PDA

View Full Version : Help: Large Scale Renders

ronhondo
11-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Over the last month I have embarked on doing a series of large scale giclée (fine art) prints.

Yesterday's wesware's thread 3d Still: Room/Furniture (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=291238) caught my attention. It is a wonderful image in all the ways commented on; IT ROCKS! Not wanting to hijack his thread I am starting a new thread to get some help with what I am trying to do.

Wes' render took 85 hours (17"/9" 300 dpi). My target goal is a decent render 48" x 96" @ 200dpi. or 9,600 x 19,200 pixels. YIKES. I did a test at 48" x 72" x 200dpi which came in at 74 hours, 1.71 GB on my G5 2.0 dual. Just tweaking with the file in PS choked my box. I am asking for your general help in getting there from where I am at with it, that is the need to speed things up. I am lame and lazy at optimizing the files, both render and post, and have to work on that. I have ordered a new box - G5 DP Quad 2.5 which should ship in a couple of weeks. I have yet to call Maxon and get a CD or at least a serial for C4D Net Render and get that going. I have FR2 for OS X on pre-order, but don't know when it will ship. (Any rumors?). Setting up a small render farm would be a possibility, or perhaps using Render King to do it remotely. Don't know if I can adapt my artie work flow to all this.

More specificly, any info on getting around the 16000 pixel limit in C4D. I just looked at the camera9tile XPresso object, that comes with 9.5, and want to give it try. My first thougt is that I really don't need 9 tiles, can I alter the expression to do say a 4 tile camera? Probally just a DUH thought.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I know all this has been covered before or elsewhere, but has only become relevant to me recently.

Thanks/ Ron

Srek
11-05-2005, 06:39 PM
With 9.5 there comes a new version of the tiled camera setup allowing everything from 2x2 tiles up to 5x5.
Cheers
Björn

ronhondo
11-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Where do I find it? I only see the 9 Tile camera and the 25 Tile Camera in the Object Library, or how do I alter these cameras? Is this in the manual? The "Tips: Rendering- 9 Tile Camera" on the Maxon site only ref's the 8.5 version. And it's not mentioned in the 9.5 addendum. Sorry, I'm not getting it yet.

/Ron

Srek
11-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Take a look at the new contnet browser. The new Tiled Camera Preset is in the Misc library.
Cheers
Björn

Per-Anders
11-05-2005, 09:42 PM
sorry, hit the wrong button by accident and closed by mistake! thread should now be open again.

ronhondo
11-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Hope it is now open. Could make me paranoid. :eek:

I found the new Tiled Camera Preset in the Misc Lib. I got it open, I have yet to get it working. Hope I can run some tests tonight.

Thanks, Srek

/ron

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2005, 12:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.