PDA

View Full Version : custom controllers for bones

Layer01
11-05-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi
I'm trying to set up my character with custom controlers, like the rings and stuff you see so often used to grab instead of the bones.
but i cant figure out how to do this, i've been told to replace the bone in question with the new item, but i cant get this to work, and i though maybe an expression could be made but i'm not sure which variable(s) to use.
thanks

maks
11-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Usually you use a combination of MoveTo and Align expressions, where you move your controller to the desired position, and then align your bone to that controller. That's the principle.

stooch
11-07-2005, 09:02 PM
armatures?

Layer01
11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
armatures?

no not armatures, watch maks reel and you'll see what i mean. On almost all his characters he has controllers that the user can grab etc... but they are not armatures (they are there too though)

i havent tried mks suggestion but it sounds like it wil do the trick (i sure it will in fact) but i will when i get the chance :)

stooch
11-07-2005, 10:03 PM
hmm after using armatures i really fail to see a superior alternative... but thats just me.

maks
11-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Ask Wegg, he hates armatures ;) Personally I think that an armature-only control rig for a body is too confusing, because of the sprite nature of the handles which don't orient with the controlled element and because they always draw in the foreground. I usually rather use them for complemental controls, and for facial rigs.

SpikeWorx
11-08-2005, 03:34 AM
Yes, thatīs right. But what I like about armatures for full body is that you can easily hide the controllers or groups of controllers all together by a simple click.

@maks: Is there a way to hide normal controller objects by an armature? Manually hiding them every time is time consuming?
A command would do.
Canīt find a command for changing the object drawing mode (maybe Iīm just too stupid, but canīt find it :sad: )

That would give me the best of both worlds.

stooch
11-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Ask Wegg, he hates armatures ;) Personally I think that an armature-only control rig for a body is too confusing, because of the sprite nature of the handles which don't orient with the controlled element and because they always draw in the foreground. I usually rather use them for complemental controls, and for facial rigs.

thats why i use double click armatures to collapse handles unless i need them...

hey pmg is it possible to use custom 3d shapes instead of armature icons? this would really be the best alternative...

Suricate
11-08-2005, 05:16 AM
@maks: Is there a way to hide normal controller objects by an armature? Manually hiding them every time is time consuming?
A command would do.
Canīt find a command for changing the object drawing mode (maybe Iīm just too stupid, but canīt find it :sad: )

Mark Wilson did a plug-in for that. It can be found in the Yahoo list in the 'Files' section here (http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4D5wQy_heLfB_Awjj1QKuErKHERwwmZfXvvlZMBGk3oA7lY38BZCLjThjkujHO4o4LKfnPpcpFI2sY7DNjTVbyl0VzI2UI4jfh8HPBGbOcc/MW_SetDisplay.zip). The command itself is called 'MW_DisplayMode'.

SpikeWorx
11-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Thanks Christopher (and of course Mark Wilson... and Maks for posting it @Yahoo).
Thatīs what I need ! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 07:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.