PDA

View Full Version : graffitiMan WIP

toastie
11-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Got started on a new model and figured id's post it. I never end up finishing anything and always hope that by posting it on cgtalk i would somehow be more motivated, but it never works out that way. har har.. :\

this is lowpoly, but please dont crit me on wasted polygons, i am well aware of them and don't give a damn about poly limits.

http://www.ivansafrin.com/crap/hoodie.jpg

toastie
11-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Whoa, sorry for the triple post, I didn't even realize it.. please remove the other two if you have the power!

HellBoy
11-05-2005, 12:29 PM
That's gonna need hell of a unwrapping m8
Fingers and the hand are dodgy too, show us more angles

maul
11-05-2005, 12:41 PM
It looks nice :) just wonder, what's that thing sticking out on the side of the head??

SammyB
11-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Very cool idea, can't wait to see what you do with this. Any ref or just freestyling?

ChimpanG
11-05-2005, 07:14 PM
It looks nice :) just wonder, what's that thing sticking out on the side of the head??
radio antenna ;)
anyways fantastic idea, i love it!

Alex McGilvray
11-06-2005, 07:17 AM
yeah, definately kickass idea and nice model :)

obelisk
11-06-2005, 11:44 AM
i don't give a damn about poly limits.

Then add a few edgeloops around the elbow and shoulder so you can animate this sucker properly, hard-ass. Looks great BTW.

Keep it coming tough guy!

Cheers,

-O

the_podman
12-11-2005, 06:12 AM
LOL... obelisk, your post had me dying.. :)

ok.. serious now. :) obelisk has the right idea about making it animation friendly. It'll be crucial just to get those arms down and have it look OK.

Also need to think about "hinge" points. Set the loops to converge where you want bending to occur. 3 loop system for bending is what works the best since your not concerned with polycount. You've got 2 loops that will have absolute values(1s and 0s) and another for "blending" that will have averages. Your edge spacing is a little erattic right now, try to not have too many non-manifold quads because it's going to stretch out the texture.

Here's a pic.. Something along the lines of this:

http://www.rodbrett.com/hoodieMOD.jpg

It's an interesting model. Keep at it :)

-pod

ocarian
12-11-2005, 01:22 PM
interresting model

it look like (Mark echos getting up) in the future :D

but I want to see more

good luck for next :)

toastie
12-12-2005, 01:20 AM
wow havent worked on this dude in awhile :P

thanks for your comments, guys, im definately gonna add joint loops to him once im done with some of the general annoyances ive been trying to work out. Like the legs. Cant seem to get them into a satisfying state. Here's the current WIP, let me know if you have some suggestions, especially in the leg area.

cheers!

http://www.ivansafrin.com/crap/graffiti2.png

the_podman
12-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Could you post a sideview wireframe? I need to see what it looks like from the side for a proper crit.

Thanks,
-pod

toastie
12-12-2005, 06:27 AM
sure, heres an ortho view

sorry for the different colorscheme, im on a different machine right now, so had to use the wings default.

http://www.ivansafrin.com/crap/graffiti3.jpg

SHEPEIRO
12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
hey funky ass design, top half is brill, bottom is poor, spend some more polys on those trousers, lower the bottom of the leg, add some folds, and get some propper shoes on him and itll be sweet.

powerACE
12-12-2005, 02:45 PM
can i see a front view also? :D

for somehow i feel the hands are short...
anyway its a nice model :)

the_podman
12-12-2005, 07:58 PM
You have some issues with proportions if you are going for realistic-type human cannon but apart from that, the form of the character needs to be tightened a bit more before you start to chisel details.

I would recommend removing all the accessories and hood and try and get a generic "gesture" shape to establish the form. Keep it "Gridstyle" with loops evenly spaced and just get a nice side and front sillouette down. Don't worry about edgeloops until you've got a nice overall shape. A good way to check this is to turn off all lights and get a nice "black" sillouette from the front and side. Once this looks good, then dress him up in the gear.

Part of the problem I'm seeing is that you are putting in the jacket, pants, gear, etc. but not thinking about the form underneath the clothing; how the body's limbs are going to determine the look and curvature of the clothing.

The pants are too short right now so he looks like he's wearing floods. Start to spend your polys on defining nice bold shapes. Everything's looking a little too boxy. DON'T use meshsmooth or subdivide, you'll only bury yourself in the lost forest more. Add the splits to define where parts are turning and think about how the joints are going to bend and the "range of mobility" they will bend. For example, the upper leg MUST bend forward and backwards and the split of the leg left/right is secondary priority to the forward/backwards motion. By visualizing this, the cuts will make more sense to you.

Think about how the ass is going to maintain it's volume when the leg is raised.(this is why deformation tests are good to do before UV unwrapping). You'll need more than the one loop you got there to achieve this. Not only that, but you can use those extra loops to "shape" the ass, so it's a double benefit.

Will the kneepad have it's own joint/bone that brances off the knee joint? If so, you are planning a "rigid" motion of it and you can leave it the way it is.
If it's part of the knee, it'll need to deform with it, so you'll have to split it to conform to the bending of the knee.

Here's where I would split the leg/ass:

http://www.rodbrett.com/Rodney/graffiti2MOD.jpg

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will have even better crits. There is a lot you need to tweak with the model but it's looking like a good project.

-Rod

toastie
12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Cool, man, thanks for the constructive comments!

It's lacking in joint cuts mostly because i havent bothered to add them and was trying to shape the basic shape first, though I went a little crazy with the gear on his body. If you remove it, it's actually not that complex up there.

Im gonna spend some time refining the overall shape and getting rid of some unwanted loops and see where that goes. You're right about the legs and Im going to spend some time redefining his ass/knee joins. Maybe ill throw him into blender for a bit and add some bones to see if he deforms ok.

Once again, thanks for a crit and glad to see a fellow New Yorker!

the_podman
12-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Once again, thanks for a crit and glad to see a fellow New Yorker!

Hehe. Well, I won't be for long.. I'm leaving Manhatten after 13 years living here. It's been a nice ride, but I'm jumping it for sunny Berkley, California. It'll be easier for me to get work there because the "game" 3d scene in New York is pretty much nonexistent with the exception of a handful of places.

Good luck with the tweaks.

-pod

toastie
12-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Blasphemy!! :rolleyes:

What is it with this exodus to California! I know like 6 people that are bailing for Cali in the next year or two. It's so nice and freezing and windy here... ah.. I guess I see why people leave. Plus you're right, if you want this to be your job NYC is not the place to be.

toastie
12-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Ok i redid the hood cause its been bothering me for awhile and made a test rehaul of the body shape, making it more stylized. Its a bit too thin in the body, so Im gonna play around with the proportions some more.

http://www.ivansafrin.com/crap/hoodie4.jpg

toastie
12-20-2005, 07:40 AM
oh and the wire:
http://www.ivansafrin.com/crap/hoodie4_wire.jpg

mayanoob
12-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I like it so far....

My only concern is he is looking abit skinny, especially around the waist area

Good work though :arteest:

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2005, 12:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.