PDA

View Full Version : Agent Rhodes

johnwoo
11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Hello all...

This is a new character I'm working on...it is aimed at Next-Gen, basically he is a player character, the polygon count sits at just over 14,000 triangles by the time modelling is done he will be approx 15,000 triangles...I will be adding some additional buckles (modelling)etc...plus I will be using NM's, spec and will also definitely be utilising JIStyles shader for this project....this is gonna be loads of fun...Oh...and I thought I'd name him Agent Rhodes...cos' I thought it suits him...and that it sounds kinda cool too...:)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/476/agentrhodeswip011zp.jpg

Close-up
http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/6725/agentrhodeswip021pd.jpg

Cheers all...

paul-banister
11-03-2005, 08:28 PM
nice poly flow,curious why the head has such dense geometry in comparison to the rest of the body though,looks like you could easily lose some loops and still keep a good sillhouette and controll for animation etc?.looking forward to next update.

eMPeck
11-03-2005, 09:35 PM
just wondering... Do You ever sleep?

I like arms geometry, it looks very realistic. I think something is wrong with overall proportions, but I can't point what is it, or maybe it just because he don't have belt... I don't know.

Anyway, he looks cool :thumbsup:

BurrowingDuck
11-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I always love to see your work, johnwoo. Looks like it's gonna be another fantastic model.

I've got no crits.

the_podman
11-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Nice. You're owning these forums, man. owning them... They should rename this forum to John Woo and company.

Nice mesh. Really like the shaping of those arms. Do you use any kind of artisan sculpt brushes to shape those? or is it a low poly first, then smoothed? Keeping everything nice and quad I see. Is that your new way of modeling now?

-pod

ArchangelTalon
11-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Shaping up to be another magic model by johnwoo ;)

Something about the thumbs bugs me, though. They seem to stick out too much and be too bulbous around the joining to the hand itself.

I also think his upper arms could do with being a wee bit longer, too.

Otherwise loving it :)

HellBoy
11-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Wow another great model from John Woo, this is going to be good

Por@szek
11-04-2005, 06:56 AM
I have new signature for U dude -> RoboLee :beer: .

Dude start very promising. Maybe U have some concept or something couse - don't be angry on me but I don't like the shape of the head. It reminds me abit of a head. I must agree with eMPeck, and probably it's the point. But I'm not sure, hoping Mindrot and Andy will know better where is the problem. Of course I could be in wrong and there will be no problem, it can be perespective or something.

Great job in the using poligons and modelling dude, like always. But here won;t be lolipops :cry: its not kind a morbid bastard.

Keep it up, I have eye on ya :D

mindrot
11-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Nice work so far Mr Lee... been a busy beaver eh? :D

SHEPEIRO
11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
another quality product from the house of woo.

agree with point about thumbs though.

keeganb
11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Ok Subscribing to this one straight away! :)

I'm delighted your next project is a human after seeing your prizefighter this ones gonna be great! It looks Res style agent dude which is cool cause i love those games!

I have a question, what is next gen specs, is 15k where its at?

No crits on this just for fashion sake his shoes are not cool for a slick agent guy haha! Oh and is he going to be bauld? Please give him some hair man it would be better and add alot more character!

Cant wait to see more!

Pieface
11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Wicked work woo!
I am a novice at this stuff but from what I can see this is great! I think the head is pretty normal on guys that shape as most body builders heads look weird in comparision to their expanded shoulders etc. Agree with the upper arms possibly being lengthened but personally I think the thumbs are cool.... maybe I have odd shaped thumbs then?
I thnk he has great expression already and a certain intimidation about him...like hes already telling a story with his shape!
I like it a lot!

RyokaX
11-04-2005, 06:12 PM
i like it. But will he have hair, because i think a bald guy is just too much of a cliché :p
but keep up the good work!

peanut
11-04-2005, 10:18 PM
i like it. But will he have hair, because i think a bald guy is just too much of a cliché :p

I thought guys with hair was the cliché

hanzo
11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
hey johnwoo great work on your latest model, I can't wait to see how this one will turn out ( minding your other work ) hehe

I do have one crit though, at the bottom of your characters right side pocket it's looking very low poly :cool: I mean with all the polies used everywhere else I'd think this would be a great place to use a few more.

the face looks American Indian, I don't know if you planned it but excellent outcome none the less :D

Stefander
11-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I am just as amazed as I was with the first shots of the Hideous... I take it these are unsmoothed pics? Because they have the quality of smoothed ones. These kind of things just make me want to jump up in the air, raise both my hands above my head and scream. Can't wait for the next update! :applause:

johnwoo
11-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Hello all...

free-willy: Thanks man...In regards to the head it was dense at the back purely cos' I still needed to optimise check the update tho' as I'm working on that still, but the face will remain dense as to retain an organic surface as best as possible while facial expressions are taking place...:)

eMPeck: HAHA...yep..I do...HAHA...About proportions tho'...I did a 2nd pass and lengthened the neck a bit also the arms and shrunk the hands a little aswell...also made his shoulders a little more broader..well the illusion is that...but in reality it's the modification I did to the shirt to help tighten it up...Cheers...

BurrowingDuck: Thanks so much for the encouraging words...I hope the fact of that I'm enjoying this is showing through the work...:)

pod: Hey man...Thanks!....HAHA...I hope ya not serious?!...HAHA...In regards to the arms cheers...but to answer your question tho'...nope..all 100% modelled and no Sub-D's/Smoothing...and yep...ditched triangles now for quads the editable poly tools are so quick and efficient and powerful that it makes modelling even more easier and more possible to do more complex tasks...I dig 3dsMax...HAHA...

ArchangelTalon: Thanks for the crit...tho' the thumbs have been tweaked a little as I worked a lot of time on these and tbh I am happy with them, but included it in the 2nd pass for this update also the arms were made a bit longer aswell while still retaining a realistic proportion.

HellBoy: Awesome!...thanks man...:thumbsup:

Por@szek: HAHA...Cheers dude...Yep..I'm working from a very, very rugh concept (imho not worth posting)...the head will have hair, it's just not modelled yet...:)

mindrot:...HAHA...I guess so...still keeping an eye on these forums for more of your work matey...totally dig the style of your characters...:)

SHEPEIRO: Cheers dude...the thumbs may get looked at again but you gotta remember tho'...it won't remain in the pose, and it's just a workflow thing for me...but while I model a character, I always imagine how it would deform, extent of rotation etc...and work towards a conclusion that would best fit the situation...hope that makes sense....

keeganb: Thanks man....appreciated!...HAHA....you are right on the money tbh...he is an FBI agent...If you've seen "heat" with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro...that is sort of what I'm aiming for...kinda influenced by...ya know...In regards to Next-Gen specs...I can't comment specifically what I'm working on...but let's just say 15k is not a worry...and I've heard Ps3 is more powerful than Xbox 360 so polygon counts could be more higher yet still...but this totally depends on the engine and type of game of course...:shrug:...The shoes ARE cool matey...HAHA.....Cheers...

Pieface: Thanks matey...You got it pretty much...his presence as a man of the law should be intimidating and is something I will improve upon when I start adding the textures....Cheers...

RyokaX: Yep...he'll have hair...it's just not modelled yet...The cliche' thing is case sensitive imho...

peanut: HAHA...:)

hanzo: Cool man....thanks...Yep...a few more polygons added...since I optimised the back of the head I had a few more to spare...YAY!...American Indian...cool..but nope he will be a caucasian male...

Wow!...thanks man...yep...this is unsmoothed..no Sub-D's at all...although I did do a test and it does Sub-D extremely well...:)...but tbh I'm not interested in that...this is 100% aimed at Next-Gen...But glad you like what ya see so far...appreciated..

Update:
http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/7364/agentrhodeswip031dh.jpg

WHW
11-07-2005, 08:31 AM
<Jumps onto Bandwagon...>

Hey Lee,

Looking good that man! And that holster... That's fecking HUGE! There'd better be some big-ass gun going in that, or an A-Team van or something equally OTT.

I'm curious about the strap dangling on his left leg, is that purely for secondary motion (I know you love doing that stuff)? And I agree with comments made about the shoulders - come on dude, you know that's not gonna deform - where's the spans from the armpit? :shrug:

Anyways, looks like you're right on track for another great model - maybe Front Page this time? :scream:

Stefander
11-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Hrm, didn't notice the armpits yet, I agree with WHW on that part =)

Also, another little comment, his ass looks a bit... flat in the wireframe. May just be perspective or something, but it kind of caught my eye (don't tell my girl I said that, though :D ). Looking awesome, as always, no real further comments =)

Cheers! :thumbsup:

johnwoo
11-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Hello all....

WHW: Cheers matey...Yep...the holster maybe a bit big...nothing a scaling down won't fix...but it's that size for the fact that the firearm is not modelled so better to scale down than to scale up imho....Yep...secondary motion will be added to the straps aswell with a few other areas, as for the shoulders it's not just topology that determines good deformation but also blending the weighting..this is why I know it'll be all good :)...with the armpits...the shirt is not skin tight...it's mean't to be a fair bit loose/baggy....as for frontpage we'll see...;)

Stefander: Thanks man...Yep...I think it may just be the perspective as the FOV maybe a bit deceiving?....:shrug:

Updates as soon as.....

johnwoo
12-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Hello all....

It's been a while...

Yep..lighting is temporary, still working on refining the colour, spec and NM's...and soon after that I'll be building the rig/weighting and applying the real-time skin shader (DirectX)..

Update..hope you guys like...

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1196/agentrhodeswip041wj.jpg

jfalconer
12-01-2005, 08:53 PM
like your previous ones, this one is turning out bloody awesome. Can we get a close-up on his face (and shoes) now? Those are some nice lookin shoes. Rhodes looks like he'd fit right in with the Raccoon city bunch. :bowdown: Great job on the jeans texture, and I love the poly flow on his forearms.

onelung
12-01-2005, 08:55 PM
looks really great man, only thing that bugs me is in the last render, maybe its the lighting and the angle, but the face looks a little like when people turn into warewolves, might just be the angle, anyway, lookin good, nice to see a human character from you.
-schu

WHW
12-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Lee,

Sweet as...! That NM looking absolutely fab, along with the choise of colours for the clothing. :thumbsup: Hair is really neat too, but that's to be expected from your previous works.

My only crits would be the slightly noisy jeans texture (hehe, he's got Levi's on) and those pork pie shoes are looking a little like platform shoes. Oh, and the pockets appear a little small, much too small for his hands - don't they usually widen to the seams at the side?

And I do hope you'll sort out that ear... It's like he's been digging a little too hard for treasures :argh:

Top work, man...

/w

HellBoy
12-01-2005, 09:07 PM
wow he looks so much different from the wire version

I like it

AdamAtomic
12-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Wow! Way different than I expected. I agree, he looks...evil or something. The strong points right now I think are the arms and hands (amazing!!), hair, and a lot of the jeans texture. I think the vest texture could use a lot of work still, and the clothing wrinkles look more like blobs or veins in a lot of places, rather than natural folds. Keep at it man!

orko60
12-01-2005, 10:02 PM
How did you do the hair? Is it planes with alpha'd hair texture on them? If so, I'd like to see a wireframe, if it's possible!

Looking great!

Chaduke
12-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Great looking model so far. I really like the way you paint your textures. This is exactly the kind of work I'd like to be doing once I learn the process a bit better.
I was wondering if you could elaborate on a few things. You model in 3DSMax; do you do your UV maps there as well? I'd love to see a shot of the UV map without the texture.
At that point do you paint it in Photoshop or use something like Deep Paint or ZBrush?
I'm also curious as to how you're approaching the Normal map. I'm familiar with importing the mesh into Zbrush then dividing and adding detail to generate the map, but I suppose there's other ways to go about it. One thing that kind interests me is the way UVs are layed out on the low poly mesh and the color map is painted before you work on normal and spec maps. I suppose you have to take an approach where you have to intentionally leave out specularity or depth detail in the color map. Do you or did find it difficult to transition to that approach?

the_podman
12-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Nice, John. Are you doing your skin textures directly in zbrush now? I just came back from a pixologic/Avid seminar in NYC demonstrating skin texturing techniques in Zbrush using a projection plane, along with the new Z mapper that just came out today.

Were you able to get those MoCap files you wanted from my server?

Nice job,
-Rod

BurrowingDuck
12-02-2005, 05:04 AM
Just as I had expected it looks fantastic! The jeans are especially well done.

The only thing I can say is his hair looks somewhat sparse in some places.

Can't wait to see him with the skin shader applied.

Chaduke
12-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Nice, John. Are you doing your skin textures directly in zbrush now? I just came back from a pixologic/Avid seminar in NYC demonstrating skin texturing techniques in Zbrush using a projection plane, along with the new Z mapper that just came out today.

Were you able to get those MoCap files you wanted from my server?

Nice job,
-Rod

Kris Kosta (Antropus) did a cool video tutorial similar to the technique you described using a 3D plane with a circular alpha and then loading different skin samples into it. Really cool stuff:

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=030094

johnwoo
12-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Hello all....

Firstly....thanks guys for the kind comments...:)

jfalconer: Cheers dude....yep.....in the next update I'll render out some close-ups for ya...glad ya like how it's progressing...:)

onelung: Thanks man...yep...I think the mouth and chin area could be further tweaked...definitely in the next update...:)

WHW: Y0!!1!....Cheers...In regards to the jeans, I'm not sure I agree tbh...these are jeans after all :shrug:...the pockets I'll definitely make a bit bigger and also make the soles on the shoes a bit thinner, but it would be subtle as I do like how they look at present...but I'll definitely try it out...cheers....

HellBoy: :thumbsup:

Adam Atomic: Thanks man...yep...the NM's on the jeans was more or less taken into being more general definition than anything, but ya crit definitely highlights that I need more specific detail in there...not a problem...

orko60: Yep...all alpha planes (layered)...still needs refining in the colour map...so I guess it will change a bit more for the next update...and thanks...appreciated...:)

Chaduke: Thanks dude....yep I used 3dsmax..yep all UVCoords are laid out in 3dsMax...I'll post a shot of the UVCoords in the next update (stay tuned :))...nope..just 3dsmax and photoshop...ZB is just used for NM generation....yep...I always paint the colour map 1st as I use that in ZB to sculpt to especially if ya need to place specific detail..this way ya don't leave yourself guessing where to sculpt...if that makes sense?...hopefully...Actually painting a flat colour map now is even simpler to create as all the lighting and shadowing comes from other maps...:)...oh and thanks btw for the link...I recognised that mesh from the 3d section...and what a kick ass tutorial...explained a lot...and definitely shows me there is so much depth to ZB...

Pod:...Hey!...Nope all the textures are still done in Photoshop..but zmapper looks kick ass!...damn I love ZB...can't live without it now...an essential tool...Oh..btw...I'll d/load those files after work..as I am at work right now...but thanks again man...much appreciated...Oh btw..sent ya a PM...also .fbx format is supported...:thumbsup:

BurrowingDuck: Cool...thanks dude....In regards to the hair not too sure what ya mean?...

Next update should be a lot sooner...stay tuned...Cheers all....

SHEPEIRO
12-02-2005, 02:28 PM
super good texturing, can qwite imagine how you get them so cleanly dirty. if you get what i mean.

mindrot
12-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Looks great so far John.

What resolution are you textures at (sorry, too lazy to search the thread :blush: ) ?

the rookie
12-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Nice ;) !! Man you keep getting more and more advanced on me, awaiting to see the JIstyles shader in use :D!! but looking good, the master of NM's (mine is coming soon, almost there :D!!)

PhilOsirus
12-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey nice work as always! I'm wondering why you avoided tris in non-deformable areas? The top of the shoes, the forearms, the top of the hand, top of the head, could have been optimized a lot. Is there a particular reason for this?

Anyway the only actual crit I have would be his shirt, I think it should be cleaner since he is an FBI agent, and his biceps seem a bit too large. Other than that nothing to say, and even that was somewhat nitpicking;)

robin
12-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Magnificent accomplishment!

I totally like the way you did the make over of the face. Didn't know it would turn out this great. Seeing the untextured version really speaks for itslef when compared to the textured one.

Turned terrific

Good kicking john :)

BakerCo
12-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Looking great as always!! quick question, are you going to do a rig and anim test like in your "hideous" creature thread? It was very cool to see the character you put in to it.

Lost...

TheRedemption
12-04-2005, 01:42 AM
wow man, some stellar work. i really like the texture on the jeans! keep it up dude, always enjoy your work! :thumbsup:

johnwoo
12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Hello all...

SHEPEIRO: Thanks man...Yep..I know what ya mean tho' about the clean dirty...heh...I use overlay and soft light a bit..nothing special really...:)

mindrot: Thanks man...basically the NM's consists of 2 x 1024 and 3 x 512...but as you know there are a lot of different maps now that support the colour map...but I could scale it down some if needed too...but I wanted high resolution to begin with as I find it's easier to scle down to than to scale up resolution...

the rookie: Yep...looking forward to using the skin shader, but it's in line and will be applied as soon as...Cool man...look forward to see what ya working on:thumbsup:

Phil: Thanks...I avoided triangulating in those areas simply by choice and to primarily export well into ZB, also non-deformable areas...hmm...that is becoming less and less as characters/creatures to push the tech more muscle jiggle/secondary motion I reckon will become more common as time goes on...but if possible checkout Fight Night Round 2 for e.g to see what I'm talking about..and also the Fight Night 3 on Ps3 also...HAHA...about the clean shirt...I'll keep it as it is since I feel happy enough that it fits in with his character tbh...he's not the clean cut FBI Agent after all...HAHA..

robin: Thank you very much for the kind words...I'm happy with how he's turning out too...:)

LostinFace: Cheers man...Yep..I'm building a rig tomorrow...but I'm no animator so podman is kindly supplying some mo-cap files for me...they are pretty kick ass...so yep...I am...:)

TheRedemption: Thanks dude!!...glad ya like....appreciated...:)

Ok..updates...Still refining some areas still but pretty much done at this stage..the rig will be built next then the DirectX shader (JIStyles) will be applied...anyhow...I hope ya guys dig the screens...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8409/agentrhodeswip05wire0lq.jpg

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/8126/agentrhodeswip05flatshaded3ft.jpg

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/3025/agentrhodeswip05render4fc.jpg

Close-up of face for JFalconer...:)
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4711/agentrhodeswip05facecloseup1sl.jpg

WAcky
12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
:eek:

speechless

SHEPEIRO
12-07-2005, 03:23 PM
abso brill

looks like a cheesy character though, thinks hes cool and hard, but actually listens to enya when noones looking. and his mum still buys all his clothes

WHW
12-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Come on, Mr Lee... Finish him already! You're way past the 30 days per model I expect of you these days ;)

But yeah, it's like kneeing-in-the-groin fanstatic, though I'm still concerned about the ear. It's possibly that the insides are pushed so far in that it appears like a round hole, than the fleshy cartilidge of the ear it should be. Minor niggle - nice lipstick :P

But yeah, wouldn't be out of place in something like... Condemned? :thumbsup:

>Book 'im, Dano!
>Oi Son, you're nicked!

SHEPEIRO
12-07-2005, 03:51 PM
hes the kind of character that you want to kill, possibly like a an evil henchmans evils side kick,

he used to protect the people but now hes bad to the bone (well thinks he is), and really annoying to boot, a bit like that police man in GTA (Samuals partner). maybe a scene setup with him taking a back hander might be cool.

PhilOsirus
12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
I see what you mean about the quads, I'll keep that in mind!

I have two crits tho. I think the mouth/lips are too low there is a lot of space between the nose and the upper lip at the moment. Also, the cuffs seem a bit too big, like you could pull your hand out of them if wanted to.

That's all! Can't wait to see him posed.

HellBoy
12-07-2005, 06:09 PM
wow johnwoo, just wow :bowdown:

I struggle to unwrap objects under 300tris, I dunno how u do it man, well done

any plans of doing any tutorial

very good keep it up :thumbsup:

captainboom
12-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Wow:eek:

CaptainBoom

mindrot
12-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Could possibly lose a few polys here and there. The lips at the moment look too painted on.

Otherwise looks really good John. I really just amaised at the rate you pump these guys out :thumbsup:

TheRedemption
12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
is that a wallet in his back pocket? or is it just me?

Extase
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM
wow looks very good, but he definatly needs a bigger gun :twisted: . a shotgun or something that would fit perfectly

mayanoob
12-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Solid work, I like you attention to detail (handcuffs and FBI card) I'm not over carried away with the jacket texture though :shrug: don't know why

Face and hair are amazing :D

All in all this is some very good work, well done!

Por@szek
12-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Now I see this, and U made here really cool job dude.

I love the zbrushing u made in here its the best side of it, of course the rest is also awesome.

Guy looks like gim lover ;)

Cheers mate.

johnwoo
12-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Hello all...

Sorry if it's been awhile since the last update...I've been concentrating on finishing him before I finish up for Xmas...

WAcky: Cheers...:)

SHEPEIRO: HAHA....erm...interesting character profile...:)

WHW: HAHA....It's done!!..it's done!...yeah...not much free time unfortunately, but I do what I can in the spare time given...Yep...the ear is a bit tricky to light without throwing off the rest of the character, but as ya know...I'm no lighting specialist..HAHA...Thanks again matey...:)

Phil "Osirus": Thanks...Yep...those crits have been addressed..hope ya dig...:)

HellBoy: Cheers man...I'm seriously not good at documenting tutorials, I'm far better at answering questions...I think...LOL...

captainboom: Cheers dude...appreciated...

mindrot: Thanks matey...In regards to the polygon count, I personally feel happy with the polygon distribution :)...Cheers, but if ya think I'm quick, then that's a bonus I guess, but I'm always wanting to reach a higher level of quality to my work...as there is always room for improvement...ya know...:wip:

TheRedemption: Yep...ya right..well sort of...wanted tovisualise contents in his back pocket to avoid it being flat to some extent, but without going overboard...

Extase: Thanks man...Yep...a secondary weapon would've been good...I only planned for a handgun...should plan more I guess...HAHA...

mayanoob: Cheers man...the bulletproof vest is not as descriptive as I'd thought, I was working with some ref, it did start out as being a lot lighter, but felt there was too much information, so i made it darker so the NM and spec would take over and describe the definition more as he moved...Thanks again...

Por@szek: Thanks matey...appreciated...glad ya dig the NM's...I tried as a test before I started the weighting, a version with slimmer arms and felt it was really not fitting, and this amount of muscle/bulk worked better...

Cheers all...

quick preview image (final in finished 3D section)...when it's active I could do with some support guys :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=303637 Finished section...

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/7194/agentrhodespreview2il.jpg

I got an avi of a deformation test, using some VERY raw mo-cap data...I'll upload a new version asap...

mindrot
12-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Looks great :thumbsup:

I'll look for it in the finished section.:wavey:

b1ll
12-20-2005, 07:56 PM
har har I dig dude.
You seem to have more control of your style on this one. Nice work dudeee

Makes me want to do a Hero character next. acctualy, I started concepting last night, Yus :)

GOOD WORK!

ben
ben@benregimbal.com

Arkadius
12-20-2005, 10:32 PM
hej
Awsome pice - hope it will go on a front page, coz it deserve it :)

Did you use a photos for your texturing job? Coz it's so detailed... Could we see the flats please please please? :D

I realy dig you character and can't wait to see next - there are just soo good :)

WHW
12-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Nice. Already replied to the Finished Art thread.

johnwoo
12-21-2005, 07:49 AM
:) Hello all....

1st off thanks guys for ya support over in the finished 3d section...genuinely appreciated...:)

mindrot: Cool...and thanks matey...hope ya like...

b1ll: That's great!...cheers b1ll, yep..I had a blast working on this character, everything more or less flowed..ya know...Cool...I'm intrigued by what ya gonna preview soon now...HAHA...can't wait...thank you...:)

Arkadius: Thank you man...a frontpage would be fantastic tbh...photo ref was used as a starting point, then heavily worked in to get the look I want :)...as for the next...new year...new character....:)

WHW: Cheers matey...I removed the deformation test avi as it was severely compressed by a public server, which looks really bad in regards to compression and length to what was intended...I'll as soon as I can...

CG-Gordon
12-21-2005, 08:36 AM
This turned out great overall Johnwoo, I like your style and the high consistency throughout all your character models. A minor thing I might have changed would have been the size of the shoes, however I think they suit the character overall and add to the style. Good luck in the finished thread.

johnwoo
12-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Thank you Mr Gordon...appreciated...:thumbsup:

E D G E C R A F T
12-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Message Deleted By User

the rookie
12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Dope texture work man :D!! Once again dope work!!

Stefander
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey man, great work on this one! It, again, looks absolutely stunning, and yet again, thanks for destroying my self-confidence ;)

johnwoo
12-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Hello all....

EDGECRAFT: Hey SJ!...good to see ya again matey!!...and thanks again for ya comments...appreciated:)

the rookie: Thanks dude!...glad ya like...:)

Stefander: Dude...ya too kind...but..damn...it's appreciated..thank you :)...

Ok...last post on this thread for this year...but....here's an avi of the VERY raw mo-cap data I mentioned earlier...It's not the best but it definitely shows off the deformation I intended...

And....Have a Merry Xmas and New Year everyone!!...

p.s. kudos to WHW for kindly hosting it for me ...Thanks buddy :thumbsup:...btw...I'm sure WHW will let ya all know when it's uploaded...

Clickhere (http://whwan.com/JohnWoo/AgentR_Deformation_test_01.avi)

WHW
12-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Video is now up - sorry it took so long, but with the end of work Xmas celebrations, things just got a bit carried away :blush:

Feel free to download away and Merry Xmas to you too!

katzeimsack
12-24-2005, 11:00 AM
this char has some small issues, which immo destroy the overall impression.

http://www.sro.at/bildupload/images/besser.jpg

my "fixes" are on the left side.

immo there is a lack of hard edges, everything is soft. No jeans would look like that :(
There a so many small details which destroy the overall shape of the normalmap .
An other thing that bothers me is the lack of contrast on the texture, some highlights would help the character, atmo there are to many grey things..

there is too much yellow in the skintone , looks like a dead man.
Some red areas would be fine (nose, cheeks,ears)

The hair has the same problem, there is no contrast :(

same with the face..

just some things that bother me an might help you ...

still a great char :)

senceris
12-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I love this, you have done a great job in modelling and texturing this character, I especially love his face he's very handsome.:love: I love the fact he is not the typical FBI agent. :)

antodonnell
12-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Heh , Been following this for a bit, great and inspirational work as always. It is nuts how fast you produce these models , takes me a good bit longer. Keep it up.

Do you use any photo ref on in the creation of the textures ?

johnwoo
01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Hello all...

katzeimsack: Thanks for the detailed critique...I can see ya point tho' but this was a concious decision on my part NOT to bake in light/shadow information into the colour maps as I wanted all that particular information handled by the NM's and spec maps, but imho I feel it's the lighting that may not be to ya liking, especially as I feel it could be improved, cos' I personally feel for Next-Gen lighting is pretty much key and will make the content look as great/realistic/stylised and will show off the shaders and materials to their best, Ideally I would've liked to have setup HDR Imaging, but feel it's a whole new category, and something I won't concentrate on at present, cos' I'm pretty much a modeller/texture artist....but thanks all the same man...cos' this highlights to me that although I won't utilise HDRImaging just yet I will certainly trying improve my lighting knowledge...:wip:

senceris: Many thanks!

nath devlin: Cheers dude...glad ya like..and it's good to hear about the speed comment, I'm quite comfortable with my workflow so far, and I am always looking to improve it aswell...but in reality I have approx 3hrs most evenings to dedicate to personal work, if I was creating this character in a studio environment it would've been done a long, long time ago...:argh:...but all the same I'm utilising the time as best as I can...so that is why I'm glad and appreciative to get good feedback :)

Oh....and Happy New Year to everyone...:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.