PDA

View Full Version : problem with ibl in render farming!!

Stucky
11-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi there people. I'm using Uberware smedge 2.37 and Maya 7 to render a scene with IBL. The problem is that the frames all get black. There is a new version of smedge(3.0). Is this problem because of smedge? or does ibl gives problems in render farming? thanks for the help...

-S

djx
11-05-2005, 02:06 PM
This is not necessarily a smedge problem (but anythings possible I guess). We use smedge3 on a windows based render farm, but the following conditions need to be satisfied.

Since we run the smedge engines as a service, then windows drive mapping may not work so we always use UNC for all file paths. ie. use \\host\disk (file://\hostdisk) type paths. not c: type paths.

Windows XP and 2000 has a 10 connection limit for file sharing, so if your file textures are in one place, and you render on several systems, then the limit may be reached (often quicker than you think, even when rendering with less than 10 systems - for reasons I wont go into here). We use a linux based file server, which has no connection limit, to get around this problem.
I have only used IBL in its simplest form (with a HDR image, no generated lights) but it has worked ok.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2005, 02:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.