PDA

View Full Version : Render Pass Tutorials?

usernamerequired
11-05-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm trying to do render passes (Beauty, Diffuse, Shadow, etc) but the tutorial in the new Maya 7 goes on and on about new changes but doesn't help at all about basic principles.

I have 3 spheres on a ground plane and when i render (all in menta ray) the master layer, I get my scene. I put them all on one layer, clicked the flag and selected beauty. Got my scene exactly as it was before. I then did color and got exactly the same thing. Then I tried Specular, Shadow and Diffuse renders and all I got was black.

Why does everything show up in my beauty and color renders nothing on my shadow, diffuse or specular?

Any suggestions or links to tutorials would help a lot!

MSB
11-05-2005, 04:57 PM
first you have to understand the principle behind the passes..the idea is that you need to render each phonemnon alone for instance the shadow it self so that you can change it as you may see fit...and so on..so

lets say that you wan't to render the specular pass...think about it

we don't need colour nor shadow or reflection (it depends on ur need about the bump if you wan't ot include it)so we have to turn off the diffuse,colour and reflection so do it..and you will get specular pas....and for the shadow pass Maya saves the shadow pass in the alpha channel..AND do not use maya passes system its very bad system...do it ur self like the good old way..every pass in scene...

hope that helps.

usernamerequired
11-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah, no, I get the whole idea of selecting one attribut, putting it in a layer and rendering that in its own file for adjustment later in a compositing program, the problem was that specific attributes werent showing up in my renders and other times everything was rendering.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2005, 05:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.