PDA

View Full Version : Enslaved Flesh

Zerafian
11-04-2005, 08:12 AM
http://zerafian.vertexvortex.net/frontpageINFO/enslavedfleshWIP.jpgJust wanted to post up a character I finsihed modeling about 2 weeks ago. I havent yet had a chance to start the high res. for the normal map. I should have an update within the week with the zbrush progress. If you see anything that sticks out as odd feel free to tell me. Iam still in the stage that I can fix small things.

9200 polys
Will be using 2x 1024x 1024s and 2x 512x 512s for the normal maps and color maps.

Zerafian
11-04-2005, 08:13 AM
http://zerafian.vertexvortex.net/2DImages/Concepts/Slave.jpgHeres the concept I drew a while back on him.

copenhagenjazz
11-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Looking sweet :)

Good idea ,great concept art and promisingly mesh.
But I do think you could save a bit of polygons in the mesh without loosing the good profile by using a good normalmap. Here I especially think of the "lower" creatures face and the "upper" creatures back.
Maybe some bigger feet, and why does a creature have a loin cloth?
Anyway, looking forward to textures and normal maps. This could be a great piece :)

Zerafian
12-07-2005, 04:54 AM
I have finally started texturing this guy. He will be done with 3 1024x1024s and 1 512x 512. I may shrink them when done. Probably no though, jsut so that I can show all the detail I can add..we'll see.

He will have a bump and a specualr map also. I was having issues with the normal map so I went ahead and stopped with it.

Heres a good 4 to 6 hours into painting so far. I will be posting updates everyday. If I can get my lazy butt to do it.

Its all a WORK IN PROGRESS so C and C away. I will be able to make changes.
http://zerafian.com/frontpageINFO/ENslavedFleshGAME1.jpg

johnwoo
12-07-2005, 03:18 PM
I dig man...I do like seeing twisted/surreal creatures and this is no exception...looks like solid progression there dude...looking forward to seeing more...soon?....btw...pity about the NM's messing ya about, as this creature would really benefit better from it rather than Bump maps imho...just wondering tho' what was the actual problem tho' as there are a fair few amount of artists here who can help...could just may well be an easy fix...:shrug:..keep up the progress...

TheRedemption
12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
my only complaint is that helmet...i think it kinda takes away from the design. heh though he does look like one of those spanish soldiers from the 1700's, conquistadors?

Zerafian
12-08-2005, 04:44 AM
Heres about 4 or 5 more hours of texturing and tweeking.

Im not really digging the teeth to terribly much, you guys can tell me what you think.

TheRedemption: You arent the only one to mention the hat. When the texture is complete It will have a completely different look. From the beginning of my concept I always pictured a helmet like that on him. If it doesnt work out I will probably take off the top part..we'll see though

Johnwoo: I just was not able get normal mapping to work at all. I was using maya 7s surface sampler. I posted my problem in the texturing forum and I didnt really get any responses that helped. I think it just has something to do with my settings.
http://zerafian.com/frontpageINFO/ENslavedFleshGAME2.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon
12-08-2005, 09:08 AM
awe-inspiring texture work there. Personally, I like the teeth- are you going to try to add some gums on them?

Also concerning the normal map problem as you described it in the other thread, have you checked the directions your normals are facing with Edit Polygons>Normals>Vertex Normal Edit Tool? It looks like for whatever reason the rays its casting to bake the normal map are all pointed straight up, instead of expanding outward from the surfaces.

I had a similar problem where the normals had been reversed, yielding inverted normal maps when baked- I imagine if the normals were all pointed in one direction, it would yield similarly wierd results. Not that I've had enough experience to exactly make me an expert, so if that doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas. :P

SPIDER2544
12-09-2005, 12:21 AM
i think the thing that might be bugging you about the teeth, is that they are to narow at the base, and it doesnt fallow what most predators teeth are like. maybe if you widened them at the base of the teeth, or textured them to look more like actualy predators teeth that might help you out some.

really fatastic work mate, i cant wait to see how this fellow progresses

Zerafian
12-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Wow, geez. I can not believe it. I figured out my stupid little normal mapping problem...After messing around with all the settings I finall got it right. I jsut had to map in tangent space, making sure all the other settings corolated, but it works. Its 2am and I got it to work. Thank god.

SPIDER2544: I tried the teeth widening. To me there was still something up with it. I think its the fact that is skin is shades of grey blue and red. his teeth are shades of brown and yellow. Oh well. Unless I see that people are BOOing them I will keep them as is. Thanks for the thought though, I would not have tried it if you wouldnt have said anything.

Angel_of_Bacon: If ya read above I figured out the problem with the normal mapping so its all good. Thanks for the help though. :)

Zerafian
12-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Shew...Wanted to post this update on saturday...got lazy, what can I say. It never fails, it always seems like the first layer I make, the base shadow layer is the most boring part to do. After that its like cake, I love it..thats why it took longer than I wanted. I procrastinated on the base shadows of the torso.

Well here it is though. Anything you all would like to comment on please do. There are some areas that bother me, but they dont stick out to much. I wont say, Ill let ya find them :) The far right pic is a render, just so ya know.
http://zerafian.com/frontpageINFO/ENslavedFleshGAME3.jpg

Por@szek
12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Thats awesome. And I must say that Dark Horizons Magdalena have really good so far competition. Great work on muscles.

Definately I will visit here often.

Keep it up.

franklyn
12-13-2005, 11:45 PM
thats some amazing texture work . you're style is on level with Jason Sallenbach the artist who made effigy.
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/info/ut2004/effigy/effigy.shtml

Psyk0
12-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Damn, thats some mad texturing skills, and freaky character :buttrock:

Zerafian
12-14-2005, 05:51 PM
I cant thank you all enough for your compliments on my texturing. I glad you all like it, very cool. Sorry updates are so slow, Iam working on a couple other things at the same time so I kinda only get a few hours here and there to hit it. The next update will be with the arms and hands done on the little guy on his back.

Thx again guys. :)

Alex McGilvray
12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
awesoem!

cant wait to see the next updates :D

retardedmonkey
12-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Man that texture looks awsome, looks like its from a photo. But I dont know how you did that if it is a photo, cuz theres not too many people walking around to photograph...keep the updates flowing forth man :)

Zerafian
12-15-2005, 02:34 AM
retardedmonkey: Thanks for the compliment. To be honest ther is no need to get photos of people on your own, you can jsut go to a site called 3d.sk they have the highest res images of almost anything you could want. Pics of people down towhere you can see their pores and animals the same.

Alex: Oh its comin...thats right :)

weird-coma
12-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Hey bud, its Rob from school. Nice to see you havent lost your touch. ;-)

I think Angel of bacon might be on to what bugs me about the teeth, I think if you added gums, they might not look so funky. I kind of dig the needle-mouth look though, reminds me of an angler fish.

As for the rest, what can I say, you continue to whup ass.

Zerafian
12-16-2005, 05:11 AM
weird-come: Whats up Rob, its great to hear from ya man. I wont ramble. Go to my site so that you can get my email. Let me know what you have been up to. Thanks for what you said. I can never get enough compliments. It kinda gives me that encouragement to keep workin on him:). I' ll wait to hear from ya.

Zerafian
12-16-2005, 05:14 AM
Here is the controller(there will be a better name when I finish the character). He is all done. Of course, except for the helmet, bracers, and choker....I know I dont ahve to say anything..

The slave creature will not be all torn up like the controller. Gonna most likely be ruff leathery skin with some hard scales here and there...we' ll see. Hope you all like

Dont forget...seams are not painted yet. All seems will be done once the character is completed.

C & C is always welcome my friends :)
http://zerafian.com/frontpageINFO/ENslavedFleshGAME4.jpg

tims3d
12-16-2005, 05:25 AM
the texture is simply awesome, can't wait to see the finish product, keep up the good work :applause:

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-16-2005, 05:33 AM
Awesome work. Can't wait to see what this model looks like when it's done.

Zerafian
12-18-2005, 02:56 PM
hey everyone....just wanna say it will probably be a week until my next post. I want to pretty much finish the slave creatures entire body before I post again. ;)

Thank you all very much for your comments and support.

requiem2d
12-18-2005, 03:20 PM
That thing is absolutely hideous !! (compliment :D )

cay030
12-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Lee,

Whats up man , looks crazy as hell. Looking good man what u up ,working on some stuff. Ill talk to you in email. Keep it up man. Later Youngblood

Chris Youngblood
http://www.cyoungblood.com

Zerafian
12-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to post this up. I will be putting him on hold due to some work I will be doing. It will probably be a while before I statr back up on him. I just wanted to show you all how much further I have gotten. Thanks again everyone for your comments. Oh yea its about 8 hours of work. His head is on a map size about 512x 512..something around there. Its on a 1024x 1024 with the other guys head and both of there hands.

http://www.zerafian.com/frontpageINFO/ENslavedFleshGAME5.jpg

nibbuls
12-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Frighteningly good. :thumbsup:

carakong
12-27-2005, 08:20 AM
wow, that is spectacular, keep it up! :eek:

jfalconer
12-27-2005, 12:21 PM
c&cs: I have serious issues with the design, which is all over the place.

The skintones sure make "it" look gruesome, but don't really fit with the shapes. If it had more of an animal hide, or if it looked like some crazy pig demon it would work great.

IMO the beast would look better with inverted knees, you know, more like a t-rex than a man, since the rider is in the shape of a man. By the same rationale the tail needs to be bigger/longer, it will serve as counterweight and provide some nice secondary motion. Either that or make the lower body quadrapedal. As it is now, I can't imagine a walk/run cycle looking predatorial. I almost imagine it looking like a halloween costume with big frumpy clown feet. Its just not all that intimidating, which I suspect is your goal. I mean, think of the locomotion and ferocity of the wargs in Two Towers.

IMO the rider's hat should go, it just looks silly. It might actually work if it was one of those gladiatorial style helmets that cover the entire head, but I'm guessing you don't want to cover up his pearly whites or beautiful eyes. That said, maybe go with something with horns. Horns look cool, and in general hellspawn seem to have them, for good reason. Better yet, axe the armor altogether. From the little chunks you have right now, the only obvious protection they're providing is for the viewer (hiding his nether region's unmentionables). This would be unnecessary with a quadrapedal design.

anyway, hope this alternate point of view helps. the texture work is pretty good (I'm not really into the whole "ripped skin and muscles" look but your execution is praiseworthy).

antodonnell
12-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Really nice updates Zerafian, The colours on the texture are well chosen. Some great details, My fav being the strips of muscle connecting the bodies. Maybe for the beast you could try using some other colours or variations of, to create more of a difference could be good. Keep going with it, Good work.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2005, 07:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.