PDA

View Full Version : CG Cast Episode 8 - Interview with Leo (CGTalk Founder)

archerx
11-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Hey guys I finally was able to do another episode for cgcast, Im sorry for missing 2 weeks but I just started art school and i've been busy and getting used to it and etc, but never fear im back on track!

So this show I interview Leonard Teo, with out him we won't be posting here, he has a lot of info to share about the future of cgtalk! so check it out!

www.cgcast.com (http://www.cgcast.com) as always!

alexyork
11-06-2005, 04:09 PM
excellent stuff! your previous casts have been really interesting so this one should be great too no doubt.

rblitz7
11-06-2005, 04:13 PM
..Finally!!:scream:

PhilWesson
11-06-2005, 04:38 PM
oooh, been waiting for this one...

Dias
11-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks. :)

rblitz7
11-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow! Great job Leonard!:) That portfolio thing sounds real cool!

Canadianboy
11-06-2005, 05:22 PM
listening to it right now and that portfolio sounds amazing.

brudney
11-06-2005, 07:45 PM
26?! :surprised hmmm, I somehow thought you were at least 36 ;)

and yeah, good job archerx...again :thumbsup:

ivanisavich
11-07-2005, 03:38 AM
Hey Archer,

Great interview! And it looks like cgtalk even plugged you in their news section at the top of this forum! Congrats! :D

Leonard
11-07-2005, 04:04 AM
Hey Olivier,

Thanks for the interview. It was great fun!

I apologise if I was stuttering through the interview...it was past 4 AM and I was hungover at the time! :beer:

Cheers,

Leo

leigh
11-07-2005, 04:32 AM
Hey Olivier,

Thanks for the interview. It was great fun!

I apologise if I was stuttering through the interview...it was past 4 AM and I was hungover at the time! :beer:

Cheers,

Leo

Oh nice excuse Leeeooooo :D

Cyborgguineapig
11-07-2005, 04:35 AM
The future of CgTalk sounds Rad:buttrock:
Edit: Oh and the Sound quality of this interview was much more clear:thumbsup:

elnady
11-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Nice work Olivier
Cool interview:)

doublerr
11-07-2005, 09:13 AM
thankss a million!

iainbanks
11-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Awesome, goin to listen to it right now....should be good.

unwrap
11-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks a lot :bounce: .

Nathellion
11-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Nice interview. The CG portfolio definitely sounds exciting. :applause:

DevilHacker
11-07-2005, 11:26 AM
WOW!
Downloading as I type...
:bounce:

Texlon
11-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah nice interview indeed. And I agree that the CG-Portfolio sounds very interesting.

arvid
11-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Interesting, but what exactly is the difference between an interview distributed as a compressed mpeg layer 3 file and this podcast-mania? How did apples mp3-player "ipod" earn the status as the true and only platform for this?

Some might actually believe they would need apple products to hear this :rolleyes:

(sorry, this really has nothing to do with cgcast, I'm just opposing the whole concept of podcasts, as usual, it one thing that apple comes up with these things, but another that people actually swallow it whole as if there was no tomorrow)

PhilWesson
11-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Wow, only 26? Hmm, i'm 25... guess I better get my ass in gear...

Slurry
11-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Interesting, but what exactly is the difference between an interview distributed as a compressed mpeg layer 3 file and this podcast-mania? How did apples mp3-player "ipod" earn the status as the true and only platform for this?

Some might actually believe they would need apple products to hear this :rolleyes:

(sorry, this really has nothing to do with cgcast, I'm just opposing the whole concept of podcasts, as usual, it one thing that apple comes up with these things, but another that people actually swallow it whole as if there was no tomorrow)

I think the cool thing about Itunes and Ipod is the service as a whole as opposed to the content/medium. You can subscribe to your favorite podcasts and have them download automatically. No browsing, searching or manual downloads. Just subscribe and enjoy. No fuss, no muss!
Why knock it? :shrug: It's cool! :cool:

And Olivier, I've noticed your interviews getting better with each podcast. Keep up the great work. It's a wonderful way to contribute to the community.

Art

Leonard
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Wow, only 26? Hmm, i'm 25... guess I better get my ass in gear...

Did I add that I didn't have much of a life? I started CGTalk on Christmas day for goodness' sake! :eek:

Leo

arvid
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Why knock it? :shrug: It's cool! :cool:Yea, well I guess it was the mandatory ipods on the frontpage that made me enter rant-mode :scream:

Slurry
11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Ya, Mac products are definitely trendy and appeal to the status conscious. I'm tempted to get an Ipod too though.

Victim of the marketing machine....can't resist cute and simple design....need Ipod to feel hip...must go to starbucks and lounge with my Ibook and drink a latte!

I think Apple is really good at selling a lifestyle.

HEhehe. ;)

splintah
11-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Yea, well I guess it was the mandatory ipods on the frontpage that made me enter rant-mode :scream:

i thought it was a great idea
so eberybody knows instantly its gonna be a podcast
altough i thought its a video podcast

whatever

nice just subsribed
i remember you talking about doing a podcast but then i forgot about it
nice to see you are already at episode 8 !!

great work

yolao
11-07-2005, 02:14 PM
hi Leo, nice interview.

I would like to suggest a d'artiste book about reallistic human skin texture..that show all the aspects from the texture it self to bring the textures to the model..

archerx
11-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey, guys im glad you're enjoying the show, yes they're getting better since im learning from my mistakes and have everything set up much better and it also helped that i didn't do it at 3am like most of the other shows :p

I myself don't really like the term "podcasting" or much of what apple has to offer but hey im just going with the flow.... I prefer creative mp3 players myself....

Well i would like to thanks everyone for listening and thanks to Leo for sharing his time and voice with us :p

Weider
11-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Great job Archer and Leo! will listen the show soon.

SheepFactory
11-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Did I add that I didn't have much of a life? I started CGTalk on Christmas day for goodness' sake! :eek:

Leo

ah come on , dont forget all the good times at the sports bar in front of metreon :)

Neil
11-07-2005, 07:44 PM
How was the interview conducted... sounds really clear.

In regards to the cgtalk rag coming out, let me just say that the point of "highest quality" seems unnecessary. It makes perfect sense with books since books are meant to be kept, but when I get a mag, I flip through it and toss it out. Half the mags at work are just being used to keep coffee rings off of my desk :)
In this case I don't want the highest quality cost passed onto me. Print it on laser printer paper for all I care, as long as i can read and see what points you're trying to get across. I might not be speaking for all, but that's my opinion.

rblitz7
11-07-2005, 08:29 PM

In regards to the cgtalk rag coming out, let me just say that the point of "highest quality" seems unnecessary. It makes perfect sense with books since books are meant to be kept, but when I get a mag, I flip through it and toss it out. Half the mags at work are just being used to keep coffee rings off of my desk :)
In this case I don't want the highest quality cost passed onto me. Print it on laser printer paper for all I care, as long as i can read and see what points you're trying to get across. I might not be speaking for all, but that's my opinion.
I dont think he meant super high quality but im sure it will be reasonably priced and not too glamorous but glamorous enough.

Leonard
11-07-2005, 08:58 PM

I want to make something that's high quality and that people can be proud of, that doesn't kill the bank. Like I said in the interview, I specifically don't want to create another 3D World or CGW magazine -- for the very reason that folks like you use it to keep the coffee rings off the desk, or for toilet paper. We want to make a mag that's worth keeping -- think of National Geographic. Something that's high quality in both production and content terms.

Leo

Pooyag
11-07-2005, 09:00 PM
wow...Love to listen to that one....
archer i am the one who couldnt download back then for those last 2 interviews. but i dont know one day i did download them. and now that there's a new one i cant open your website again.....what's wrong ?:shrug:

JDex
11-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Great interview... need to go back and listen to the previous episodes (just learned about it).

The plug on the front page made me thing it was video though... lol.

ekah
11-07-2005, 09:39 PM
We want to make a mag that's worth keeping -- think of National Geographic. Something that's high quality in both production and content terms.

Leo

That sounds great Leo. Great content with minimal ads would be nice. Would it be as moderately priced as National Geographic? Or, is it going to be more in the neighborhood of Cinefex? Hopefully the former. :)

Neil
11-07-2005, 10:44 PM
One other question, in your interview with Lunatique you were talking about controversial images of toture. Was that on cgtalk? Where was that? I want to satisfy my curiousity.

rawgon
11-07-2005, 10:55 PM
This is great! yeah im curious about that one! btw, great conversation with Lunatique, he have great vision about art & life.

maddness
11-07-2005, 11:22 PM
can i subscribe to it with itunes??

rblitz7
11-08-2005, 12:18 AM
can i subscribe to it with itunes??
Here you go!
DIRECT ITUNES LINK (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=80234066)
btw I did the cover art. hehe:D

maddness
11-08-2005, 12:24 AM
yeah, thanks.

The art looks good. hahahah

moontowerforlike
11-08-2005, 01:07 AM
very well bad boy:thumbsup:

rblitz7
11-08-2005, 01:35 AM
yeah, thanks.

The art looks good. hahahah
yeah, nothing special but im proud of it. lol.

Lunatique
11-08-2005, 02:35 AM
One other question, in your interview with Lunatique you were talking about controversial images of toture. Was that on cgtalk? Where was that? I want to satisfy my curiousity.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214553

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2803911)

JDex
11-08-2005, 02:43 AM
May want to check that link Robert.

Lunatique
11-08-2005, 03:33 AM
May want to check that link Robert.

Oops, I fixed it.

Jhotun
11-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Cool interview :) and cool podcast. Subscribed!

Leonard, please, do not forget the spanish languaje on the magazine :)

Thanks for your work man.

Cheers

sergioKomic
11-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Good going ArcherX !

(BTW I thought it was video too! )

Neil
11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214553

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2803911)

Thanks! I see it's a BIG thread dating back all teh way to February. Haha. How did i miss that? I guess I don't linger in general discussion as much anymore.

snowkiwi
11-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey Leonard,

Great interview. You are the man. I'm excited about the CG portfolio and the new magazine. It's really great to hear from an over-achiever. Great luck with your plans. Cheers man.

Jokinen
11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Really nice interview! :) Definitely subscribed!

More of these please :)

Btw Leonard, don't forget to get the magazine to Finland aswell ;)

I wish I lived in the US and could just pick it of a news-stand :banghead:

Good work, keep it up!

-JJ

embryotic
11-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanx Olivier, very interesting and informative - Ive just been downloading the rest of your podcasts - Keep it up, I think you are on to a good thing!

I especially like the interview with Lunatique (Robert Chang), I found it quite inspirational really, And helps me to be understand his sometimes 'confronting' passions ...

Neil
11-08-2005, 10:31 PM
A recommendation that I wanted to make was to try to make the conversation flow. Instead of just having your list of questions and going 1 by 1 waiting for an answer try to build on his/her answers and make new questions from that. That way you get new and fresh answers that aren't rehersed. Good job.

Mibus
11-08-2005, 11:17 PM

Apple didn't start the "podcast" thing, others did. Read up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast) on the history if you fancy :). The "big difference" over straight MP3 files is using RSS to notify people of new episodes.

Web + MP3 = Good
RSS + MP3 + Auto-downloads = Excellent

Apple only picked up on it in June this year with iTunes 4.9.

Nice work on the podcast - did you guys use iChat, Google Talk, Skype, or what?

archerx
11-09-2005, 08:46 PM
thanks for the input guys, Neil im still trying to get conversation dynamics right, but its not very easy with skype :p but yea im trying to improve.

ok guys, i don't think i'll be able to do anymore shows for this month.... why? because im almost out of bandwidth, 74+gigs used up so far and my hosting only gives me 100gigs a month so it would be very nice if you guys click the ads on the site so i can get some money, with the money i'll upgrade my hosting so i can have more bandwidth, thus having more shows!

well thanks again for the support guys!

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2005, 08:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.