PDA

View Full Version : Normalmapped Props

UnAlternate
11-03-2005, 04:29 PM
<EDIT2>

this one actually took two days instead of one, so i need to speed up. might not count as a prop, but what the heck. :)

http://www.jsalvador.net/portfolio_content/door_final_1.jpg

</EDIT2>

<EDIT>

i'll just put the newest ones up here. today is oil drum day:

http://www.jsalvador.net/portfolio_content/oil_drum_final_1.jpg

http://www.jsalvador.net/portfolio_content/oil_drum_final_2.jpg

</EDIT>

this really does not deserve a thread of its now as it is, but i'm planning to do a small collection of props during the upcoming weeks, so.. i thought i might as well put them all together in here. first up: the box! :P

http://www.jsalvador.net/portfolio_content/crate_final_1.jpg

http://www.jsalvador.net/portfolio_content/crate_final_2.jpg

DingBat99999
11-03-2005, 04:40 PM
It's called a crate, dammit. Please show some respect for an ancient and time honored game artifact. :)

UnAlternate
11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
nah.. cut me some slack, i'm foreign. :P

bigbad
11-03-2005, 04:50 PM
nah.. cut me some slack, i'm foreign. :P

I thought you were swedish?? :D

Looking sweet as always. Dont know if i can call it a critique but it looks too much Doom 3. Thats good right?!?

AdamAtomic
11-03-2005, 04:59 PM
It should be spelled "cannon" :) looks nice! a little generic but the finish on the metal surfaces looks very good.

UnAlternate
11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
damn, that's embarrasing. i guess i'll have to blame my schools lousy keyboard, ey? ; _ ;

SammyB
11-04-2005, 02:39 AM
It's umm.. really shiny.

Gordon Moran
11-04-2005, 06:07 AM
No crates. Please. No crates... Nice texturing, but, it's a crate. Maybe I have something against crates, I don't really know. There's just something so, cubic about them...

UnAlternate
11-04-2005, 08:35 AM
i hate crates too. i made it as therapy. face your fears and blah. :P

Ivars
11-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I think it's a beautiful crate!

mindrot
11-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Good work.

It 'does' deserve a thread of its own :p

makkE
11-04-2005, 11:16 AM
A very nice crate :) I have nothing against them at all, they just must be used with caution :) How about a barrel next? ;D

UnAlternate
11-04-2005, 04:34 PM
lol at barrel. :) how will an oil drum do? ;P

hanzo
11-04-2005, 04:55 PM
This is very simple, but great use of normal maps, very convincing props. You make each one in just a day then?

I tag this thread ;)

UnAlternate
11-04-2005, 04:58 PM
yup, one day. tnx for the compliment. :)

mindrot
11-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Great work on the drum to :cool:

UnAlternate
11-10-2005, 01:07 PM
door posted. check page 1. :)

vrapp
11-10-2005, 02:08 PM
That's a disturbingly large can of lube... great work though. :D

WHW
11-10-2005, 04:11 PM
OMG! It's a thread dedicated to the worship and appraisal of all this crate-like. All hail the crate - it's 6 sides of pure normalised beauty.

On a side note, UnAlternate, your website doesn't appear to work. It says it's forbidden. :shrug:

itsallgoode9
11-10-2005, 04:34 PM
your barrels look like a soup can without a label. other than that everything looks pretty good.

dbates
11-10-2005, 08:54 PM
this one actually took two days instead of one, so i need to speed up. might not count as a prop, but what the heck. :)

http://tinypic.com/fk7ll0

Nice thread! That gate looks very un-cared-for. . . who does the janitorial work in Doom, anyway? Fire that guy!

Anyways, I like your work. I would be afraid to touch the barrel or the gate without heavy work gloves on.

AdamAtomic
11-10-2005, 10:05 PM
These are looking great - again, not too high on the originality scale, but damned if the quality isn't top-notch, very nice work!

Brain Trepaning
11-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Fear the crates!

I used to work for a company making steel oil drums. The only time we put that many rolling hoops in the drums were when they were stress tests or we were screwing around. Too many rolling hoops close together puts lots of stress on the weld. Most got two hoops, but heavy 16 gauge drums for military use would get 3. Maybe make the top sink into the side part deeper, they are too flush. The side/top join of a drum usually had at least a 3/4" flange edge. Make a welding seam from top to bottom on the side somewhere in the texture, for added realism. The barrel is a flat sheet of steel rolled, then welded, then the top and bottom flanged, the rolling hoops stretched into the side, and a top and bottom folded into that flanged edge, then painted. Voila, a steel oil drum! (I saw a steel drum from the late 1800's or early 1900's, and the side was nailed together, the nails right smack up tight against one another.)

UnAlternate
11-11-2005, 10:35 AM
thanks guys. you're too kind. :)

> vidar: best before mars 1623. ;P

> WHW: i'm reworking it atm. will be up again before christmas. :)

> trepaning: wow, you really know your oil drums dude! :D thanks for sharing. now my next one will beat all competition. ;)

Brain Trepaning
11-11-2005, 06:42 PM
If you want the final touch for total realism, you need bungholes in the top. A steel oil drum has a 3/4" and a 2" bunghole for pouring or putting pumps into or whatever. These are bungholes shown on plastic drums:
http://www.gwcontainers.com/Prod_pht/poly.jpg

A steel drum needs some way for the contents to get in and out. Sometimes the contents are filled and emptied via the bunghole (haha I love writing that), other times (like if storing honey) the drum will have an entire top that lifts off, and those are usualy kept on with a chime hoop and a bolt as in this image:
http://www.czinkotastudios.com/images/jpegs/misc/OIL_DRUM.jpg

There is one last heavy duty version, and those would have a bunghole-style top, plus solid (no bolt) chime hoops squeezed onto the top and bottom seams as heavy duty reinforcement. Those drums are designed to fall from a height while filled with "stuff". They are also used for storing PCB's and other dangerous goods for many many many years.

Also, the bottom of an oil drum will have information embossed in the center of it. Our's would have the gauge of steel, the year, some coded info regarding the purchaser/owner of the drums, etc. Typcally three or four lines of a few letters and numbers and spaces would look good.

20 gauge steel drums are light weight; 16 gauge are heavy duty. Most were 18 gauge. When empty, they were stacked three high. It was always great fun stacking the third row of straight-out-of-a-500-degree-oven freshly-painted 16-gauge plus top and bottom chime hoop oil drums.

And that just about sums it up!

BTW, I worked for one of the two companies the images above are linked from. The other image I have no affiliation with except for a Google search result.

orko60
11-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Quick suggestion -

On your crate, spell "canon" correctly :)

"Cannon"

Sorry, I'm a nerd. These look awesome, by the way!

-Zack

Dunder
11-11-2005, 10:14 PM
You have such beautiful hair mr.

The props seems ok to...

Dargon
11-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Quick suggestion -

On your crate, spell "canon" correctly :)

"Cannon"

Sorry, I'm a nerd. These look awesome, by the way!

-Zack

It's a crate of ammo for a 50mm camera.

orko60
11-11-2005, 10:45 PM
HAHA! Sounds like a plausible explaination.

AdamAtomic
11-12-2005, 06:53 AM
It should be spelled "cannon" :) looks nice! a little generic but the finish on the metal surfaces looks very good.

I hate to quote myself but he already knows about that one...

Snefer
11-12-2005, 10:13 AM
I think these props looks awesome. Did you use offset on yuor UVmap for the crates? I'm having trouble with mirrored textures and normalmap. I've heard you can just offset the other sides one tile to the side, but does that work ingame or only in the 3dapplication?

Gordon Moran
11-12-2005, 06:02 PM
LOL, "bungholes"! Yeah, I think most models could use a few extra bungholes. Didn't know that was an actual word! Anyways... When I saw the oil drums AND crates, I was a bit concerned, but that door looks awsome. It'd be great if you could post your textures and high res models (or are you using converted bump maps for your normal maps?). Keep up the good work!

InfernalMistress
07-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Good work dude! keep it up.

kakikukeko
07-30-2006, 09:38 AM
very good texturing skills! I really enjoyed the contrasts you put in, value, specular and color, perfect for me :) good job! wanna see more ;)

Jekkle
07-30-2006, 10:26 AM
I've never in my life seen a 3d toxic barrell that i have found beautiful, until the day i found this thread :D the texturing on all your props is unreal, you really dig deep into the the mechanics of things, loving it

Legopirate
07-30-2006, 11:04 AM
this stuff is great, i also checked out your tank and other works.
your style it's pretty and gritty and I like it alot. Keep up the great work i look forward to seeing more from you.

UnAlternate
07-30-2006, 05:17 PM
lol, who bumped this old thread? :bounce: niiilo :)

anyway, thank you all.. very kind words here. much appreciated!

> kakikukeko: inspiring portfolio! still really diggin' your stupimon! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2006, 05:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.