PDA

View Full Version : I Want to build my first PC

green3dhut
11-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I have the money and I have the time, what I don't have is the experience. I can install harddrives, change video cards, replace Ram, but I've never built a PC. I want to build a work station with dual opterons, a Tyan thunder motherboard, wanna run at least two hard drives , and an N-vidia GFX 3400 256. Am I going in over my head, because I have no fear of doing this, which could be akin to insanity or stupidity, or ignorance.

Simon
11-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I did the same thing a year ago. its not as hard as it seems. Just be patient, double check as you go.

If your the kind of person to make a mistake and blow your mobo, maybe get someone to help you on your first build?

Also you might want to deassemble your current or an old pc and then rebuild it, to make sure you are fully up to it before accidently breaking expensive components.

good luck :thumbsup:

jscott
11-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you already have the skills required. If you can read directions you can build your own computer.

Really the only PITA (pain in the arse) part is finding where all the little wires go for the USB, Firewire, etc. I only say that is hard because it's not obvious. You have a bunch of little wires with connectors on the end that you have to match up to a grid of pins using the MB manual as a guide. Other than that it's just the time to assemble it all.

Really since the advent of bootable CD ROMs building a computer and getting the OS installed is fairly easy.

Just set aside ~4 hours to get it all unpacked and assembled. If you have questions just hop on here and ask.

-jscott

green3dhut
11-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the confidence boost, on avearge how much will I save instead of buying from Boxx or another company

Sp1ice
11-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Depends on parts.. when I spec'd out my machine compared to Alienware/Boxx/Dell I saved a good 500+ US Dollars.. but I did not have to buy an OS which would have added another 140 bucks to the price.. or a monitor which a lot of them include for free.. so if you consider those bits to I probably only save about 200 bucks building it myself.. if you want to count time I spend an average of an hour ( mostly waiting for the OS to load ) so depending on what your time is worth it may be worth it to buy a pre-built.

qwatkins
11-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Depends on parts.. when I spec'd out my machine compared to Alienware/Boxx/Dell I saved a good 500+ US Dollars.. but I did not have to buy an OS which would have added another 140 bucks to the price.. or a monitor which a lot of them include for free.. so if you consider those bits to I probably only save about 200 bucks building it myself.. if you want to count time I spend an average of an hour ( mostly waiting for the OS to load ) so depending on what your time is worth it may be worth it to buy a pre-built.

Also, the big guys (Boxx, etc.) have more purchasing power due to buying in bulk. So, they make more because they are buying hundreds of Opteron chips at a time so they get a price break from the manufacture compared to the "Consumer" that purchase one or two at a time.

Ed Caracappa
11-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Building your own machine is a very satisfying experience! I still build my own stuff if for no other reason than I can. Give it a shot. If you run into trouble there are plenty of people around here who can help you.

Ed

Elsie
11-05-2005, 01:19 PM
I recently built my first PC, with the help of a lot of the guys on the Hardware forum, and believe me when I say if I can do it so can you heh, so go for it and let us know how you get on. Thanks again everyone for helping me with the parts by the way :buttrock:

Simon
11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Oh just one point.

Plan your build a little.

When it got to the point of adding my 2nd hardisk, and little extras, I found it really hard to actually reach inside my case, If Id added it first my hands wouldnt of got so mashed.

M@DM@X
11-05-2005, 03:32 PM
all i have to say is give it a go, you only learn from experiance just make sure you dont give your brand new parts a dose a static electricity or it wont evan boot up and make sure to mount the motherboard with risers as that will cause problams too.

here is the website i used when i was about 14 that helped me out when i wanted to know more about pcs

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

TheClick
11-06-2005, 09:24 AM
I remember doing the same thing early 2004. And I was right here at this message board absorbing the wealth of knowledge. The one thing that I remember most is the centuries old battle between the Followers of Nvidia and the Disciples of ATI. Could get really nasty but it was funny. You probably already know about that one.

All I wanted to add, was a few pointers. You sound like you already know what your doing pretty good. I had alot of trouble building mine, for one main reason. The BIOS on my motherboard.
It was not flashed or updated or whatever to support a 120Gig harddrive(above standard for late 2003) and it was a pain in the ass. Had to take it in for inspection and pay $80 just to find out. Make sure the motherboard bios and chipsets are ok with the hardware.

Next all was good except for one annoying thing. I had a FireGL-Z1, which was a mid/high end graphics card. I bought this Logitech trackball mouse, which had some feature that would accelerate or something like that. Whatever the logitech mouse feature was, it would accelerate the speed of the mouse across the screen, but it was conflicting with my graphics card. Whenever this feature kicked in, I'd get a blue screen, and the error would show up as a graphics card error. Took me a while to nail it. I'd just be working on something and it suddenly stopped and gave me blue screen. After a month or two I noticed WHEN this behavior occured, when the mouse was rolling across the screen long distance.

In other words drivers may be an issue too. Make sure it's all compatible. I am nowhere near A+ certified, and most hardware knowledge is no longer held in my immediate RAM. Just a little heads up. Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2005, 09:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.