PDA

View Full Version : XPresso - Move objects axis

FredSpeaks
11-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I have looked through the manual and can't find a node to move an objects axis (as in cinemas object axis tool). I have a small part of a larger assembly which I would like to move the axis of, and then once it is moved be able to control the rotation. Basically, I need to slide the axis from the center of an object to the edge for the object to swing like a door.

backlashcs
11-05-2005, 08:20 PM
you can't use cinemas object axis move tool and just have all the parts under a null object?

Per-Anders
11-05-2005, 08:48 PM
there's an xpresso networks to do this on my site, do a search for "axis" on the homepage and it should come up.

otherwise you will need to do this manually if you want to edit an axis (i.e. shift the points in the opposite direction to the axis change, the axis is defined by the objects Matrix).

Darter
11-05-2005, 09:26 PM
mdme_sadie, your expression looks good in the sample movies but I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Anyway, here's a basic XPresso setup for shifting all of an object's points relative to its axis. It requires a proxy object, which should be created after the final geometry has been added then left alone. User Data are on the XPresso tag.

FredSpeaks
11-06-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks everyone. I will take a look at this and see if i can adapt them to my needs.

FredSpeaks
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
I am just going to use a workaround for this. Using a null object as the object axis. Attaching my file incase anyone wnats to use it.

Also wanted to add, I couldn't figure out what to do with your Virtual Axis file either. The movies made it look great, but there are no input on the protected XPresso.

Per-Anders
11-07-2005, 09:33 PM
hmm? all you do is put the virtual axis object as a child of the obejct you want to animate the axis of... then animate the virtual axis null around as you please, it will reset the parents axis to the virtual axis' position. it was however somewhat problematic as you do have to control it's position somehow or other and naimate it (yet it's local position will of courase always be 0), i can't remember what method i used to actually animate it in the end, probably just careful timeline modification.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2005, 09:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.