PDA

View Full Version : Netrender: 9.0 vs. 9.1?

2a03
11-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello...please forgive me if this seems like a silly post... I am running c4d 9.0... I have a little render farm made up of 5 P4 machines (3ghz 1gbRAM) and a few macs(1gb RAM), my workstation is an AMD x2(2gbRAM)... I render on them all pretty much everyday all day... On some scenes the P4 render nodes stall... they either say "Start Rendering ....c4d.." and never change or they go into "rendering frame 00x" and never render any frames... I have to keep rebooting the naughty machine until it will render out frames... this happens most often with all the P4 machines, never on the macs and rarely with the AMD... I was reading some old posts here about netrender problems and how to fix them and a few people mentioned that some netrender hitches had been worked out in the 9.1 update... is that true? Would my experience with netrender get any smoother if I updated all the machines to 9.1? I'm in the middle of a big project right now... Is there any reason not to upgrade to 9.1? Thanks.

dann_stubbs
11-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Hello...please forgive me if this seems like a silly post... I am running c4d 9.0... I have a little render farm made up of 5 P4 machines (3ghz 1gbRAM) and a few macs(1gb RAM), my workstation is an AMD x2(2gbRAM)... I render on them all pretty much everyday all day... On some scenes the P4 render nodes stall... they either say "Start Rendering ....c4d.." and never change or they go into "rendering frame 00x" and never render any frames... I have to keep rebooting the naughty machine until it will render out frames... this happens most often with all the P4 machines, never on the macs and rarely with the AMD... I was reading some old posts here about netrender problems and how to fix them and a few people mentioned that some netrender hitches had been worked out in the 9.1 update... is that true? Would my experience with netrender get any smoother if I updated all the machines to 9.1? I'm in the middle of a big project right now... Is there any reason not to upgrade to 9.1? Thanks.

i'm guessing that you have enough net render clients right? since i think 3 is the common number for XL bundle unless you have purchased additonal or have studio.

since they eventually do render, i guess it isn't firewall related? since i'm not sure how rebooting them over and over would matter and effect that in a positve way.

i can't remember back too far but i would assume the 9.1 (free) update would be worth your while... i'd assume bug fixes in there but i can't recall how many for NET if any. could it be memory related? are the P4's running HT and are there any error message at all on the NET clients or NET server windows?

are you sure it is not some network issue? all cpus have distinct different IP's and you aren't using any wireless network that is causing timeouts? you sort of left out all the info on how they are plugged together (which is kinda important in networking related questions)

any more info? has it always done this? or are there times it all works fine?

dann

tcastudios
11-06-2005, 09:14 PM
I have no mix PC and Mac experience (only running macs) but as far as using R9.1 it is the absolute most solid version of Cinema I've worked with. Not a single crash (caused by Cinema.) 6 to 30 Macs NET rendering.

Cheers
Lennart

2a03
11-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Sorry I didnt see your replies sooner... I hadn't caught on that the post had been moved... So yes I have the unlimited render license and I upgraded to 9.1 a few days ago... This hadn't really happened before and all the render nodes are on a Netgear gigabit switch and there are no firewalls active, all P4s have HT and there are no error messages on Clients or Server btw... It seems it was happening because of this cursed scene that is a 960 frame animation that I am trying to render ... I was able to isolate the issue down to 5 random frames that refuse to render completely... c4d net would get stuck at %99 for a long time... there are 5 frames left in the render (433,487,515,580,632 to be exact) I kept restarting the clients but no matter what they would not render these frames... So I tried loading the scene on my workstation to render out the troublesome frames one by one... So I tried to render the first one out using "render to pictureviewer" it started off well enough and rendered out about %98 of the frame in 7minutes then the render line just stopped and its been that way for about 30 minutes now...It is an AMDx2 4400 with 2gb Ram and before it stopped the CPU usage was at %100 but now its at %54... I assume the other frames are also this way?! Has anyone had this happen before? I guess I can try rendering it out using the 9 tile cam next... Its just really strange...

2a03
11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
So I solved my problem...it wasn't Cinemas fault it was mine... I had some render settings that the RenderKing would probably call "overkill" :eek: All I did was halve my ray,shadow, and reflection depth settings and the frames rendered out fine... I had them set really high because it is a dense forest scene with a relective floor... Thanks to those that replied :) Now back to work...

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.