PDA

View Full Version : Mirage in desert

ali-rahimi-shahmirzadi
11-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi guys. i am working on a commercial a bout a refrigerator in a middle of a desert and i need a mirage in a near and far distant. i am using maya 7 and mentalray for this project. what is a best way to create this effect in advance. is there anyway to use a mentalray lense shader for this? any idea?:hmm:

floze
11-04-2005, 12:09 PM
What effect are you looking for specifically? Heat flickering? Hmm if I remember correctly, in the movie Stealth for example, Digital Domain used a simple grayscale gradient map to displace pixels in post. That shouldnt be too hard to achieve and is very flexible, though there's surely many other approaches.

lazzhar
11-05-2005, 07:27 AM
So far, mirage looks like water. i'd go for trying to make an animated realistic water where the mirage should apear then cheat and just render its bump (or displace) on a gray lambert and use that in your compositing software to drive some distortions and dispacements.

ali-rahimi-shahmirzadi
11-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Thanks a lot guys for a tips. iam working on it. some snapshot (no mirage yet).

http://www.ali-rahimi.net/images/wip/refrigerator/pic005.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 05:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.