PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate to Vanilla?

fiveshorts
11-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm designing two beverage packages (2D/3D) for a retail client one is for chocolate milk; one for vanilla milk (bear with me...) I was using two 'pour' images one for each of the 'flavors' but now the client likes the chocolate milk 'splash' of liquid into a glass so much (image attached), they want the EXACT SAME splash for the vanilla version. So, my brief is to somehow make the regular milk believabley vanilla-looking, in Photoshop. Does anyone have any good ideas? I've tried the various change color/replace color options, but nothing is working... I'm sure there's some wickedly clever way to do this...?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

halo
11-02-2005, 07:51 PM
lots of colour adjustment layers, 16 bit mode and masking...not easy by any stretch of the imagination...food is a bitch, so many subtletie, just spent the last week with chocolate samples all over the studio driving us nutts with the smell...you have my sympathy

JamesMK
11-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Interesting!

I gave it a shot... getting lots of artifacts since the source here is JPG compressed... but assuming that you have access to the full quality (preferably 16 bit as pointed out by halo) you could get rather close by doing this:

- Convert to LAB mode
- Invert the A and B channels individually (but leave the lightness channel untouched)
- Do some level adjustments to up the brightness
- You now have bright blue goop
- Make hue/saturation tweaks until it goes yellow-ish
- Decrease saturation until it looks OK
- Make further level adjustments as needed

After a five minute tweak, I've ended up with something closer to white paint than milk, but I'm sure you can go all the way if you spend some more time on it.

fiveshorts
11-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Halo and James, thank you both for your speedy replies...

I tried out the LAB conversion technique and it's pretty good, considering. Obviously this is tall order, given the darkness of the original, but the end result is acceptable, at least for client approval. I'm working with a reasonably hi-res image, but it's royalty free and certainly not 16bit, sadly. If the client really wants this, we will have to shoot something new and go to town on a full gamut equivalent,

Meanwhile, thanks so much for helping me solve this :-)

chesterjoe
11-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Is there any chance of getting that picture in raw format or come kind of hdr like format? how was it shot? some Pro digital cameras have .raw or even some hdr kind of output. If you're lucky and can get some higher dynamic range image it would be easier to get a color change that tough since you have more data to manipulate and don't get nasty "solarize" kind of looks when pushing things.

The best way I can imagine of manipulating such an image is using the Image/Adjustments/gradient map because it is like changing the color with other methods but you have the added feature of changing specific luma ranges with gradient style colors so you can make the darker zones some kind of brownish shade and the lighter zones cream /yellowish white, and get your mid tones to look like light yellow ( with a bit of red) for example. but anyway with standard low dynamic range images ( jpg,tga,tiff,etc) It will not be easy and you'll propably need to create several layers with diferent transfer modes and transparency. So if you get a raw or hdr image of some sort you'll have a better start.

Hope I could help more...

fiveshorts
11-02-2005, 08:33 PM
It's just an 8bit, royalty-free, RGB JPG image from iStockPhoto.com...
If we go ahead, the client needs to commission a proper shoot.

I'm going to try the Gradient Map technique as well.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Licanin
11-02-2005, 10:51 PM
This is what I got:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/Licanin2/Drop.jpg

Convert to Lab as James MK said. Then, with selective color, hue saturation tweak it. Touch up what looks wrong.

fiveshorts
11-02-2005, 11:45 PM
...and I shall try that too. Many thanks. :-)

halo
11-03-2005, 12:02 AM
although the source may not be 16 bit, jumping to 16 bit still will help the file maintain as much integrity as possible when adjusting, especially on subtle fades and colour retouching...16 bit also helps fades band less before going to 8 bit cymk

perhaps this would be a good little competition for this area of the forum :)

fiveshorts
11-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Well, I'd be more than happy to make the original hi-res JPG available... :-)

lukx
11-03-2005, 05:32 AM
what about making it in 3d?

fiveshorts
11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Well that would be spectacular totally controllable composition and color and specular but I don't have the required skillset. I'm a long-time Cinema user, but rarely make anything organic like this. It must be tough to make it look 'real'?

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.