PDA

View Full Version : a few bones to pick

Layer01
11-03-2005, 04:23 AM
i'm just playing around with a character atm and his hands use armatures (same as joe's) for the fingers. but i noticed that when you select an armature you can't see the key your creating in the dope master or the graph editor, making it insanly hard to understand what's going on. at least i'm finding it hard atm.
Only way to make sense of the hand movements is to go into the tree and select the finger bones...which sort of beats the point of armatures doesnt it?
what are the workarounds for this? how do people deal with this sort of things currently?

secondly in the timeline it would be nice if when you dragged the yellow time marker to one side or another of the timeline it would then drag the timeline in that direction. so you dont have to move bar, stop. navigate the timeline so you can see more of it. move bar. repeat. instead it would all be in one motion.

SpikeWorx
11-03-2005, 06:50 AM
what are the workarounds for this? how do people deal with this sort of things currently?

I almost never use the 'drag handle' behavior, because of that and the edit sphere, which doesnīt show up.
I use 'controller select' instead, but itīs a pity that 'animate immediate' doesnīt work with armatures.

DMack
11-03-2005, 08:08 AM
......and you can choose the specific channel.Holding down the alt key and dragging in the graph editor pans the graph view - works well IMO. If the graph automatically moves it could get frustrating in all sorts of ways, for example, when tweaking keys, you want the yellow marker to just keep playing WHILST you concentrate on a particular key, with anauto move, that key would whip off screen when the yellow marker approached an edge....ooooeerrrrr makes me shudder!

Layer01
11-03-2005, 09:07 AM
......and you can choose the specific channel.Holding down the alt key and dragging in the graph editor pans the graph view - works well IMO. If the graph automatically moves it could get frustrating in all sorts of ways, for example, when tweaking keys, you want the yellow marker to just keep playing WHILST you concentrate on a particular key, with anauto move, that key would whip off screen when the yellow marker approached an edge....ooooeerrrrr makes me shudder!

but this could easily be over come by only having it move the view when the user was moving it. as your never goingt to be fixing a key and moving (with the mouse) the marker at the same time. and the time this would save is a far greater benifit than the few times it could hinder imho. which is why most apps have this feature. maybe to keep everyone happy it could be an option that could be turned on or off.

DMack
11-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Good point. I think with ALL these interface preferences, they need to be customizable so that everyone is kept happy......

It looks like we're in for a new version very soon, from what Taron was saying......I must say I am genuinely excited, especially as PMG have a habit of NOT releasing versions that are buggy!

maks
11-03-2005, 10:41 AM
As for the armature behaviour, you can combine a controller drag action and a controller select action - the only shortcome of this is, that it won't/can't automatically select the channels the drag action is set to.

As for the graph centering, you have several option for that when you right click the "Lock Graph" buttons on the top right of the graph editor. E.g. the "Current Frame" option will always center the graph to, well, the current frame when the buttons are active :)

Hope this helps.

Layer01
11-03-2005, 01:02 PM
As for the armature behaviour, you can combine a controller drag action and a controller select action - the only shortcome of this is, that it won't/can't automatically select the channels the drag action is set to.

how would i set about doing this, i mean i thought an armature could only be either or, but not both?
Is this how you set up your rigs? or do you have a method to work around not being able to see the keys?

As for the graph centering, you have several option for that when you right click the "Lock Graph" buttons on the top right of the graph editor. E.g. the "Current Frame" option will always center the graph to, well, the current frame when the buttons are active :)

Hope this helps.

thanks that helps a lot :thumbsup:

DMack
11-03-2005, 02:01 PM
When you add an armature, you can get it to do all sortts of things at once. I normally get it to select the controller, then select a channel and lastly do a drag thing. As Maks says though, it won't automatically select the correct channel, so if your armature controls two channels, then it is let down slightly. I tend to get it to select the channel that is most likely to be changed (twist neck on heading rather than pitch for example). Remember you are not limited to one action on an armature. I also get it to alter the item list sometimes (especially on a master/visibility armature). Go play some :thumbsup: - you'll be rather pleased! With one or two tweaks, it would be even better....but that's just me being greedy! :)

maks
11-03-2005, 05:03 PM
And don't forget that you can write your own armature actions if you're into scripting - very powerful! :)

SpikeWorx
11-03-2005, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the tip. I forgot that this is possible:thumbsup: .

Armatures need some cleaning up here and there (I hope pmg is aware of that), but in general, itīs a great way to build your own control interface.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.