PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Pass / Layer rendering NewbiePls Help

adrianwatkins
11-05-2005, 02:03 AM
Hello. I have been using maya for about 6 months now (mainly learning modelling) and have done a few simple animations but have now made a larger environment which takes a while to render.
Too large to render out each entire frame as i have done previously.

I tried rendering objects sepatarely in layers but the lighting came out different?!

ALSO when doing a multi-pass render how do you add them back together afterwards? I layered them in photoshop adjusting opacity but could not getting looking how it should.

I have after effects and photoshop which i plan to use for the process..

thanks
Adrian :) :) :)

PhillipCrond
11-05-2005, 05:18 AM
- Which version of Maya are you using?

- How does the lighting look different in the multi-pass render? Can you post an example?

- Which passes are you rendering (i.e., color, beauty, shadow, etc...)

Knowing these things will help a lot. I've been using and abusing multi-pass rendering for a while, so I'll probably be able to help with a little more info.

adrianwatkins
11-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Which version of Maya are you using?

Maya 6.5

- How does the lighting look different in the multi-pass render? Can you post an example?

When I rendered objects separately in a second layer - the lighing was darker, it was against the black background - i did it as a tiff for the alfa channel, lighting didnt relate to the scene...sorry dont have net space to post example at moment..

- Which passes are you rendering (i.e., color, beauty, shadow, etc...)

Honestly im just trying different variations. What ever will work. i just want to find a good general workflow which will let me render animation on a render heavy scene (without having to render the background every frame-composite in AFX)- maybe this can be done with separate layer renders - but then the shadows etc need to be added i guess

Bit vague, sorry. I know so little about this that its hard to know what to ask! :)
Whats a basic standard way to achieve this?

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2005, 01:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.