PDA

View Full Version : How to use HRDI images in Max5

clam_mechanic
11-17-2002, 01:03 PM
can anybody give me an in depth solution on how to use hdri in max's 5 native renderer?
i heard you have to convert the images to floating point tiff but how do you do that? hdr shop? and once you do how do you implement that into your scene?
thanks so much in advance...
Sam

clam_mechanic
11-18-2002, 01:04 PM
I am begging to know...
pretty please?
cant find it in the help at all..............
PLEASE
Sam

roguenroll
11-18-2002, 04:55 PM
I'm just getting into Max, but what I've read, it'll have to be through a render software, brazil or whats that other one, render....something.

Rogue

clam_mechanic
11-20-2002, 01:19 PM
final render?
i know that max5 supports it and is able to do fresh out the box, but i just cant figure it out............
thanx
sam

roguenroll
11-20-2002, 10:03 PM
I'm using 4.2 now, but if 5 has good HDRI support I think
I will upgrade sooner.

Let me see if theres any info out there on this.

R

papillon
11-20-2002, 10:11 PM
you have to convert them to floating point tiff (with hdr shop) and then create a skylight in your scene and put the map in its map slot. (the map has to be in spherical environment proyection, i think)

roguenroll
11-20-2002, 10:17 PM
beat me to it. found this article:

High Dynamic Range Imagery (better known as HDRI) is supported in floating point TIF format. So if you have collected a bunch of images in HDR format, you will have to find a way to convert them to floating point TIF format. HDRI is the most common method to do what is known as Image-Based Lighting, where the environment map, for example, embeds color and light intensity and can be used as a light source for your scene. You can use these rich pixel files in the new Sky Light that 3ds max 5 offers. For more information on HDRI, go to http://www.debevec.org.

get HDRshop to do the converting, I use this for Lightwave alot.

Rogue

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.