PDA

View Full Version : 9.5 SKY ruins renders, why?

Ernest Burden
11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I've played with settings from samples to accuracy, reflection depth, anything I can think of. But when I use the SKY system I sometimes get areas of burned color from the sky--turn SKY off and this goes away. In this case I'm using my own 'sun' light, have the SKY sun set to black and no shadows. This is un-usable, of course...

But I like SKY...any ideas?

moka.studio
11-07-2005, 12:06 PM
I've played with settings from samples to accuracy, reflection depth, anything I can think of. But when I use the SKY system I sometimes get areas of burned color from the sky--turn SKY off and this goes away. In this case I'm using my own 'sun' light, have the SKY sun set to black and no shadows. This is un-usable, of course...

But I like SKY...any ideas?

is that happening when you use sky presets as well?

Ernest Burden
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
is that happening when you use sky presets as well?

That's how I'm starting--using the SKY preets, modifying them a bit.

It is GI related, I just was testing with and without the SKY object on and it is what determines whether or not I get the color bleeds and nasty noise in 'metal' materials. However, turn off 'GI' for the SKY and the problem goes away, even if SKY is on.

This happens across files, too, its not just this model.

Srek
11-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi Ernest,
no idea what is causing this, if you send me the scene to b_marl (at) maxon (dot) net i'll gladly take a look at it.
Cheers
Björn

Ernest Burden
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Ernest,
no idea what is causing this, if you send me the scene to b_mar (at) maxon (dot) net i'll gladly take a look at it.
Cheers
Björn

OK, I will. These are not final renders, they are view studies, so use low-quality settings. However, upping the settings has not solved the problem on this or another file. Of course, I re-use objects and materials from one file to the next, so it could be anything, I suppose. Except the one thing I know is turning off GI for the SKY makes the problem vanish.

lllab
11-07-2005, 01:59 PM
i have had severe problems when using alpha maps a skyobject and the new functions of the rendertag...

i did not had the time to test it out further, but it lookked similar to yours-with blue artefacts near alpha textures.

i will investigate further.

cheers
stefan

pzdm
11-07-2005, 02:19 PM
I think (what I know) there are few bugs in version 9.507 (this is only my opinion!!!).

Normal mapping in Tangent mode is not correct (this is like object)
Unexpected errors in UV mapping, UV polygons are missing, but they are still in UV map.
Sky shader, there is not active plane hemisphere light without GI.

wuensch
11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
yup, I have just recently when doing UV Layout encountered the mystery of the vanishing UVs--
at one point, a doubleclick on an UV poly sent it to the parallel-universe---
That is a weird bug for sure.

The NormalMap bug is known already--

the non-rendering of alpha in net is also known-- also the flakey Content manager

waiting for 9.5.2 or whatever update.
(But in general 9.5 is very solid here

Olli

I think (what I know) there are few bugs in version 9.507 (this is only my opinion!!!).

Unexpected errors in UV mapping, UV polygons are missing, but they are still in UV map.

FredSpeaks
11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Also, there is no way to isolate the sky in 9.5 with multipass.

Ernest Burden
11-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Also, there is no way to isolate the sky in 9.5 with multipass.

Yeah, I've had to deal with that, also. What I've done is turn the sky off, and GI, and do a render to TIFF with an alpha. Then I can load that alpha inot the render with the SKY and use it to isolate the sky. Works, but yet another pass to render seperately.

By the way, are some of you suggesting that using any alpha maps in the file could be leading to the blown-out GI with SKY issue I'm seeing?

JDP
11-07-2005, 06:22 PM

This is a fact, not just an opinion. I personally feel that 9.5 was released prematurely and hope we will see an update to resolve these issues before R10, if we don't I will feel sorely let down by Maxon. :sad:

bobtronic
11-07-2005, 06:57 PM
This is a fact, not just an opinion. I personally feel that 9.5 was released prematurely and hope we will see an update to resolve these issues before R10, if we don't I will feel sorely let down by Maxon. :sad:

the problem is there will always be some bugs in software but at some point you have to release the software. I am sure Maxon will address these issues.

wuensch
11-07-2005, 07:36 PM
they always release a bugfix release after a release, soI wouldnt worry about that.

Olli

MJV
11-07-2005, 11:07 PM
I think Sky is just using a few common tricks that you can learn to do yourself, in a very poor interface with little control. Better to build your own skies and have complete control and know what you're getting.

JDP
11-08-2005, 05:31 AM
the problem is there will always be some bugs in software but at some point you have to release the software. I am sure Maxon will address these issues.

Yes, I totaly understand this but 9.5 seems to have more than it's fair share of ones that are a major PITA, it could be my imagination, and a lot of the new major features have serious floors, also R8.5 didn't get an update which is why I'm concerned.

Ernest Burden
11-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes, I totaly understand this but 9.5 seems to have more than it's fair share...

I don't think so, but maybe there are more problems in areas I'm not using.

Bjorn informs me, after reviewing my file, that the problem will be addressed in an update to be released later--after my current deadlines.

So I guess I'm not using SKY for my work, unless I just use it as a quicky sky image, no lighting, in a seperate pass.

Thanks, Maxon, for looking at my file and getting back to me.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 11:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.