PDA

View Full Version : Sketch and toon - any suggestions?

Archigraphica
11-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm still trying to get my head around all that sketch and toon can do. So I proposed using it for this project I'm working on and the client loved the idea. Now I just have to figure it out. So here's what I'm trying to do:

http://www.archigraphica.com/test.mov

Here's a little 3 second test. (<4mb) I'm working on a city scape. There's about 2 dozen buildings I need to highlight. What I'm thinking is to have a sketch animation showing the buildings being drawn in place. The thing I can't figure out is I want the lines to be drawn first, then the solid material filled in. Like your outlining something, then coloring the inside. I was playing with a display tag on the grey buildings but that didn't seem to work. Ideally I'd like this to be a marker texture but I can live with it being a solid like I've shown.

Any ideas?

thanks,

govinda
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I just answered in detail and then a Firefox mouse gesture killed it. Now I don't have time to rewrite it. Here's the basics of how I'd try it. It's two renders, object passes and comping in After Effects.

1) Sketch pass with alpha (search the forum for posts by obeardy re how to do this)
2) Fill pass, as many object mattes as you can get (still 6?)

Arrange the object passes so that they isolate buildings that don't overlap. In AE, use these mattes to do reveal masks of your fill render.

Archigraphica
11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. It's just a little more involved that I was looking for. I like to keep the simple stuff within Cinema if all possible.

Luckily after playing with tags and transparencies I figured out a way to fake it that goes for what I'm after. This was the first test so the timing isn't perfect but it gets the idea across.

http://www.archigraphica.com/sketchtest.mov

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.