, but while their price/performance ratio is high, they don't offer the kind of raw speed necessary to let you really enjoy games like F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 the way they're meant to be played. The real deals are the GeForce 6800 GT and Radeon X800 XL, especially since both have now fallen in price to under $300. Either card will give you all the features and performance necessary to play all of today's games without turning all the detail levels down.
Is there a better option? Nvidia thinks there should be, so the company is adding a new SKU just in time for the holiday season, ahead of ATI's new Radeon X1600 cards (expected to ship at the end of this month). The GeForce 6800 GS aims to offer the best performance at the most reasonable price. Is this our new price/performance champ?"

>>Link<< (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1882735,00.asp)

-R

frilansspion
11-09-2005, 02:47 AM
I wish they would spend their time on making drivers for quadrofx that can handle games instead!!:banghead:
but seriously, cheap good cards yey.:cool:

opus13
11-09-2005, 04:18 AM
funny. i spent less on a 6800gt, and it performs better than the 6800gs. 'affordable' my ass.

MaDSheeP
11-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Well, I think the problem with the Quadro FX is... they are based on Nvidia's last series of cards, the GeForce FX... =(

opus13
11-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, I think the problem with the Quadro FX is... they are based on Nvidia's last series of cards, the GeForce FX... =(

actually nvidia never changed the quadro model numbering sequence for the new editions. they are still called FX, but arent any longer restricted to the '5000' series cards.

check out the quadro 3400's and the like :) you might be pleasantly surprised

Pavlovich
11-09-2005, 06:52 PM
i have a 3400 at home and it chugs on DOOM 3 with medium settings. is there a special driver i need? (didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry :(

Joril
11-10-2005, 12:18 AM
So if I overclock my geforce 6800....

Anyways, I think it's a good thing the nvidia is covering that segment in the pricerange and that their not dumping the 6-series because these are still good cards. They have stopped making 6800gt's and ultras though, and even they (the ultras) had a low availability.

About the FX series, they were never top performers.
And quadro cards are not gaming cards. Quite like a workhorse is not a racehorse.

Array
11-10-2005, 04:41 AM
Does anybody know if this thing supports AGP? I hear that all of Nvidia's new cards are PCI-Express :(

/still running a Geforce FX 5600

Joril
11-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Does anybody know if this thing supports AGP? I hear that all of Nvidia's new cards are PCI-Express :(

/still running a Geforce FX 5600

All I've seen is pci-e, but it's not unlikely there will be an agp variant. Unfortunatly, ATI and Nvidia, seem rather resolute to phase out agp completely, so don't hold your breath.
If you're going to update your system it's best to go pci-e.
A nuisance because, updating "just the graphics card to pci-e" will lead to updating the motherboard (though some have agp and pci-e) and likely the cpu aswell. And a windows re´nstall.

frilansspion
11-11-2005, 03:58 AM
*drifting off topic but still*
Joril<< Im not very techniqally savvy but isnt speed speed even if it is meant for different applications? I mean, the memory and processor power should certainly be there. And they at least claim it to support dx9 100%... dont you think it could be driver-related?
I also own a quadroFX3400 and would like to have better performance in games... still hoping for drivers that would fix it all. :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.