PDA

View Full Version : No Glow?

Hettinger
11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Glow isn't working in my file. If I open a new scene and make a glowing material, it works fine. If I try to make a glowing material in this scene though, it won't work.

In my render settings "Enable Post Effects" is checked, and "Object Glow" is checked. I don't know where else it could be turned off.

I've also tried creating a new scene and merging the old one - same result - no glow.

Any help would be appreciated!

AkaKico
11-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Do you have a file you could post? Hard to say without looking at it. Are you looking at the glow through a transparent material? That will cancel out a glow I think.

Jack Hammer
11-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Certain post render effects will cancel each other out when used together

Hettinger
11-03-2005, 05:18 PM
That was it... I was looking through a transparent object (I have an earth with an earth layer and a cloud layer) is there a way around that? That totally sucks! If I remove my cloud layer it works fine.

Hettinger
11-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Well I'm just making two separate renders now and I'll comp them in AE. That's kinda weak! Do other 3d programs do that?

AkaKico
11-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure of a why to get around it with c4d. Glad my guess was right about transparency. I had some problems a few years back with it. Took me forever what was messing up the glow by myself :)

LucentDreams
11-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Well I'm just making two separate renders now and I'll comp them in AE. That's kinda weak! Do other 3d programs do that?

with that specific method of glow yes other aps will do it (like mayas) AR has a much mroe advanced glow that wills til sufferfrom multiplepost effect issues but shoudl handle transparency (I think, have'nt touched it in ages)

smurfted
11-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Don't get me wrong i love c4d and it's my application of choice. Though little faults like that are what leaves it behind other big apps..

Considering how good the program is at so many complicated things it seems sad that they still haven't fixed something that is actually quite simple and would leave life a lot easier and better looking (i use the glow effect a lot you see)..

LucentDreams
11-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Don't get me wrong i love c4d and it's my application of choice. Though little faults like that are what leaves it behind other big apps..

Considering how good the program is at so many complicated things it seems sad that they still haven't fixed something that is actually quite simple and would leave life a lot easier and better looking (i use the glow effect a lot you see)..

I don't know what you mean in this case, this is how max and maya both work as well (not sure about XSI) its a simple fact, the glow is put on AFTER the image is rendered, and thus doesn't respect raytracing. And, cinema does have another glow, with AR, that handles it much better. This is hardly an area where all the others do it better.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2005, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.