PDA

View Full Version : dino transport

paul-banister
11-03-2005, 11:53 PM
couldnt think of a better name so 'dino transport' it is then.wanted to model a character from a pic i drew instead of just making it up as i go along.gotta add more meat to the lower part of his leg,...coz they look snappable at mo.still a fairly early wip.
crits and comments v.welcome.

HellBoy
11-04-2005, 12:41 AM
thats really nice so far, like the concept, I hope you add a eye holes and do the eyes as seperate mesh

other than that, wicked m8

AdamAtomic
11-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Excellent! I loved your alien cowgirl, and this is looking very cool too. I agree, some eye sockets and eyes would go a long ways. I like the bedroll and reins, nice details!

rblitz7
11-04-2005, 01:29 AM
hmm really like the concept, Keep it up!:scream:

Por@szek
11-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Great work so far free-willy.

It looks very sweet. The modelling looks cool. Great using of polies.

I'm waiting for textures.

Great job so far man!

paul-banister
11-04-2005, 09:07 AM
thanks for the comments :D,it will have proper eyes,i was just laying down the basic form first then detailing out.if i get time today i'll post an update.

SHEPEIRO
11-04-2005, 12:49 PM
thats real cute, reminds me of someting final fantasy crossed with the style of windwaker, the concept anyway, got any ideas for a rider

xX_eXiGe_Xx
11-04-2005, 02:16 PM
thats real cute, reminds me of someting final fantasy crossed with the style of windwaker

exacktly! cuteness for the win! :D

hanzo
11-04-2005, 02:47 PM
:) free-willy very nice lowpoly, the way this looks is why I started doing game models.

I mean it's totally clean a perfect topology ( I think ) and it works well with smoothing

-hanzo

paul-banister
11-04-2005, 02:48 PM
thanks for the comments,got no idea for the rider...probly go without one :) .finally gave her some eyes,had to change the look of the seat because following the drawing meant i had to widen it out to cover top part of her legs,didnt look right so did this one instead.gotta sort the legs next then i'll update.

utchamp
11-04-2005, 03:02 PM
did you already add more 'meat' to the lower part of the legs??

they still look kinda skinny.

i love the look of it, it is so clean and clear, it will be a breeze to texture!

paul-banister
11-04-2005, 03:21 PM
utchamp:nah,havent sorted the legs yet,gonna do that next."it will be a breeze to texture!"............just watch me have probs texturing now youve gone and jinxed me:p

SHEPEIRO
11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
man youve got rid of the rolled up sleeeping mat that was my favourite part:cry: im sure you can stuill find space

love the eyes

paul-banister
11-04-2005, 04:37 PM
been modelling this mesh in seperate layers,forgot to add the sleeping mat to the render,still on my model though.

SHEPEIRO
11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
phew got me worried there:)

hanzo
11-04-2005, 04:46 PM
small update... but hey there very nice eyes this Dino looks sooO cute now.

you use lightwave?

paul-banister
11-04-2005, 04:55 PM
hanzo:thanks,yeah i use lightwave.

peterwoodsy
11-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I Love it :) really nice model I'm new to games modeling and am constantly suprised at how much can be achieved with very few poly's/tri's.

Hope i don't jinx ya more but it should animate really nicely as well as texture :)

Some nice looping for deformation.

Can't wait to see more :)

paul-banister
11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
just gotta add a buckle for the strap and finish the end of the strap where it will tie round the sticky out bit on the seat.unless theres anything else anyone can see that is missing or needs changing i'll move onto unwrapping and testing out a rig.
peterwoodsy:to be jinxed once is bad enough...but twice.....:eek: ,thanks for the comments :) .

jellywerker
11-06-2005, 02:51 AM
I really like it, a very clean mesh too. I would love to see this creature in a little run around demo or something, or at least an enviroment and rig to give it character.

the_podman
11-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Nice, willy. I would crit over here but It would be redundant seeing you got them all over at cgchat.

I'll just say again, it's a really cool model and I really enjoy seeing this little fellow develop :)

Check out free-willy's thread over at cgchat while your there:
http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=226094#post226094

I hope you get to texturing, the peice will really shine once you start that. Still waiting on the pirate (http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22899&highlight=pirate) to get some textures. Did you get your Wacom tablet yet?

-pod :)

paul-banister
11-06-2005, 10:45 AM
jellywerker:thanks,once ive rigged her up and checked i like how she deforms i'll pose her up and place in an environment.
the_podman:thanks..again:thumbsup: ,cant wait to start texturing this character,and yeah i'll texture the pirate as soon as ive done this one,think i need to take another look at his hands though,not too happy with how the thumb area deforms,...could be my placement of the bones though!
got my wacom pen sent back from germany couple of days ago,all fixed now...:buttrock:

paul-banister
11-25-2005, 10:54 PM
just to show im still working on this when i get the chance,unwrapped the head and tested out colour,bump and spec maps(never used bump and spec) just checking how things looked and was really pleased so i started unwrapping the body,..somehow i mustve selected the head geometry and moved it without knowing,then saved,which screwed up my textures.kinda annoying but it meant i could make a few adjustments to the model that i wanted to add to give more character or just to change coz they were possibly gonna cause me probs when it came to texturing,messing up my uv map was a blessing in disguise because im really pleased with the changes ive made.
setting a tri limit to 2600 so ive got some polys to add straps and other bits yet.
comments and crits much appreciated,thanks.

the_podman
11-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Cool, Willy. Keep at it. It looks great.
If you are having trouble with Lightwave's UV tools, you might want to check out UNFOLD3d, with your poly limits, you can use the free version:
http://www.polygonal-design.fr/e_unfold/index.php

Just need to setup the "shells" in Lightwave, export to .obj and clean the unwrap with one click. I was using this before Maya finally got a decent UnfoldUV tool with version 7.

-pod

paul-banister
12-08-2005, 10:27 PM
if theres any bodypaint users your help would be very much appreciated.picked a shade of blue and painted onto my model...no probs,but when i use that same blue in 'projection painting' mode it seems to paint the blue in a slightly darker shade!

im using version 2.5,never had this prob with v2.

the problem is only slightly noticeable...('BUT NOTICEABLE') so i adjusted the pic in p/shop to show it more clearly.
any ideas?????????

paul-banister
12-15-2005, 10:57 PM
texture update,trying working greyscale first then adding flat colour as an overlay.feel like im getting nowhere at moment so i think i'll leave the colour out untill ive got my greyscale layer completely finished for the whole map.if anyone has any good tips about workflow with greyscale it would be much appreciated.
c and c very welcome,thanks.

jellywerker
12-16-2005, 12:42 AM
mmm, nice, but the red makes it look very feminine, I think a green would go better here. Also make the eyes a bit more aggressive and scared, like it's creature that's hasn't been tamed too long.

Edit: it is a female, nvm, disregard above post.

the_podman
12-16-2005, 05:22 AM
:) Ok. Greyscale definately has it's ups and downs. You can make it work for you though with a few simple things to keep in mind.

The greatest plus with working in greyscale is the fact that you can focus 100% on "tonal" balance. Something that is sometimes hard to see when you start with color. No amount of color can correct bad values.

The downside is that you end up with equal levels of saturation and no hue variation in the cooler shadow areas/warmer lit areas.

The way I've been doing it(instead of using overlay color on top of greyscale) is to reverse the layer order and put the greyscale on top of the color and set it to "luminosity". The reason why is that when you add "black" to a color, you lose the color's vibrance. If you do it this way, no "black" is being added to the color. You are just adjusting the brightness level of the color underneath. It gives me more control of where I want to take the color. Keep things in layers and play around with opacity levels until it looks good.

Then, I do a merged>copy on top and start to use the sponge tool to desaturate areas in shadow and saturate areas in light.

Once that's done I start to change up the hues so that it's not just one uniform color. Sometimes I'll even "paint"(set brush to "color") color directly to parts of the texture.

Another trick I like to use a lot is to isolate areas using the lasso tool with a high feather(like 5 or 6) on certain areas and utilize Photoshop's lighting effects FILTER>RENDER>PHOTOSHOP LIGHTING EFFECTS. Here I can use colored lights on a copy of the layer to bake color hues into the texture instead of painting them in.(Watch out for seams not matching up, though. But you can probably fix those easily since you're a bodypaint user)... or, you can just Adjust the sliders on the hue levels with a high feathered area. If you have access to Corel Painter, it's got some great lighting effects that are a little better than Photoshop's.

I did my entire texture for my last model using "greyscale" methods here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=231150

I'm trying to paint directly in color these days, but greyscale works very well for someone like me with color deficiency in my eyes(partial color blindness). 90% of my portfolio to get into art school back in '93 consisted of charcole black and white peices.

3dsmax meistro, David King was the fellow that introduced me to "greyscale" methods.

Hope this helps. Although I'm sure others on this forum are more qualified to give you advice, though ;)

-pod

SHEPEIRO
12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
yes i found grey scale tricky too, i think Podmans tyechnique could have been helpful, but i have reverted to painting in colour, which i think is preferable for me. try it and see if it works for you.

the design of the texture so far is cool, pretty much consistent in style with your other works, keep up the work, and add some skin detail.

paul-banister
12-17-2005, 04:18 PM
jellywerker:thanks,the colours arent final,still playing with ideas but at least you thought it looked feminine.

podman:excellent help once again.reason im using greyscale is because im trying to learn something new with each character,with my cowgirl i painted directly as colour and never really paid much attention to form so thought i would give this a try,that and the fact im not 100% on colour patterns for this character yet so i can play around later without affecting the 'tonal values'.
Bodypaint has a list of about 20 different options for adjusting the layers,unfortunately no 'luminosity' like you mentioned.i put my map through photoshop,set out the layers as you mentioned but it looked overly bright and washed out,....playing with layer opacity would of helped im guessing but to check little changes i make i have to keep switching between p/shop and bodypaint!.
what ive done instead which i think is similar is to put greyscale layer on top,set to ''hard light'' and the colour layer is underneath set as ''normal''.once ive got greyscale completed and colour completed im definetly gonna give the other other things you mentioned about 'desaturating' etc a try.
SHEPEIRO:thanks,working on the skin detail now.

heres where im at so far,c and c very welcome.

G0st
12-17-2005, 06:58 PM
i personally like the lighter blue, it looks cuter that way

paul-banister
12-18-2005, 04:33 PM
G0st:colours arent final so theres a good chance it will end up lighter.

attached a pic showing projection paint causing probs again....IT AINT COVERING SEAMS LIKE IT SHOULD! been through preferences panel and all its options but nothing helps.annoying thing is it works perfectly sometimes and miserably other times.anyone had this prob or know what to do?

G0st
12-18-2005, 07:25 PM
its max. You need to just re-align the UV's slightly or paint outside the UVs a little more. This happens alot with Max's UV Editor, at least for me too, at work.

Konstruct
12-18-2005, 07:37 PM
yeah you just gotta clean light bakes up in your paint program.. sorta the nature of the beast- quicker than painting radiosity on complex models imo. lookin good though, keep it up

paul-banister
12-18-2005, 07:38 PM
im using lightwave.the annoying thing is that out of the 2 polys im painting over to get rid of seams,1 of them behaves 100% perfectly and any changes i make in the preferences panel affect it correctly....its the other poly that ignores the preference panel changes and so leaves a pixely seam on my model.about 1 out of every 10 times projection paint works like a dream,the other 9 times i get what ive described above.

i dont really fancy realigning the uvs but your other suggestion i can do easily enough(pretty much had to use that idea with my cowgirl character.i wouldnt mind so much if it definetly didnt work,but the fact it does occasionally work correct is the frustrating part.

thanks for your suggestions,much appreciated.

SHEPEIRO
12-20-2005, 02:03 PM
cant you just edit the map in PS and extend the problem pixels beyond the edge of the poly. wont be perfect but will look better:shrug:

paul-banister
12-20-2005, 11:05 PM
just tried that idea and it works.out of the entire model its only the 4 polys that are on the top part of the neck thingy that projection paint is having probs with!

seems im learning the hard way texturing at the moment.i was compressing the scene to send to technical support so i flattened all my layers then thought nah,i'll not bother doing it that way,so i exited without saving which means it will still be saved as i left it the last time i worked on it......but,for whatever reason it 'did' save and as far as i know i cant revert back to before i did this.so all those layers i had are no more and the work i did on my greyscale is permanently mixed with the colour layer!!!
when ive been building models in lightwave it saves automatically to a temp file somewhere on the comp,so i could roughly go back to a save before the problem,i havent found that same system for bodypaint,unless im looking in the wrong place?.

paul-banister
01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
got time to do some more on this character,its dragged on way too long because i keep changing something on the model or the uv's, or i come across a problem that sets me back a bit....anyhow,enough with the exscuses,heres where im at so far,comments and crits very welcome.

paul-banister
01-18-2006, 11:19 PM
playing around with the colours,think i like this one better.

BananaSalat
01-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Cool texture, nicely done. I like the secound color sheme better.

hanzo
01-19-2006, 03:48 AM
wo, I thought this one had died!

excellent textures dude

paul-banister
03-17-2006, 01:09 AM
picked up this character again after such a long time,one way or another it will be finished by monday because i want to get started on another character,anyway...the original concept had blue as the main colour so ive gone back to that,the arrow case and bag need finishing and the bump is just my colour map at the moment so that needs sorting properly too.been staring at it so long that i could really do with fresh eyes looking at it,...so any crits or comments would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

oh yeah,..the rope/reign is fully rigged and arrow feathers are still part of the model,just forgot to sort them for this render.

thrawn83
03-17-2006, 01:28 AM
sweet little creature and very nice use of colors.
Are you familiar with paraworld (http://www.paraworld.com/) from sek ost?
they have dinos in their RTS as well.

Looks pretty finished to me?!
I'd like to see some close ups!

kind regards
Jens.

the_podman
03-17-2006, 04:45 AM
It's a beautiful peice, willy. Did you make use of Lightwave's Skelegons?

LoTekK
03-17-2006, 07:13 AM
That is adorable. :) Where can get one as a pet? :D

SHEPEIRO
03-17-2006, 09:16 AM
forgot about this one, amazing, so cute, yet fast looking

Nurbguy
03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
amazing little model, reminds me a lil of yoshi!

i've sent u a PM by the way free-willy:)

paul-banister
03-18-2006, 11:05 AM
thrawn83:thanks,yeah im familiar with that game,visually it looks amazing.its nearly finished but there are still areas that need worked,so i'll do them then post closer shots.

the_podman:thanks,yeah i did,they make the 'boning' process much easier seeing as how skelegons can be moved,rotated and scaled etc with the tools you use to alter polygons.plus,something i only just discovered while working on this character is that with skelegons you can test out the rotation and weight maps on your model to see if it will deform how you want it to,if it doesnt its just a case of a few clicks to alter the skelegon and away you go again,whereas with bones in the 'layout' side of lightwave it was a much more tedious and frustrating process to rig characters.

LoTekK:thanks :)
SHEPEIRO:thanks :)
Nurbguy:thanks :)

closer shot :)

KMcNamara
03-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Very cool! Reminds me of that World of Warcraft style.

PetterSundnes
03-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Very cool! Reminds me of that World of Warcraft style.

My thoughts too, really nice style and reminds me of the mechanical birds the gnomes in World of Warcraft rides on.

FreakyDude
03-19-2006, 03:08 PM
doesn't remind me to anything warcraft related, more like final fantasy. I think it fits better there too. I like this creature....

Thyriax
03-20-2006, 11:12 PM
yeah! Very cool modeling and concept!
Nice starting :thumbsup:

Por@szek
03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi

I was watching your thread from the beggining till now - the end. And i must say that I am impressed of your texture skills.

The character is really sweet and great made. Congrats for finishing it.

Take care and hope u will do something simillar soon ;)

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.