PDA

View Full Version : BodyStudio?

Spinmeister
11-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Has anyone here tried ReissStudio's BodyStudio tool for importing Poser characters into Maya? Do they render better than simply exporting from Poser, and importing into Maya. I would hope so, since the results I get are not very good. TIA.

DrOnion
11-08-2005, 06:26 PM
We used to use it. But it was such a pain to install and license we gave up.
Models are exactly the same Reiss just allows you to bring over the animation.
I prefer just leaving them static and copying the textures over and assigning them myself.

Spinmeister
11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
We used to use it. But it was such a pain to install and license we gave up.
Models are exactly the same Reiss just allows you to bring over the animation.
I prefer just leaving them static and copying the textures over and assigning them myself.

Thanks for the info... I placed a call with Reiss yesterday and they still have not responded. Meanwhile I've received a few tips from Poser (e-frontier) recommending that I work at exporting in the OBJ file format for best results:

"I would suggest that you use the obj format as this is posers native format and will always yield the best results. When you export to OBJ from Poser the material information is stored in a separate material file identifiable by its .mtl extension. This file stores the basic surface material information such as diffuse color/value, specular color/value, highlight, reflection, etc. In addition to these basic values, any image maps used as a source for high-quality textures will be referenced by name. Unfortunately the full pathnames for these image maps are not referenced, only the filename, hence if the texture maps are not located in the same directory as the .obj and .mtl files the texture maps will not be loaded by the importing application. The .mtl file is in ASCII format so you can simply open the file in a text editor to determine which files are used as image maps. Luckily there is a python script that can automate this process. If you look under the windows->python scripts, utility funcs and collect scene inventory. This script has two options, it will either copy the files referenced in the current scene to a directory or print out a list of the files. If the copy to directory option fails then you will have to use the print option and manually copy the files over."

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.