PDA

View Full Version : MorphBlender, PuppetMaster, PointOrder Problems

AlexK
11-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi guys,

I have major problems using anything that is dependant on point order.

I tried PuppetMaster and MorphBlender with our recent character, but Messiah just goes *poof* :banghead:

The character is modeled in Silo, but I also tried to create quick morph shapes (and creating parts for PuppetMaster) in Wings3D and Maya. I load in the base mesh, add MorphBlender/PuppetMaster to it. Then I load my cluster objects created from that same mesh. Now as soon as I switch to the Animate Tab the base mesh disappears (only with PuppetMaster applied, in MorphBlender the mesh still shows) and when I try to select a cluster object, Messiah just vanishes into Nirwana.

My first test worked though. It was an obj exported from Silo and several part objs to use for PuppetMaster. The only difference was that the base meshs' obj had a second object in it which I forgot to delete before exporting. Therefor the mesh kind of exploded while translating the part clusters, but at least it worked!!

We don't have Lightwave available for modeling right now, cause that always worked before, so I guess it has to do with the other modeling apps. Any help REALLY appreachiated!! :banghead:

AAAron
11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I have no problems with getting morphblender and silo work together could it be that the other apps chance the point order? Iīll try puppetmaster when I get in to work and tell you my results.

AlexK
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
No, actually I made tests with all three apps seperately. With our "complex" character and with a simple sphere.

My workflow was:

create sphere in that respective app (Wings3D OR Maya OR Silo) or load the character
save that as obj
change it (MorphBlender) or cut is into pieces (PuppetMaster)
save the changed/cut pieces as several objs
load base mesh in Messiah
go to setup and apply MorphBlender/PuppetMaster
load all cluster objects
go to animate
the objects disappears (PuppetMaster) is still visible (MorphBlender)
try to pick a cluster object
Messiah goes *poof*

SpikeWorx
11-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Confirmed.
Havenīt tried Puppet Master, but when I export .obj in LightWave, Morph Blender crashes Messiah.
It works well with .lwo instead of .obj, so I guess it has something to do with the .obj export/format or something that happens with the mesh while exporting?!

Layer01
11-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I have no problems with getting morphblender and silo work together

VS

Confirmed.
Morph Blender crashes Messiah.

so which is it? does messiah like obj morph targets or not? haven't checked myself yet but i'm curious cause i use silo too, and if it does'nt that'd be bad. :sad:

SpikeWorx
11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
so which is it? does messiah like obj morph targets or not?
Dunno. Iīve only tried the .obj export in LightWave. Could be something application specific that happens while exporting in .obj format :shrug:
AAron mentioned point order. Maybe something like that ?!? :shrug:

AlexK
11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Well, I just found out, that MorphBlender works as long as I don't touch the cluster objects. If I create a slider and animate via slider the objects morphs like it should. But as soon as I touch the cluster objects Messiah goes *poof* again. :banghead:
How about a little insight pmG? Or a quickfix (as this project is kind of under the deadline)?

EDIT: It also works with 3DS files exported from Wings, but still crashes when picking the cluster object. The only way I don't get a crash is if I use .lwo files exported from Wings (lucky me found a working plugin for that wonderful application).

AAAron
11-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Confirmed with morphblender, you can pull the sliders, but as soon as you select one of the cluster objects, Messiah crashes :cry:

SpikeWorx
11-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, I just found out, that MorphBlender works as long as I don't touch the cluster objects. If I create a slider and animate via slider the objects morphs like it should. But as soon as I touch the cluster objects Messiah goes *poof* again. :banghead:
How about a little insight pmG? Or a quickfix (as this project is kind of under the deadline)?
Yep, same here. As long as I donīt touch the morph targets/clusters in the list, it works. Otherwise, it crashes. Strange :shrug:
Letīs send a bug report to pmg...

AlexK
11-07-2005, 02:56 PM
PuppetMaster works, too, only with the lwo's exported from Wings. *bummer* :cry:

AlexK
11-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Letīs send a bug report to pmg...
Sent it.

-some space to fill in the needed characters for this post-

JoeCosman
11-07-2005, 07:57 PM
I do recall that messiah's load cluster requester and the load object handles things differently.

i always load up my clusters through file mode when I load the original, then use puppetmaster to convert to cluster, instead.

-JoeC

AlexK
11-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I do recall that messiah's load cluster requester and the load object handles things differently.

i always load up my clusters through file mode when I load the original, then use puppetmaster to convert to cluster, instead.

-JoeC
Many thanks Joe! :bounce:
I am able to confirm this. It worked with 3ds files (will do a test with obj tomorrow), but only if I load my cluster objects after applying the MorphBlender/Puppetmaster effect. Otherwise the cluster objects don't show up in the cluster tabs dropdown. Anyway a big thank you Joe! :thumbsup:

SpikeWorx
11-08-2005, 04:45 AM
From me, too. Also works with MorphBlender:bounce:
Nethertheless, I hope pmg fixes it.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 04:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.