PDA

View Full Version : Easy(?): Controlling placement of specular?

Snorkledorf
11-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to follow a LightWave tutorial with C4D, and am having trouble figuring one step out. They use a vertex map to control the specularity of a certain area: a character's lips. I.e., the material is the same skin color but in the area of the vertex map it should be shiny. Fairly matte otherwise. They're using the vertex map to affect LW's Specularity channel, but C4D doesn't have a place to put a map/shader in the Specularity tab.

The Diffusion channel with "affect specularity" checked seems to partially work, but when I tried to put a black-and-white checkerboard in C4D's Diffusion channel as a test, in addition to affecting its specularity it also darkens the black areas. Not what I want - the test plane here should be fully red, but with only the specularity showing a checkerboard pattern.

I'm obviously missing something, but what?

Thanks!

Pres

Geespot
11-05-2005, 02:12 PM
If you turn off the affect specular in the diffusion channel, use the same checker shader in the Specular color channel (but reverse the colour of the checkers). I believe that does what you want

Per-Anders
11-05-2005, 08:40 PM
heh i opened this thread expecting somethign quite different (i do have a tool for interactively placing the speculars on objects).

what you want to use is the specular color channel as geespot says.

Snorkledorf
11-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Ah. You mean the channel RIGHT NEXT TO the one I was looking at, with a name that OBVIOUSLY RELATES TO SPECULARITY? The one that I never bothered to check? Gee why would I ever look at a channel like that? :wip:

Thanks, it's all working now. Vertex maps and all.

Pres

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.