PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Computer crashed and won't reboot!

TraceR
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Computers are great most of the time. Then there are those few moments when they are a pain in the a**. This is one of those times.

I was playing a game when all of a sudden I got the blue screen of death and my computer shut down. I have never gotten the bluescreen on my new computer, nor has it ever crashed. It then restarted and brought up a menu saying that my computer failed to boot normally. It gave me the following boot options:

Safe Mode.

Safe Mode Networking.

Safe Mode Command Promt.

Boot Windows to last know good configuration.

Boot Windows normally.

Well, when I choose one of those options, it will just restart and give me that menu again. I can't actaully get Windows to start. My computer has never given me this kind of trouble. Reinstalling Windows isn't an option right now either. I can't lose all my data on my hard drive.

This just ruined my day. If anyone knows how I can fix this please say so! I have to get this computer running.

lots
11-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Try to boot into safe mode. This will give a good indication if your Windows install has a problem, or if some driver corrupted. If safe mode boots successfully, then there is probably a driver problem, or some other software that is interfering with normal operation. If safe mode does not boot, then the problem might be a little deeper than just drivers. You may want to try to test your memory using memtest86. If safe mode does not work at all, chances are you will need to reinstall the OS. However, you should be able to save the data on your hard drive if you can run a CD based linux distro like Knoppix, or put the hard drive into another computer temporarily to transfer data.

TraceR
11-02-2005, 09:42 PM
yea it won't let me boot from any of the options it gave me. It just restarts and brings up the same window.

prixat
11-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Your restore CD will have a REPAIR option, that SHOULD keep your data intact.

Can you boot from a CD?

TraceR
11-02-2005, 10:00 PM
The automated system recovery needs an ASR floppy disk which I don't have. I never set it up. I know I am stupid.

MadMax
11-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Download Knoppix. It is a linux distribution I use in trouble shooting. It boots and runs from a DVD.

This will allow you to boot your computer and look at various hardware to make sure everything works.

If you see your harddrive, then you can at least back up your data.

TraceR
11-03-2005, 02:36 AM
FIXED!!

Ok, I think i figured out what was wrong. I first replaced the graphics card and that did nothing. I then took out two RAM modules and it booted right up. http://www.elysiun.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif I put one module back in and nothing appeared on the screen at all. With all 4 modules in place, I get the error I started with. But with only two, it works fine.

Still haven't figured out if the one or both RAM modules are bad or if one or both of the mobo slots is dead. Either way, something expensive got damaged. I have no idea how it could have happend, but I am just glad to have everything working.

Now, time to make a nice HD backup. http://www.elysiun.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

M@DM@X
11-03-2005, 04:41 PM
FIXED!!

Ok, I think i figured out what was wrong. I first replaced the graphics card and that did nothing. I then took out two RAM modules and it booted right up. http://www.elysiun.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif I put one module back in and nothing appeared on the screen at all. With all 4 modules in place, I get the error I started with. But with only two, it works fine.

Still haven't figured out if the one or both RAM modules are bad or if one or both of the mobo slots is dead. Either way, something expensive got damaged. I have no idea how it could have happend, but I am just glad to have everything working.

Now, time to make a nice HD backup. http://www.elysiun.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

glad you got it sorted out bro, are all your sticks of ram the same (ie. ddr400 ect) if there not that would have proberly caused the error you was seeing

TraceR
11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
No, they are all identical 512MB Dual Channel DDR400 Corsair sticks. They all worked fine for a good while before this happened. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.