PDA

View Full Version : UV Map, switcher

aforetaste
11-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Anyone know of a way to create a UV map switcher in Messiah that can allow for multiple face paintings (ie. different mouth/eye positions) to be keyframed and switched with ease?

I'm thinking of something like this guy's demo reel shows (near the :40 sec mark)
http://www.davidelasala.com/video/d...owreel_2005.mpg (http://www.davidelasala.com/video/davidelasala_showreel_2005.mpg)

Thanks in advance.

aforetaste
11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Is it an issue of using the all powerful armatures?

I could imagine that you could set up an armature for each, say for example, phenom of the mouth. You could even set up custom icons of each phenom linking them to the armatures.

But then what?

Clickable armatures that trigger an expression (on and off) for a texture map.
Is that possible?

What expression?
Any examples??

Parsec3d
11-03-2005, 11:09 PM
well more than a uv switcher, could be easier to have a imagemap switcher to have a
keyframeble sequence of images,, maybe like having a fake image than more than an image is a pointer to the selected value on the image picker of the current key.

Parsec3d
11-03-2005, 11:10 PM
or you could just use magppie to create an image sequence

aforetaste
11-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks Parsec3d.

But I'm still not quite getting you.
If I have an image sequence how would I jump around to the correct image at the correct time? And how would I key frame that?

Would there be a way to create a bit of a point-and-click armature set to trigger what image on exactly what keyframe?

aforetaste
11-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Just looked at Magpie -- image sequence makes sense now.

But there's gotta be a way to do it in Messiah, no?

Layer01
11-03-2005, 11:28 PM
i could be completely wrong, but isnt this sort of similar to what taron did with his neckling?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=187770

check the zbrush central site too for more info on it..and somewhere you can get the scnene file and a video tute where he sets it up.

aforetaste
11-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks Layer 01.

Looks like that could be an answer,... though a painful one.
One would think that a simple expression tied to a armature button would solve this.
But what expression???

Parsec3d
11-04-2005, 12:30 AM
magppie is a cool app,, for other one no not an image sequence but a sequence of images
all linked to a new kind of variable that acts like an image map assigner + key + value..

other way would be a new gradient that uses images instead of color values, or
this might be a way to drive the first one mmm,,,,

Parsec3d
11-04-2005, 12:55 AM
or how about a ussing a bone as an on screen dial selector ,, mmmmmm

aforetaste
11-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Not to get off track (since it's really about the same topic)...
But can Magpie output 2d files (image sequences/video) that could then be sync'ed with the audio and texture mapped onto a Messiah model?

Is that my best solution??

Parsec3d
11-04-2005, 10:17 PM
well is more like you define frames for basic sounds and then let the prog make all the
sequence for your wav file ,, or manually with the wav at view do it by hand or
a mix of both ,, and at the end output your sequence with perfect sync

best solution ?? well ,, hard to tell, different from what the guy is doing on his reel but this is a proved one that works for this and many other things, but again different..

aforetaste
11-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks Parsec3d,

Your info has been quite useful.

From my recent research, Magpie can indeed export 2D image sequences with sync'd audio.

But can you animate a texture map with UV coords. over an object in Messiah?
In the docs it only refers to still images that can be texture mapped. Is that so?

Can't you import an image sequence or video file and NOT only project it onto the texture/skin of the model but also do it with the precision available with a UV map?

Thanks in advance.

Parsec3d
11-06-2005, 01:50 AM
???

now you lost me on that ,, you can map a clip in the same way you can map an image..

can't you ?

aforetaste
11-06-2005, 02:27 AM
I'm going into the materials tab... adding a texture map shader, loading an image (which only gives me the option to load still images, not video clips nor image sequences) then choosing UV map.

Is there another way to do this with a video file or image sequence?

aforetaste
11-06-2005, 02:49 AM
All I'm looking to do is to animate the UV map with a video file (image sequence).

I can't find any way to do that.

Parsec3d
11-06-2005, 04:36 AM
Ok from the docs, I typed sequence and selected Texture Block:

Image (pulldown): Load your images here and choose which image you want to use. The one on the left is for the actual image, and the one on the right is for a separate alpha image, if you want one. The pulldowns have several functions:

Load Images - Load single or multi-selected images. Note: For image sequences you only need to load the first one. To set it as a sequence, you must go to the Image Manager (interface_imagemanager.htm) on the Play tab.

Then on the- Image manager :

Image Sequence: Turn this on if the image you are loading is part of a sequence and you want to use that sequence instead of only the image you loaded

Hope this helps.

aforetaste
11-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Parsec3d,

I am actually aware of pulling in image sequences (though I always appreciate your step by step instructions!! Thank you!).

But, I simply can't get it to show anything other than the 1st frame--yes, with the image sequense button in the image manager selected--and rendered on multiple frames (with large jumps in between).

Is this a bug/incompatability with my computer?
PC, P4, 1gb ram, Nvidea Geforce 6600

Am I forgetting to push another button??

aforetaste
11-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Okay, okay...

I'M the idiot.

I never realized that with an image sequence YOU had to put in the amount of frames. For some reason I thought it did that for you.

Well... needless to say, it's working now.

Thanks Parsec3d, for your patience and diligence.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2005, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.