PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Line Art Help!

RichCG
11-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey everyone. I haven't been here in awhile.

I was wondering if someone can help me. See if I have this interview on Tuesday with a publisher. It's my second interview and it's in the production department. I going to be taking a graphics "skills" test, so they call it.

One of the tasks include scanning the Artboards as line art! I've done some research and i'll tell you what I have and then maybe I can get some feed back on it:

Scan the artboard in Greyscale mode @ 1200 dpi (?), darken the image using the levels adjustments tool, clean up random pencil marks using the erase and brush tool, and then save as a Bitmap....

Well that's all I have maybe someone can help me with this

spmonahan
11-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Sounds to me like you know what you're doing. I have two comments:

If the boards are done in pencil and you want them to look like they were done in pencil it may be better to scan in RGB as it has much more color information than Greyscale and you can always desaturate the RGB image to make it black & white. That may not matter though.
The resolution you scan at really depends on what you need the final image for. If you need to reprint the boards at the same size as the original 300dpi @ 100% is all you need. If they need to be reprinted bigger, then more resolution is called for.
In my experience they will tell you what they want it to look like and what they need it for and you can decide how to go about things based on that.

RichCG
11-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I appreciate the help. Thank you. This is the only part I am nervous about. I just taught myself InDesign so I can know it when I go there b/c that is what they use. But I'm not even worried about that, I'm just worried about the scanning part. I hope they tell me certain things that way I know how to proceed.... just nervous, this place is like my dream job!

Thanks for the info.

AdamantiumKnot
11-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Good luck, Rich! Let me know how it all goes.

-Joe

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2005, 07:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.