PDA

View Full Version : Autoframe selection

pukvete
11-05-2005, 08:05 PM
I've been trying Silo and there's a great feature that I'm trying to implement in Maya. In Silo when you select an object or component it automatically rotates the camera around it so you don't have to hit something like F in Maya to frame it first.

Does anyone know if there is a script that does this or how you would go about implementing this with MEL?

gilley
11-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I would love to have this feature in Maya. MAX has the same feature you're talking about and I miss it having had to switch to Maya. Pressing F all day long is no fun :sad:

wrend
11-06-2005, 01:21 AM
scriptJob with an event trigger of SelectionChanged. not sure if silo tumbles about point too? you'll probably find the default framing too close, so you'll need to set the fit factor to something more appropriate, based on object size or the like.

thematt
11-06-2005, 09:22 AM
It's funny but being used to the maya workflow, I hated that option in Max.hehe.
I guess it just a question of use.

cheers

search here by the way this has been discuss multiple time, with some script gave away to simulate that fonction, i even wrote one from what I remember, but it was not perfect.

pukvete
11-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Best would be if the camera doesn't dolly but just sets the rotation pivot on the selection. So you don't get any spastic camera movements as you select point to point. Thematt have you got the script somewhere?

mhovland
11-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I am currently working on this for a couple of people on the Silo forum. Check this thread.

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4901

Starrider
11-06-2005, 03:51 PM
just if you are still trying to figure it out:

source this command to go to "silo-mode":

int $siloJob = `scriptJob -e "SelectionChanged" "FrameSelected"`;

and this here to cancel it:

scriptJob -kill $siloJob -force;

i hope it was helpful.

mhovland
11-07-2005, 03:40 PM
I went down that road initially, but the problem with FrameSelected, is each time you change selection the viewport jumps, which is less than ideal if you are tweaking geometry.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2005, 03:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.